Slow cycling only!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mjr

Re: Slow cycling only!

Post by mjr »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Suffered another bullying attempt by a speeding cyclist yesterday, he rung his bell to scare me, instead of waiting a few seconds he rode on the grass to get by

I think you might be interpreting emotions where there was none. I often ring my bell on approach to overtaking an even-slower cyclist, so as not to scare them when I appear alongside.

Passing on the grass is a bit odd, though, but why not if it's flat grass and they've got a bike that doesn't plough it?
Observed an €cyclist UNDERtaking, power without responsibility, grr

"Undertaking" is a pejorative term used to motorists to demonise and discourage sensible-width vehicles passing them on the left and I am really surprised to see it in the above.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

On the grass and too near the motors and less than 2m from me

Undertaking: going by on the inside, a standard word on these fora I think. This was on a plain stretch of cycle way, no parked vehicles, not at a junction
The victim should have been on the near side of course, but that is no excuse
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Undertaking: going by on the inside, a standard word on these fora I think. This was on a plain stretch of cycle way, no parked vehicles, not at a junction
The victim should have been on the near side of course, but that is no excuse

The fact is, when you catch up a slower cyclist you can have them in your sights for quite a while without them looking around and seeing you, and in that time you can be pondering how to pass or whether to wait. And by the time you get to them, if they are "on the wrong side" you may well think "Oh, well, if they are on the wrong side and blocking a conventional pass I will nip by on the only side they have left open to me, if it looks safe..." I think that is reasonable. Safety is the key thing.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

One should not pass on wrong side, what if they veer to the near side at that moment?
I ring my bell and wait, I go slower if necessary
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

mjr wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Suffered another bullying attempt by a speeding cyclist yesterday, he rung his bell to scare me, instead of waiting a few seconds he rode on the grass to get by

I think you might be interpreting emotions where there was none. I often ring my bell on approach to overtaking an even-slower cyclist, so as not to scare them when I appear alongside.

That's good, thanks. I call out, but it's the same idea. And I'm not scared when others helpfully let me know by doing something similar. And it doesn't look to me as if they are when on on the receiving end. Of course that's only going from the looks, smiles and waves that characterise cycling. It's perfectly possible that they actually think that I'm a serial killer or that I'm going to ask them where they're from.

Jonathan
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cyril Haearn wrote:One should not pass on wrong side, what if they veer to the near side at that moment?
I ring my bell and wait, I go slower if necessary

If you are passing on the wrong side it must be because the person you are passing are themselves on the wrong side. You are falling into line with the pattern they have set up. And hopefully you pass carefully, watching the other person for any sign of deviation. It may be different in Germany, where you live, but UK cycle tracks / shared use paths do not have strict rules of use that are widely known. Some of us apply "rules of the road" where that seems practicable but a lot of the public treat them as informally as footpaths, so sometimes you go along with that but with caution.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Undertaking is one thing, 'passing on the wrong side' could mean going right instead of left, and vice-versa :?

Did I mention that I was once stopped by Constable West and Sargent Mercia? They had observed that I was *driving* quite slowly
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

mjr wrote:Do you have a link to the previous complaint discussion, rather than repeat it? The nearest I found when searching was viewtopic.php?f=7&t=119744&hilit=impatient

Nope, that isn't the one. I think it disappeared/got swamped by "thread drift" - AKA we don't like what he's saying so we'll bury it in irrelevances.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Labrat

Post by Labrat »

Cyril Haearn wrote: he rung his bell to scare me,

Can’t [rude word removed] win can you?

Ring bell - “he rung his bell to scare me”
Don’t ring bell - “should have had a bell”
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

rmurphy195 wrote:
mjr wrote:Do you have a link to the previous complaint discussion, rather than repeat it? The nearest I found when searching was viewtopic.php?f=7&t=119744&hilit=impatient

Nope, that isn't the one. I think it disappeared/got swamped by "thread drift" - AKA we don't like what he's saying so we'll bury it in irrelevances.

Looks like this one is going the same way.
Whistles and bells!!

However the other one stayed very polite and swearing free. :wink:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Labrat wrote:

Can’t <i>[rude word removed]</i> win can you?

There was no room to get by safely, he should have waited

I cycled the same bit the next day, a PoF was in front of me, I showed right down, stopped for a moment. 100m further there is a separate footpath, lots of space so I could tootle by, I must have lost maybe ten seconds :wink:
mjr

Post by mjr »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Labrat wrote:

Can’t <i>[rude word removed]</i> win can you?

There was no room to get by safely, he should have waited

It sounded from your previous description like he got by safely, albeit by riding on some grass. Some National Cycle Network routes are only grass and there are quite a lot of people with bikes that can ride on it safely (as can mine, although it's slower and I prefer tarmac).

I cycled the same bit the next day, a PoF was in front of me, I showed right down, stopped for a moment. 100m further there is a separate footpath, lots of space so I could tootle by, I must have lost maybe ten seconds :wink:

The walker probably cursed you for sneaking up behind them and not ringing your bell!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

She was probably unaware of my presence :wink:
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

PoF ??? Google threw up some interesting options.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

PoF is person on foot, or walker of course