Cycling in narrow lanes

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Oldjohnw

Re: Cycling in narrow lanes

Post by Oldjohnw »

I have generally not used the phrase 'almost everyone', rather 'the majority'

?
John
pwa

Post by pwa »

A few weeks ago I was cycling down a lane and approaching a bend, going quite slowly, and suddenly around the corner came a group of runners running at three or four abreast and almost taking up the width of the lane.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.4669204 ... 6?hl=en-GB

It is more steeply downhill than it looks in the image.

I slowed further, almost coming to a halt as two of them were looking around and not where they were going. At one point, with me almost stopped, I wondered if they were going to just plough into me. But the one who was looking forward called to the others to watch where they were going and they took evasive action. I didn't care which side of them they wanted me to go. I just wanted an gap, on either side. Quite funny really.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Oldjohnw wrote:Most of us use various forms of transport. I often wish that the ICE had never been invented and try to use as little as possible. But to demonise one whole group of people for the bad behaviour of the relatively few I can observe is not only poor evidence but is a divisive and unhelpful thing to do. And does nothing to improve transport or civil life except maintain animosity.

Yes. And especially to both parts of the last sentence.

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Riders in chain gangs are often only looking at the back of the wheel in front.

Somewhere in the Martin Porter blog there's a reference to a compo case where the judge found against a rider doing just that and MP was not best pleased. I was really surprised at that.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Oldjohnw wrote:

?

Yes, but possibly more ! than ?.

The recurrent inability to type s, o, m and e in that order on a keyboard wrecks the quality of discussion.

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Jdsk wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:

?

The recurrent inability to type s, o, m and e in that order on a keyboard wrecks the quality of discussion.

Jonathan

I might take up the challenge and do a count. If there is 51% offending I will accept that a majority is guilty at that particular junction. I do accept that almost everyone is greater than the majority and that Cyril wisely used the term he did.

Many years ago - like about a half a century or more - ok was taught two words/phrases I should be very careful about using; "You always..." and "You never..." Both are likely to be inaccurate.
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Yes.

But English has an additional problem because of unspecified quantification, eg "Drivers don't stop at STOP signs and this causes accidents". That doesn't contain any grammatical errors but how many drivers did the writer mean?

Jonathan
windysmithy

Post by windysmithy »

thirdcrank wrote:Matthew 7:1 - 7:5

Yeah but it takes forever to get a plank out of your own eye, painful too, what about splinters!
DaveBeck

Post by DaveBeck »

The thing that annoys me about Cyril, making these sweeping statements, whether it is about some/majority/most drivers (let's forget the ill informed advice about how to cycle on a road for now), is that he won't tell us where this God awful place is. Therefore he hasn't really provided any evidence that could perhaps be backed up, or refuted by someone else who either lives there, or is familiar with the place.

It makes me wonder if "Big town" as he calls it, actually exists outside of his imagination.

As I'm sure you've all seen, I told him, and all of you, where I live and cycle, so my experiences can be supported or even refuted. But if he wants to hide behind the blank screen of the WWW, that's his choice. I have to accept that, but he has to accept the fact that without knowing where this place is, and others backing him up, I don't really believe him.

The other thing I dislike is he seems to be trying to force us, almost in a Jeremy Clarkson style, into a blanket, constant state of antagonism towards a type of road user. This serves no useful purpose whatsoever, and does nothing to further co-operation and harmony between all road users. I fear, like someone else who commented, that any new visitors to this forum would feel we are all like that here. I for one don't wish to be associated with that position.

Sorry if that will upset you Cyril, or anyone else, but that's how I feel.

Dave B
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

It's certainly true that most drivers habitually break the law

https://www.hpi.co.uk/content/campaigns ... e-of-them/

This isn't automatically a criticism btw. I also do so as a cyclist - at a traffic light controlled junction near me I always stop in advance of the stop line on red, as I believe it's the only safe way to negotiate the junction.
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

markbiker wrote:I live in a rural area and have just started cycling.
The lanes are very narrow in places and only just wide enough for a car.
This morning I was cycling in one of the most narrow parts of my route where it is only just wide enough for a car. A car came up behind me and there was nowhere for me to pull over so I kept cycling to a wider part of the road where I would pull over.
While cycling at this point the car driver started hooting and continued to do so, probably for 10 or 12 times. I pulled over to let the driver past when I could.
What are cyclists rights in this situation?

As mentioned by Dave B, read Cyclecraft. As it happens, I have 2 copies, you're welcome to one if you want it. Send me a PM.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Oldjohnw wrote:
Jdsk wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:?

Jonathan

I might take up the challenge and do a count. If there is 51% offending I will accept that a majority is guilty at that particular junction. I do accept that almost everyone is greater than the majority and that Cyril wisely used the term he did.

Many years ago - like about a half a century or more - ok was taught two words/phrases I should be very careful about using; "You always..." and "You never..." Both are likely to be inaccurate.

We all k ow that 43% is a “clear majority” nowadays...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.