Cyclists on the road with two bikes, up to no good?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
PDQ Mobile

Re: Cyclists on the road with two bikes, up to no good?

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Mike Sales wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:Illegal because the ridden bike does not have two functioning brakes?

And on the one being ridden only one can be used.

Yes, was my meaning.
And there's extra weight to stop too.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:Illegal because the ridden bike does not have two functioning brakes?

The law says nothing about being able to use the brakes, only that they must be functional.

One just knew this would be argued.
I suggest after hitting something you could argue it in the Magistrates Court.
They could take the view that the second brake was not functioning? And correctly IMV.
Though clearly there are one armed (and legged) cyclists. There was one (arm, no pun etc) on here asking about just this some time ago.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

We have at least one regular with only one arm.

The point wasn’t that that it was a good idea, but that the law is an ass
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The regs require the fitting of certain brakes. They say nothing about the rider being able to use them.

Imagine somebody riding "no hands." They wouldn't be charged with riding a pedal cycle not fitted with brakes.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:

Yes, was my meaning.
And there's extra weight to stop too.

The bike being towed has no functioning brakes!
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

thirdcrank wrote:The regs require the fitting of certain brakes. They say nothing about the rider being able to use them.

Imagine somebody riding "no hands." They wouldn't be charged with riding a pedal cycle not fitted with brakes.

But riding without "due care and attention"?
Maybe.
The point being in the event of an accident the culpability could easily be put onto a cyclist "riding" two bikes with just one brake.

I have done it myself, by the way.
Mea culpa.
Though wouldn't fancy it now (age) or in heavy traffic
pq

Post by pq »

I used to transport my (brakeless) track bike around like that in my younger days. It was stupid and dangerous, I wouldn't do it now.
One link to your website is enough. G
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

PDQ Mobile wrote: ... But riding without "due care and attention" ...

Almost certainly "due care" if action were to be taken. It wouldn't help a civil claim either.

Remember, the OP's implication was that one of the bikes being moved was probably nicked. In which case, careless cycling would be a side issue.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

This was common in my youth.A man would ride to pub but walk home,so landlord would ask son to drop off bike.Also a person getting a lift to work would drop off bike day before so he could ride home.Roads were quiet and little risk taken.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mike Sales wrote:

Front hand brake and a backpedal brake could be used.

As I've noted before, the UK law requiring two brakes only makes sense on utility bikes as a failsafe for a failed brake anyway. In normal operation, once the back wheel is lifting, its brake is irrelevant.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Just before we got married I had one bike and no car .Our flat would be 16 miles from where I worked so I needed a second bike as a back up. Found a second hand one in south London 8 miles away. Cycled over to collect it, rode back as described above. Fixed wheel made controlling them much easier.

Ironically the reason for the sale was because the owner was getting engaged - "it's me or the bike"?
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I remember an episode involving my blue VW beetle, my mate's Honda 750 VF and some climbing rope...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

simonineaston wrote:I remember an episode involving my blue VW beetle, my mate's Honda 750 VF and some climbing rope...

My dad towed me home on my broken down Raleigh Roma (80cc. motor scooter).
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I recall both seeing and doing this (cycling and wheeling another bike) rather often as a youngster. Presumably always legitimately.
John
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

simonineaston wrote:I remember an episode involving my blue VW beetle, my mate's Honda 750 VF and some climbing rope...

Which way around?

My brother once towed me up to 30mph on our farm driveway, him on his motorbike, me on a skateboard. I can't skateboard very well, it wobbled and I almost managed to stay on my feet, my legs sprinting to catch up with my body, only falling over as I slipped on the straw in the field whilst trying to turn sharply to lose some speed.