Black cyclists targeted

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
thelawnet

Re: Black cyclists targeted

Postby thelawnet » 16 Sep 2020, 4:55pm

AlaninWales wrote:
thelawnet wrote:

Not exactly

https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures.ser ... lts/latest

Black people were more likely to use drugs, Asian people much less.

Well from your source, slightly further down than the first page (I wonder why):
While the chart and table show apparent differences between ethnic groups in terms of illicit drug use, the small number of respondents for some groups means only the following observations are meaningful:

Black adults were more likely to have used illicit drugs in the 12 months prior to survey, compared to all other groups except Other White

separately, Black women were more likely to have have used illicit drugs, compared to all other groups except Other White and Mixed

Asian adults, and Asian women separately, were the least likely to have used illicit drugs in the 12 months prior to survey

an estimated 11.7% of Black adults used illicit drugs in the 12 months prior to the survey, compared with 3.4% of Asian adults

an estimated 9.7% of Black women used illicit drugs in the 12 months prior to the survey, compared with 0.4% of Asian women

In truth, it's a complicated issue with many causes and interacting cultures. Much of the interpretation will depend on the identification of the different ethnicities.

not sure what the significance of your quotes is.

It says that there was statistically significant evidence for black people using drugs more than any other racial group, and for Asian people using drugs less than any other group.

that's what I said.

Bmblbzzz

Postby Bmblbzzz » 17 Sep 2020, 10:49am

No, it says, taking the first line as an example: "Black adults were more likely to have used illicit drugs in the 12 months prior to survey, compared to all other groups except Other White"
I've bolded the bit which means, in effect, black adults are in second place.

At least as importantly, it's an issue on which simple colour categorisations are misleading; there will be variation depending on various factors such as religion, age, etc. and which particular drug you're considering. Rastafarians and cannabis? Clubbers (mostly white) and amphetamines? In short, different social groups have drugs of choice; including alcohol and tobacco.

MikeF

Postby MikeF » 18 Sep 2020, 10:44pm

TrevA wrote:If the cyclist in question has broken the law, then the Police should charge him for the specific offence. Searching him for drugs on the pretence that “he smells of cannabis” just reinforces the tired stereotype that all young black males are drug dealers and drives a wedge between the police and the black community.
So by the same token if a motor vehicle is stopped because the driver has committed a motoring offence, then the driver shouldn't be checked for blood alcohol if the police smell alcohol on his/her breath.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master

rob_wales

Postby rob_wales » 19 Sep 2020, 10:13am

Whatever it is that I might wish to say I do feel that it would be a mistake to say it, even though I think it would not be in any way offensive. Is that the kind of society we want to live in?