Good luck to you

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
peetee

Good luck to you

Post by peetee »

To the rider I saw on the A30 near Liskeard, I hope you got the Bodmin safely.
I have no idea if he uses this forum but thought I would say it all the same. The conditions were lousy when I saw you and worse was to come. As I continued driving the low sun and wet road made visibility very poor but most drivers didn’t let that slow them down even though your presence on such a road must have made for an unusual obstacle that should have been still present in their minds when they passed me.
I was going to finish with what I think about those drivers but, well quite simply, words fail me.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
John Holiday

Re: Good luck to you

Post by John Holiday »

Yes, usual total lack of hazard awareness
How do they get driving licences?
Take care
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

John Holiday wrote:Yes, usual total lack of hazard awareness
How do they get driving licences?
Take care

What relevance does hazard awareness have with regard to driving licenses.
I know there is now a hazard perception test involved - but for the vast majority of people on the roads that wasn't a thing at all. And frankly I expect it's like any other exam, it's only retained for the duration of the test.

My driving instructor completely changed their driving style when they were driving me home after my driving test... "Driving to show good habits rather than driving realistically" apparently.
I'd like to see mandatory black boxes (local storage only) as well as 5 yearly retests...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

What are these black boxes?
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

A telemetry device, newly qualified drivers have them.
Barks

Post by Barks »

My daughters car has a black box on her car, she is 20 and been driving for nearly three years. It is a GPS enabled tracker device that records where the car goes, the types of roads and the way it is driven (records erratic acceleration, braking and cornering) as well as the speed and whether or not she has taken appropriate rest breaks. She gets a report each month that sets out her performance graphically. She has had one month in the three years where her ‘performance’ dropped and it coincided with her ‘release’ from lockdown when she went to her student flat in Bath and onto Cornwall fora three week job at a drive in cinema. The poor ‘report’ pulled her right up, she is now back on track, driving back to standard and now again on track to have her insurance premium reduced for the third time. Having had first hand experience I am firmly convinced they should be compulsory on all motor vehicles on the road. If you repeatedly fail to keep on track your insurance will go up with the ultimate sanction of it being suspended. Having had experience of a similar system in my last job it is perfectly capable of reporting individual cases of excess speed and sending out a formal notification - it can easily be set up to send out Fixed Penalty Notices to the registered keeper who would have to declare who was driving with fines and points allocated accordingly. Not without some aspects that would require some coordination between police and insurance companies but compulsory fitting would be a massive step forward in the potential to curtail careless and reckless driving. I have written to my MP on this and been given a courteous reply yet sadly nothing positive in supporting it.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Yes, the technology is now there to enforce existing laws in a way that wasn't envisaged when they were passed.

We should be addressing this.

See also the discussion in the thread which mentions slow cycling in the Subject and how autonomous vehicles can prevent breaches as well as recording them:
https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=141137&hilit=slow#p1532496

Jonathan
sjs

Post by sjs »

Barks wrote:My daughters car has a black box on her car, she is 20 and been driving for nearly three years. It is a GPS enabled tracker device that records where the car goes, the types of roads and the way it is driven (records erratic acceleration, braking and cornering) as well as the speed and whether or not she has taken appropriate rest breaks. She gets a report each month that sets out her performance graphically. She has had one month in the three years where her ‘performance’ dropped and it coincided with her ‘release’ from lockdown when she went to her student flat in Bath and onto Cornwall fora three week job at a drive in cinema. The poor ‘report’ pulled her right up, she is now back on track, driving back to standard and now again on track to have her insurance premium reduced for the third time. Having had first hand experience I am firmly convinced they should be compulsory on all motor vehicles on the road. If you repeatedly fail to keep on track your insurance will go up with the ultimate sanction of it being suspended. Having had experience of a similar system in my last job it is perfectly capable of reporting individual cases of excess speed and sending out a formal notification - it can easily be set up to send out Fixed Penalty Notices to the registered keeper who would have to declare who was driving with fines and points allocated accordingly. Not without some aspects that would require some coordination between police and insurance companies but compulsory fitting would be a massive step forward in the potential to curtail careless and reckless driving. I have written to my MP on this and been given a courteous reply yet sadly nothing positive in supporting it.

My daughter's black box helped her win an argument with Asda's parking enforcers, who claimed she'd overstayed (who would want to spend more than three hours in an Asda?). In fact she'd been there for two short visits and they'd somehow "missed" the first departure and the second arrival.
pwa

Post by pwa »

sjs wrote:
Barks wrote:My daughters car has a black box on her car, she is 20 and been driving for nearly three years. It is a GPS enabled tracker device that records where the car goes, the types of roads and the way it is driven (records erratic acceleration, braking and cornering) as well as the speed and whether or not she has taken appropriate rest breaks. She gets a report each month that sets out her performance graphically. She has had one month in the three years where her ‘performance’ dropped and it coincided with her ‘release’ from lockdown when she went to her student flat in Bath and onto Cornwall fora three week job at a drive in cinema. The poor ‘report’ pulled her right up, she is now back on track, driving back to standard and now again on track to have her insurance premium reduced for the third time. Having had first hand experience I am firmly convinced they should be compulsory on all motor vehicles on the road. If you repeatedly fail to keep on track your insurance will go up with the ultimate sanction of it being suspended. Having had experience of a similar system in my last job it is perfectly capable of reporting individual cases of excess speed and sending out a formal notification - it can easily be set up to send out Fixed Penalty Notices to the registered keeper who would have to declare who was driving with fines and points allocated accordingly. Not without some aspects that would require some coordination between police and insurance companies but compulsory fitting would be a massive step forward in the potential to curtail careless and reckless driving. I have written to my MP on this and been given a courteous reply yet sadly nothing positive in supporting it.

My daughter's black box helped her win an argument with Asda's parking enforcers, who claimed she'd overstayed (who would want to spend more than three hours in an Asda?). In fact she'd been there for two short visits and they'd somehow "missed" the first departure and the second arrival.

My wife had the same thing at Tesco. She went in one evening on her way home from work. The next day, on her way to work, she popped back there for something she had forgotten. The crucial thing is that by flook she used the same space.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

sjs wrote:

Before I got my wheelchair it took me in excess of 45 minutes to collect bread and milk... fortunately my wife was able to do the shopping for me, but it’s very easy to need more than the allotted time.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
pwa

Post by pwa »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
sjs wrote:Before I got my wheelchair it took me in excess of 45 minutes to collect bread and milk... fortunately my wife was able to do the shopping for me, but it’s very easy to need more than the allotted time.

The good news is that when you call the supermarket to talk to them about a fine you have received, they do listen to what you are saying and they do get the fine withdrawn, there and then. When my wife had her fine the lady on the other end of the call was very apologetic about it, told my wife to just rip it up, and she cancelled it straightaway.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

The good news is that when you call the supermarket to talk to them about a fine you have received, they do listen to what you are saying and they do get the fine withdrawn, there and then. When my wife had her fine the lady on the other end of the call was very apologetic about it, told my wife to just rip it up, and she cancelled it straightaway.

That's fine when the supermarket do the car park admin. Unfortunately many of them sub contract it to parking companies who tend to take a tougher line with problems