NDC41 In BS11, Bristol

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Redvee

NDC41 In BS11, Bristol

Post by Redvee »

This might also be of note in the LEJoG board too.

NCN41 in Lawrence Weston is diverted currently, this has been ongoing for the last few months with a shorter diversion along SaltMarsh Drive starting where the 'city farm is located then meeting up with the original route further along SaltMarsh Drive, this was caused by works relating to the laying of cables from Hinkley Point.
The other diversion which locals in the area have been told about is where the BMX track is by Henacre Road as the open space which NCN41 runs through will become a building site soon with 100+ houses being built there. In the last week when I've ridden through there workmen have been clearing the shrubland back and cutting some of the trees and bushes back and today the cycleway was closed off completely between the BMX track and Kings Weston Lane with the diversion taking to onto Henacre Road then along Long Cross to the roundabout and straight over the roundabout till you get to the school and meet with the route again.

https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/51. ... 2.67319,17
whoof

Re: NDC41 In BS11, Bristol

Post by whoof »

I've mentioned this on the LEJOG section a couple of times. It's been like this all year. Unfortunately there are no diversion signs.
You can go around it by turning right (heading North) then left on to Long Cross and rejoining at Lawerence Weston Rd.
Personally I go left, Kings Weston Lane, right Merebank and right at roundabout on to Poplar Way East, left Packgate Rd and the join NCN 410 to Halen
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

I got caught out when I forst rode the closed section by the City Farm, saw the sign saying path was closed and totally ignored it as did the cyclist ahead of me, now I turn right when I get to the City Fame onto SaltMarsh Drive.

whoof wrote:Personally I go left, Kings Weston Lane, right Merebank and right at roundabout on to Poplar Way East, left Packgate Rd and the join NCN 410 to Halen

Anothe option in the area that people don't realise is available is to go under the M5 after coming down the hill or straight across the road after coming off the bridge and taking the path that follows the exit sliproad then goes under the motorway and comes out by the bakery after climbing 6 steps onto Second Way then nearly straight across the road onto a new path that takes you onto Boundary Road and Access 18 which is close to MereBank.
The new path isn't that new but is still too new to shop up on most maps, the only one I've found it on is OpenStreetMap and shown as a dotted line by Williment Way.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/51.50239/-2.68253
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

It's that time of year again when the pumps fail in the subway that takes the cycle route under the M49. I only found out about this today as I've been off for three weeks, luckily a local dog walker I stop and chat to also uses the subway and alerted me to the issue. Not sure how bad the flooding is but apparently it's too deep to ride through. Several people have reported the issue on Fixmystreet, I've just added a report on Fillthathole.

redveee_26065887_1864352540542879_5330568264223293440_n.jpg
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Redvee wrote:It's that time of year again when the pumps fail in the subway that takes the cycle route under the M49. I only found out about this today as I've been off for three weeks, luckily a local dog walker I stop and chat to also uses the subway and alerted me to the issue. Not sure how bad the flooding is but apparently it's too deep to ride through. Several people have reported the issue on Fixmystreet, I've just added a report on Fillthathole.

redveee_26065887_1864352540542879_5330568264223293440_n.jpg

needs one of those depth marker boards! :wink:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Glad to report it is now clear of water though the surface might be slippery cause of the mud etc left behind. Went to work and checked on the water level from the side closest to work and there was no water in the subway :D
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

This aforementioned subway was flooded again today, I haven't reported it yet but will do Wednesday but don't expect it to be dealt with before Christmas. For those that know the area there is another subway that goes under the M5 sliproad and that as also flooded tonight but only to 8", just enough to soak your feet at the bottom of the pedal stroke :(
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Practically everywhere here in Bristol that usually has trouble with water, is having trouble with it at the mo'!... My go-to indicator, one of the weirs along the Frome, in Eastville, is positively scary!!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Boring_Username

Post by Boring_Username »

simonineaston wrote:Practically everywhere here in Bristol that usually has trouble with water, is having trouble with it at the mo'!... My go-to indicator, one of the weirs along the Frome, in Eastville, is positively scary!!

To be fair, Eastville is pretty scary at any time of year.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

simonineaston wrote:Practically everywhere here in Bristol that usually has trouble with water, is having trouble with it at the mo'!... My go-to indicator, one of the weirs along the Frome, in Eastville, is positively scary!!

I assume this is the one by the big blue Swedish home store.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Not the weir near Ikea - too depressing as always foaming & full of detritus... but rather the Colston weir, upstream by about a mile, past the lake in Eastville Park. The good folk of Bristol, determined as they are to remove any reference to the word Colston, have been busy, however, while I can see that thought should be given to naming a whole school, full of youngsters learning about their past, and indeed socking great towers, with the name emblazoned on top for all to see, a simple reference to the historical name of a geographical feature, half hidden in the woods, seems to me to be an example of that old cliché, 'political correctness gone mad'! Nice little blog here (not by me, mind).
screenshot of cycle.travel
screenshot of cycle.travel
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)