Cycle lane shambles

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
anniesboy

Cycle lane shambles

Postby anniesboy » 3 Sep 2020, 10:14am

Wonderful planning,lampost in middle of new cycle path

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/18689 ... an-school/
Last edited by anniesboy on 3 Sep 2020, 10:32am, edited 1 time in total.

thirdcrank

Re: Cycle lane shables

Postby thirdcrank » 3 Sep 2020, 10:34am

Oxfordshire County Council, which is in charge of maintaining highways, said the lamppost would eventually be removed and placed alongside the path, but the reflecting barrier had been placed around it to make it more obvious until then.

If this happens, then this is no more than a scheduling issue. There's an ancient thread on here somewhere with a pic of a telegraph pole in the middle of a cycle path. The only thing that's happened since I reported this is that a support cable has been added, making it even more dangerous.

thirdcrank

Re: Cycle lane shambles

Postby thirdcrank » 3 Sep 2020, 10:37am

mjr

Postby mjr » 3 Sep 2020, 11:39am

There are lampposts in the cycle lanes on the city side of Headington Hill since as long ago as I can remember. Maybe they could shift those while they're at it?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

atlas_shrugged

Postby atlas_shrugged » 7 Sep 2020, 6:20pm

The rule is wherever there is a nice cyclepath then it must be cut and messed up. This was probably the best cycle path in Oxford.

The same treatment was given to the cyclepath alongside the Cambridge guided busway at Clay Farm. It was cut and all pedestrians and cyclists have to press a beg button to get a green light permission to cross the road.

This is just due to council meanness as they could easily put in an underpass for the Greenway. See Stevenage for examples.

Postboxer

Postby Postboxer » 7 Sep 2020, 6:46pm

I would love to see what they would tell a developer who presented them with a plan to temporarily put a lamp-post in the middle of a lane of motorised traffic.

mjr

Postby mjr » 7 Sep 2020, 6:50pm

atlas_shrugged wrote:It was cut and all pedestrians and cyclists have to press a beg button to get a green light permission to cross the road.

You don't have to, as red man means "give way" but I know what you mean. It's rather irritating.

Postboxer wrote:I would love to see what they would tell a developer who presented them with a plan to temporarily put a lamp-post in the middle of a lane of motorised traffic.

The level of plan-checking that seems to go on about highways lately, they'd probably say nothing and bat away any public objections with "the highways department has offered no objection", then quickly U-turn once the press got hold of it. :(
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

basingstoke123

Postby basingstoke123 » 8 Sep 2020, 12:37am

It seems fairly common to move lampposts after making a path - pedestrian or cycle.

Why?

Not only does it compromise the surface, it must cost more money compared with doing things in the correct order.

Perhaps its easier to make most of the path when convenient for the contractors / builders, and filling in the hole(s) left by the lamppost(s) later is relatively cheap. Or someone in the office doesn't appreciate the practical effects of moving the lamppost afterwards. After all, it will make no difference to the electricity board. And the contractors making the path will be able to charge extra.

cycle tramp

Postby cycle tramp » 8 Sep 2020, 7:45am

basingstoke123 wrote:It seems fairly common to move lampposts after making a path - pedestrian or cycle.

Why?

Not only does it compromise the surface, it must cost more money compared with doing things in the correct order.

Perhaps its easier to make most of the path when convenient for the contractors / builders, and filling in the hole(s) left by the lamppost(s) later is relatively cheap. Or someone in the office doesn't appreciate the practical effects of moving the lamppost afterwards. After all, it will make no difference to the electricity board. And the contractors making the path will be able to charge extra.

The work involved in moving a lamp post may mean that the trunking underneath the road is disconnected and then re-routed which is a task undertaken by the power supply company, whereas the formation of the new cycle/foot way will be constructed by contractors or local government. Of the two the local power company will be the slowest to respond.

To be fair there are also three bollards in the photo (and perhaps more in actuality) which may be described as less visible but are equally in the cycle way (and look like they have been placed to stop motorised traffic from parking or using the cycleway) should they also not be considered hazardous, and as the lamp posts are around an entrace/exit from the road, should not any cyclists be moderating their speed at this point - especially when who has right of way may appear ambiguous at best?

atlas_shrugged

Postby atlas_shrugged » 8 Sep 2020, 8:21am

> should not any cyclists be moderating their speed at this point

No! What should happen is that the active travel cycle path should have priority using complete grade segregation. This is Oxfords premier cycle route and is heavily used by school children cycling to school. Cherwell school has the highest number of pupil cyclists in Oxford. Oxfordshire County Council many years ago passed a motion to 'prioritise active travel'. An underpass is very easy to build - see Stevenage for examples. Oxfordshire were told all of this by cycle campaigners.

Shame on you Oxfordshire planning (and Cranebridgeshire is just as bad). How long will it be before a pupil on a bike is injured here by a blind motorist?

Bmblbzzz

Postby Bmblbzzz » 8 Sep 2020, 9:42am

There are four bollards visible in the photo but they are on the centre line. The lamppost is in the middle of one lane of cycleway. Priority is clearly marked at the junction; whether drivers always respect it will have to be seen (my experience with similar arrangements has only been positive, but I'm not in Oxford).

cycle tramp

Postby cycle tramp » 8 Sep 2020, 4:41pm

Bmblbzzz wrote:There are four bollards visible in the photo but they are on the centre line. The lamppost is in the middle of one lane of cycleway. Priority is clearly marked at the junction; whether drivers always respect it will have to be seen (my experience with similar arrangements has only been positive, but I'm not in Oxford).

Good Lord, so it is - sorry I had to look twice as i didn't expect to see on there - personally I always take crossing a t junction on a cycle way like this very carefully, especially from vehicles who are travelling in the same direction as yourself... thoughts of a 'left hook' spring to mind.

Postboxer

Postby Postboxer » 9 Sep 2020, 4:15pm

The small bollards look like they may be removable, perhaps once drivers learn it's not a road? It's also not clear from the photo where the road is going to the left, the second road looks like it leads to a gate into a field. Perhaps not much traffic will be crossing the cycle path at either point.

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 10 Sep 2020, 7:09pm

Postboxer wrote:The small bollards look like they may be removable, perhaps once drivers learn it's not a road? It's also not clear from the photo where the road is going to the left, the second road looks like it leads to a gate into a field. Perhaps not much traffic will be crossing the cycle path at either point.

If there's little to no traffic then there is no reason for it to *not* give way.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

mikeymo

Postby mikeymo » 16 Sep 2020, 9:08pm

mjr wrote:
atlas_shrugged wrote:It was cut and all pedestrians and cyclists have to press a beg button to get a green light permission to cross the road.

You don't have to, as red man means "give way" but I know what you mean. It's rather irritating.

Is that what the red man means?

https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/rules-for-pedestrians-crossings.html#:~:text=22-,Pelican%20crossings.,figure%20shows%2C%20do%20not%20cross.