Combined cycle/footpath woes

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
thirdcrank

Re: Combined cycle/footpath woes

Post by thirdcrank »

The A607 is an A road in England that starts in Leicester[1] and heads northeastwards through Leicestershire and the town of Grantham, Lincolnshire, terminating at Bracebridge Heath,[2] a village on the outskirts of Lincoln. It is a primary route from Thurmaston to the A1 junction at Grantham.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A607_road

If "your" bit is the primary route bit, it's the responsibility of Highways England. AFAIK, they sometimes do their own maintenance, sometimes the local authority act as agents.
ChrisP100

Post by ChrisP100 »

thirdcrank wrote:
The A607 is an A road in England that starts in Leicester[1] and heads northeastwards through Leicestershire and the town of Grantham, Lincolnshire, terminating at Bracebridge Heath,[2] a village on the outskirts of Lincoln. It is a primary route from Thurmaston to the A1 junction at Grantham.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A607_road

If "your" bit is the primary route bit, it's the responsibility of Highways England. AFAIK, they sometimes do their own maintenance, sometimes the local authority act as agents.

It's not on the primary route, so I think it's the County Council. I'll see what they say now I've reported it.
mjr

Post by mjr »

thirdcrank wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A607_road

No, it's primary but not strategic (what was trunk). It's not shown on Highways England's network map:

so it's probably the county's.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
atlas_shrugged

Post by atlas_shrugged »

You can try and clear some of the path yourself. I did this with a 100m section of path. If you cut the grass/ivy/overgrowth where the path ends at the sides then you can often roll up the overgrowth like a carpet. This makes it very fast to clear. The advantage of this method is that others will often come and join in to help, sometimes straight away. In my case after clearing the path on one side someone later came along and cut back all the brambles.

An effective incentive would be to charge the local authority responsible for this essential maintenance a reasonable rate to do this work - say £1000/hour. After all, this is the modest rate lawyers are paid to stretch out legal resolutions, to three years, for cases involving crashes with cyclists.
mjr

Post by mjr »

atlas_shrugged wrote:You can try and clear some of the path yourself.

That's keeping a dog and barking yourself. We pay taxes for government to maintain highways.

[...]An effective incentive would be to charge the local authority responsible for this essential maintenance a reasonable rate to do this work - say £1000/hour. After all, this is the modest rate lawyers are paid to stretch out legal resolutions, to three years, for cases involving crashes with cyclists.

Ooh that would avoid my objection!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
northerncyclist

Post by northerncyclist »

Whenever you complain always use the words this is very dangerous...only if it is of course....Reiterate how dangerous and add their responsibilities towards injured people. Mention their liabilities once they are told of a problem and things get done....Can all be done in a few lines so keep it short and make them feel uncomfortably responsible.
ChrisP100

Post by ChrisP100 »

northerncyclist wrote:Whenever you complain always use the words this is very dangerous...only if it is of course....Reiterate how dangerous and add their responsibilities towards injured people. Mention their liabilities once they are told of a problem and things get done....Can all be done in a few lines so keep it short and make them feel uncomfortably responsible.

This is pretty much what I put.

"The combined cycle/footpath is not wide enough to safely accommodate pedestrians and cyclist side by side. The verges are not suited to cycling on safely, so passing on the grass is out of the question.

What makes the problem worse is that pedestrians wearing headphones and travelling in the same direction as cyclists have limited situational awareness and can be dangerously unpredictable when attempting to pass.

Given that the road is not lit by street lighting it further exacerbates the problem due to poor visibility in these darkening months."

Still waiting on a reply.