Black cyclists targeted

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
thelawnet

Re: Black cyclists targeted

Post by thelawnet »

AlaninWales wrote:
thelawnet wrote:

Not exactly

https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures.ser ... lts/latest

Black people were more likely to use drugs, Asian people much less.

Well from your source, slightly further down than the first page (I wonder why):
While the chart and table show apparent differences between ethnic groups in terms of illicit drug use, the small number of respondents for some groups means only the following observations are meaningful:

Black adults were more likely to have used illicit drugs in the 12 months prior to survey, compared to all other groups except Other White

separately, Black women were more likely to have have used illicit drugs, compared to all other groups except Other White and Mixed

Asian adults, and Asian women separately, were the least likely to have used illicit drugs in the 12 months prior to survey

an estimated 11.7% of Black adults used illicit drugs in the 12 months prior to the survey, compared with 3.4% of Asian adults

an estimated 9.7% of Black women used illicit drugs in the 12 months prior to the survey, compared with 0.4% of Asian women

In truth, it's a complicated issue with many causes and interacting cultures. Much of the interpretation will depend on the identification of the different ethnicities.

not sure what the significance of your quotes is.

It says that there was statistically significant evidence for black people using drugs more than any other racial group, and for Asian people using drugs less than any other group.

that's what I said.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

No, it says, taking the first line as an example: "Black adults were more likely to have used illicit drugs in the 12 months prior to survey, compared to all other groups except Other White"
I've bolded the bit which means, in effect, black adults are in second place.

At least as importantly, it's an issue on which simple colour categorisations are misleading; there will be variation depending on various factors such as religion, age, etc. and which particular drug you're considering. Rastafarians and cannabis? Clubbers (mostly white) and amphetamines? In short, different social groups have drugs of choice; including alcohol and tobacco.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

TrevA wrote:If the cyclist in question has broken the law, then the Police should charge him for the specific offence. Searching him for drugs on the pretence that “he smells of cannabis” just reinforces the tired stereotype that all young black males are drug dealers and drives a wedge between the police and the black community.
So by the same token if a motor vehicle is stopped because the driver has committed a motoring offence, then the driver shouldn't be checked for blood alcohol if the police smell alcohol on his/her breath.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

MikeF wrote:
TrevA wrote:If the cyclist in question has broken the law, then the Police should charge him for the specific offence. Searching him for drugs on the pretence that “he smells of cannabis” just reinforces the tired stereotype that all young black males are drug dealers and drives a wedge between the police and the black community.
So by the same token if a motor vehicle is stopped because the driver has committed a motoring offence, then the driver shouldn't be checked for blood alcohol if the police smell alcohol on his/her breath.

If he actually does smell of alcohol, then yes breathalyse him. However, I doubt that a bloke out on his bike, with his mates, dressed in full Lycra is going to smell of cannabis. They even admitted after the search that he no longer smelt of cannabis (I’ve seen the video of the incident, filmed by one of the other cyclists). It looks like just an excuse to stop and search a black guy on a pretence.

https://youtu.be/uDZCv215-IQ

Reasonable grounds to stop and search?

https://www.gov.uk/police-powers-to-sto ... our-rights
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

IOPC "Review identifies eleven opportunities for the Met to improve on stop and search"
https://policeconduct.gov.uk/news/review-identifies-eleven-opportunities-met-improve-stop-and-search

Jonathan
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

I've been breathalysed twice, both times when driving an older Rover Metro GTi and within about 6 months of each other. The second time, listening to my slightly exasperated (but entirely polite answers) the cop asked if this had happened before and when I said yes he responded 'Well it's the sort of car we pull over'.

I hadn't been drinking on either occasion, the car was entirely legal and have never been pulled over and breathalysed in any other car or van (and I've driven a few). That has to be profiling.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

It would seem to be an example of profiling leading to the wrong targets. They might have done better to look for behavioural indications of drink-driving rather than stop drivers based on the make and model of car.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

"I smell cannabis' is a well known tactic which police use for making searches when they need a something suspiscious as an excuse to target someone. I had it used on me in the USA a few times when I *know* there was no smell of cannabis on or about me & I had not been exposed to it in years, let alone recently enough to smell of it. They were going by how I looked (like a hippy), but they wouldn't/couldn't say that.

I think that it is entirely within reason for black cyclists to feel targetted when this kind of **** is used by people who should be protecting them. The police should be concentrating on things that will make a difference, rather than using dishonest tactics like this. They also need to weed out (pun intended) the officers who pull crap like that.

One of the biggest issues with eliminating discrimination in policing is that few individual cases are obviously discriminatory, but the data on the whole show discriminatory practices.

While these articles are mainly about stop & search, the problems carry over into related areas.

https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/sit ... report.pdf
https://fullfact.org/crime/does-stop-search-work/
https://academic.oup.com/bjc/article/58/5/1212/4827589

Regarding offending rates, in general, when they correct for income/poverty, the offending rates are more similar than might be suggested by the surveys referenced above.

p.s. we've discussed much of this stuff before.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=127326
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=100981
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Police spying inquiry to examine targeting of UK black justice groups

Judge will hear evidence on undercover operations against campaigns such as Stephen Lawrence

A public inquiry into undercover policing is poised to reveal details of how police repeatedly spied on black justice groups, including several run by grieving families whose relatives were killed by police or died in custody.

The judge-led inquiry was launched six years ago by the home secretary at the time, Theresa May, after the Guardian revealed police covertly monitored the campaign for justice over the racist murder of Stephen Lawrence.

The inquiry is due to scrutinise how the police spied on at least 17 other, mainly black, grieving families between 1970 and 2005. Many are high–profile cases that have been the source of tension between the Metropolitan police and minority communities for many years.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/oct/28/police-spying-inquiry-examine-targeting-black-justice-groups
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
MOARspeed

Post by MOARspeed »

Perhaps it was racial profiling, perhaps it wasn't, maybe the officer was simply pissed off about his colleagues getting injured during the "mostly peaceful" riots..... Whatever it was, the media has driven a wedge between us all, and the Police are just people.