Bolton Abbey Cavendish private bridge closed

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Steve

Bolton Abbey Cavendish private bridge closed

Postby Steve » 29 Aug 2020, 3:46pm

I see the gate onto the back road from the Cavendish Pavilion near Bolton Abbey is locked again, and has a sign saying no access for cyclists. A bit of an inconvenience if you have to go up to Storiths instead!
This may be old news as I haven't been that way for a while.

RickH

Re: Bolton Abbey Cavendish private bridge closed

Postby RickH » 31 Aug 2020, 2:16pm

The OS map doesn't show any legitimate cycle route. There is a concessionary pootpath across the bridge by the pavilion.

I doubt if it would cause anyone a problem cycling along the road to the car park and between the pavilion end of the car park to the road across the bridge is only around 200 to 300 yards.

If it was me wanting to avoid the climb to Storiths & back down I would just take a short walk across the bridge. YMMV

Steve

Postby Steve » 31 Aug 2020, 4:48pm

Yes indeed, no right of way, and one could of course lift one's bike over the gate. But otherwise it might be useful to know, if riding down the valley and expecting to get through as of old at the Cavendish. The estate do employ a security squad to keep an eye on misbehaviour.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 31 Aug 2020, 5:27pm

If there's anywhere in the realm where you might orchestrate a test case on trespassing etc., I'd nominate the Bolton Abbey Estate and this bit in particular.

FWIW, the Cav Pav used to be something of a regular haunt of mine until it was tarted up perhaps 20 years ago.

Ben@Forest

Postby Ben@Forest » 3 Sep 2020, 5:16pm

thirdcrank wrote:If there's anywhere in the realm where you might orchestrate a test case on trespassing etc., I'd nominate the Bolton Abbey Estate and this bit in particular.

Why is it a good test case?

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 3 Sep 2020, 5:39pm

The Bolton Abbey Estate is very tightly managed as a moneymaking enterprise. From time to time we have threads about public access to private land eg is wheeling a pedal cycle on a public footpath permissible? AFAIK, it's an untested area of the law in England, not least because again AFAIK, nobody has been to court in England to test it. Whenever the subject has come up, the land belonging to this estate comes to mind, which is why I posted on here.