Cyclists on the road with two bikes, up to no good?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
alexnharvey

Cyclists on the road with two bikes, up to no good?

Post by alexnharvey »

Recently I see quite a few cyclists on the streets of Cambridge riding along holding another bike by the stem. I would say at least once or twice a week. I often wonder if they have stolen the other bike having found it unsecured or too lightly secured.

Do you frequently see others doing this on your roads and do you draw the same conclusion? Maybe you do it yourself for non-nefarious purposes? I'm not sure if my cycling skills are up to the task!
thirdcrank

Re: Cyclists on the road with two bikes, up to no good?

Post by thirdcrank »

Not a regular sight around here, but it's very easy to do: you just need to hold the riderless bike by the centre of the bars. Easier on the flat or gentle terrain than big hills.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I once got stopped in Oxford when taking my now wife's bike to meet her finishing a late shift, along with mine. Sensible policing, I thought.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I wouldn't assume that.

I've done it in the past but wouldn't now. Technique as above.

Jonathan
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

alexnharvey wrote:Recently I see quite a few cyclists on the streets of Cambridge riding along holding another bike by the stem. I would say at least once or twice a week. I often wonder if they have stolen the other bike having found it unsecured or too lightly secured.

Do you frequently see others doing this on your roads and do you draw the same conclusion? Maybe you do it yourself for non-nefarious purposes? I'm not sure if my cycling skills are up to the task!

Not necessarily stolen.
I have delivered bikes like this. It is perhaps less difficult than you imagine. It is even possible to stop without putting a foot to the ground.
I have also taken a nephew's bike in this way to pick him up from school (after he was taken there by car). It is rather harder with a small childs bike. He boasted that I could ride three bikes at once!
I have not seen anyone else do this since the first time I saw it, many years ago
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I may have posted this before:- At district police training centre in 1967, one of the lessons dealt with prioritising things. The accompanying film included a scene with a policeman on what used to be called point duty - not a common sight even then. The eagle-eyed star of this production left his traffic point - complete with long white mac IIRC - and walked over to a utility cyclist obediently waiting for the signal to proceed. After the briefest of interviews his collar was literally felt and to the loud hoots of laughter from the live audience he was marched off having been given away by the stolen bike being a ladies' model.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Could it be illegal? Rule 68 of The Highway Code "You must not hold onto a moving vehicle or trailer", not to mention "ride in a dangerous, careless or inconsiderate manner".
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It's not the "holding on" offence which is here:

26 Holding or getting on to vehicle in order to be towed or carried.

(2) If, for the purpose of being drawn, a person takes or retains hold of a motor vehicle or trailer while in motion on a road he is guilty of an offence.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/26
whoof

Post by whoof »

Have seen this on quite a few occasions. Someone having done their days 'work' in Bristol city centre then riding up the Bristol-Bath railway path with their 'wages'. Stood behind a couple of sorts at a Toucan crossing with one saying "yesterday got a Cannondale, a couple and snips and I was gone".

As to riding with another bike being against the law there are laws saying you can't drive on the pavement, enter an advanced cycle stop box on a red light or obstruct a cycle path by parking in it. These are pursued probably as often as the French laws again kissing on a train or calling your pig Napoleon.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I've done it once, and wouldn't describe it as easy.

Another cyclist had stopped due a medical issue, ambulance took them away, I took the bike to my office to lock it up securely for them.

Took me quite a while to get the remaining mile or so to the office, and it was anything but easy - yes, I was holding the stem of the other bike, but the coordination to ride two bikes at the same time was challenging to say the least.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Illegal because the ridden bike does not have two functioning brakes?
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

PDQ Mobile wrote:Illegal because the ridden bike does not have two functioning brakes?

And on the one being ridden only one can be used.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mike Sales wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:Illegal because the ridden bike does not have two functioning brakes?

The law says nothing about being able to use the brakes, only that they must be functional.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:

The law says nothing about being able to use the brakes, only that they must be functional.

A.P.Herbert might have used this thinking in his Misleading Cases. Have you tried paying a bill with a cow-cheque?
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

I once seen this done for no real reason I needed to have a go myself, got about 100 yards and thought this is easy - and then it went horribly wrong and ended up in a big tangle of two bikes, damaged both bikes and myself. Have had no wish to ever try it again