Confession Time

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Mick F
Spambuster

Confession Time

Post by Mick F »

Had a 15mile ride today. Really enjoyed it, and wish I'd done double that.
First ride since 21st September, and that was only 20miles.

Before that, it was 16th September at 18miles, and before that 30th August for 28miles.
Been too busy doing stuff ................. and not cycling. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Mick F. Cornwall
rjb

Re: Confession Time

Post by rjb »

Some times other stuff takes priority, there's no shame in it. Absence makes the heart grow stronger. Enjoy it while you have a free moment. :D
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Quite despondent with cycling this year. Seem to have lost my "mojo" as far as getting off my butt and onto the bike. Hasn't taken much of an excuse to stop me going out. Worst total mileage, year to date, ever since started recording in 2009. Obviously the coronavirus pandemic has had an effect on everyone and not had my annual Majorca fix which hasn't helped. Been out this morning for 27 mile ride in the Autumn sunshine but found it hard work and don't my legs know it. :roll: :oops:
P.S. Mind the weather hasn't helped this year or the wrong forecasts. :? :(
Last edited by cycleruk on 11 Oct 2020, 6:52pm, edited 1 time in total.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

cycleruk wrote:Quite despondent with cycling this year. Seem to have lost my "mojo" as far as getting off my butt and onto the bike.
I had 2 years of cycling apathy. Last year was probably my lowest annual mileage in 50 years. This year the Covid restrictions in March motivated me to get out for my permitted daily exercise, but I did not want to be seen to be taking the mickey so I started going out for a ride before breakfast. I ride into the dawn for only an hour or maybe two, so have loops of between 14 and 32 miles. So far I have been out almost every day since March. Small doses, but my annual mileage is up a bit although I still missed my usual 1000 mile plus tour.
ChrisP100

Post by ChrisP100 »

My cycling had been quite erratic until late when I decided to bite the bullet and start commuting by bike.

I now do over 100km per week, and I don't feel guilty about going out riding when I have other things I could be doing.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I find its easy to find an excuse not to ride, miss 1 ride and missing a second is easier, before you know it riding apathy has set in. I've been riding 45 years and i still fall into the trap but if i force myself to go out, for even a short ride around the block, i feel so much better.

I confess, i'm a cycleholic, anything over a couple of days without a ride sends me loopy :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

No cycle tour overseas this year meant I cba commuting by bike when furlough ended. Although van was in the converters so I had to use my bike for one week. Right back to apathy.

I'm more of a family cyclist, with a 7 yo it's never that far and commuting is only 14 miles per day. It's really only the build up to cycle tour that we do more.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

think I'm going the other way in that I can't leave it alone, sometimes don't really want to go out but know I won't be happy until I'm on the road. Not really sure what's going on but don't think its healthy, may be some form of addiction going on ? Seem to need to be wear my self down to a frazzle knocking out endless miles on the bike. 8,000 miles in the last 12 months is far from normal. Pity I couldn't have a normal addiction around drink drugs and debauchery.
Cyclewala

Post by Cyclewala »

Some absence can be good for recovery and for rekindling one's mojo.

Too long though, and it puts you so far back you feel like a new rider.

I had 3 months off the bike due to a back injury and on return last week, I thought I was going to pass out half way up the first serious hill.

Makes one realise how fit one must be normally compared to those that lead sedentary lives.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Sometimes I do more hiking than cycling. I see them as the same basic thing, moving through a landscape under my own steam, exposed to the elements. I don't worry at all if the bike stays in the garage for a while. I know I'll go back to it when the time is right.
Ivorcadaver

Post by Ivorcadaver »

Before the dreaded C, I was cycling 28 miles a day to and from work. To be frank I was generally too knackered to do any leisure cycling on top of that. With furlough and now working from home, the miles dropped to effectively zero over summer and to be honest I don’t find cycling locally on roads pleasant due to traffic. On a recent trips to both NYorks andGalloway in Scotland I greatly enjoyed riding forest trails on my road/gravel bike which I have equipped with lower gearing and some fat tyres. No cars, few other people, great scenery - it’s how I will do my cycling in future...
pwa

Post by pwa »

Ivorcadaver wrote:Before the dreaded C, I was cycling 28 miles a day to and from work. To be frank I was generally too knackered to do any leisure cycling on top of that. With furlough and now working from home, the miles dropped to effectively zero over summer and to be honest I don’t find cycling locally on roads pleasant due to traffic. On a recent trips to both NYorks andGalloway in Scotland I greatly enjoyed riding forest trails on my road/gravel bike which I have equipped with lower gearing and some fat tyres. No cars, few other people, great scenery - it’s how I will do my cycling in future...

I grew up near Bolton and sadly I have to agree that most of the roads are busy around there. Walking is my preferred exercise when I visit the area these days. But there are opportunities for short rides that minimise exposure to traffic. This one takes in roads I know to be mostly okay, with some great scenery and some genuinely quiet sections.

https://cycle.travel/map/journey/187036
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Forgive me father, but increasingly we canoe as a family more often than we cycle
pwa

Post by pwa »

Bonefishblues wrote:Forgive me father, but increasingly we canoe as a family more often than we cycle

On the Thames?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bonefishblues wrote:Forgive me father, but increasingly we canoe as a family more often than we cycle

Thank you for confessing, ye faithful
How do the distances cycled and canoed compare? That is the question :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies