30 Crossings of River Tamar

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
rjb

Re: 30 Crossings of River Tamar

Postby rjb » 12 Dec 2020, 12:21pm

I'm sure youv'e made a mental note to check it out during next summer's dry season and you can sample the ale in the Latchley inn if it's still in existence. :wink:
But isn't that crossing on the Tavy ? Is the crossing at Lopwell dam still in existence further down stream?
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D

Chat Noir

Postby Chat Noir » 12 Dec 2020, 2:08pm

Hi Mick

The OS 6 inch map 1881 - 82 does show a footbridge where the Bartholomew map shows it. Haven't looked at any more recent maps than this so don't know when it disappeared, although may be linked to the weir.

I think this link will take you to it: https://maps.nls.uk/view/101438264 , maps hosted at National Library of Scotland and I think it was you who told us all about this wonderful repository.

Your account of the river crossings has made for some very enjoyable reading over the months, can't wait for your next project!

All best.
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 12 Dec 2020, 8:03pm

Hi guys!
There is no Inn at Latchley any more. Nearest pub is the White Hart at Chilsworthy. First went in there in 1985. :D

As for the "foot bridge" ................. I've done some searching on maps, and I reckon the bridge was there during the mining days.
The national library of Scotland maps are a great resource, and if you go through them all at Latchley, you will find a couple of them shows the foot bridge over a stream and not the river.
Screen Shot 2020-12-12 at 19.50.04.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-12 at 19.48.51.png

This is a GPS trace of mine earlier this year on Moulton, exploring the Blanchdown Woods and Wheal Maria etc.
You can see me back-tracking to investigate the lay of the land.
Now there could possibly be a crossing ............ which I very much doubt .................. I'll have to go back with my Garmin Montana and suss it out. I could cycle it, or walk it with Sailor-the-doggie. :D
Screen Shot 2020-12-12 at 19.56.42.png

I came in from the north. Perhaps I should retrace the route and turn right down to the river to look.
I won't let this subject rest. It'll obsess me for quite a while yet! :D
Mick F. Cornwall

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 13 Dec 2020, 10:56am

Just come in from a very damp walk in the woods!
Drove over into "England Tier 2", parked up, and walked the doggie with Montana programmed with a GPX track to follow.

Here are two sat images from my computer having loaded up the saved track. Two miles walked in mud and puddles and very drippy pine trees.

First one is the overall track from the car back to the car.
Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 10.45.01.png

This one is a zoom of the crossing question area.
Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 10.45.43.png

You can see me attempting to get down to the river, and then another try. The second try (lower of the two) was to a locked gate but I could see the track going across a field but following the Devon bank.

The first try (upper of the two) resulted in finding a raging torrent of water.
What looks like a path on the sat image down to the river, is in actual fact, a stream.
There is no crossing over the river anywhere there. I can state that quite categorically, and I very much doubt there was ever a crossing.
The foot bridge mentioned on the old maps is the track-way over the raging torrent.

Case closed on this one I'm afraid.

PS:
The spoil area you see on the zoomed in picture is Wheal Maria.
On the overall picture, you can just make out a patch of water. That is Wheal Fanny.

This is a better shot.
Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 11.02.42.png
Mick F. Cornwall

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 16 Dec 2020, 6:51pm

rjb wrote:I've a friend who is walking the coast and has been trying to find without success if it's possible to walk across the Tamar Bridge at present. I'm waiting for Mick to post an update unless anyone knows for sure.
BBC Cornwall news website 09:23 this morning.

Tamar Bridge reopens for pedestrians and cyclists
The south cantilever on the Tamar Bridge has reopened for pedestrians and cyclists.
In a statement Tamar Crossings said all current bridge traffic management arrangements would be removed after works on the north cantilever were completed on Tuesday.
The free minibus shuttle service and bus service has also ended.
The statement said: "The £3.8m scheme has been essential to prevent the steel bridge deck from corroding and to ensure the continued safety of those crossing the bridge."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-engl ... type=share
Mick F. Cornwall

rjb

Postby rjb » 16 Dec 2020, 8:14pm

Thanks Mick,
Duly noted and passed on. :D

The other missing piece of his jigsaw is the link north of weston-super-mare. the tutshill sluice crossing which is due to be started this spring after being talked about for over 30 years.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=109234&hilit=kingston+seymour

Not as grand as Brunels Royal Albert Bridge, but every link helps.

Work due to start in the spring and fully funded. :D
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 17 Dec 2020, 9:22am

rjb wrote:Thanks Mick,
Duly noted and passed on. :D

Excellent! Pleased to be of help!

My next foray for my quest will hopefully happen on Sunday this weekend.
The weather is supposed to be ok that day.

Ride to Plymouth via the Tamar Suspension Bridge and take the train from Plymouth station to St Germans via the Royal Albert Bridge.
From there, ride back to Plymouth via the Torpoint Ferry, and thence back to Plymouth station for the train to Gunnislake, then ride home.
30odd miles total riding.

..................... or ride directly from St Germans and over the ferry and ride home ........ 50miles perhaps.
I'm not sure if the weather will hold that long or that I want a 50mile ride as my cycle-fitness has taken a hit of late as my mileages are well down this year. :oops:
Mick F. Cornwall

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 17 Dec 2020, 10:53am

Sunday is probably off.
The weather forecast has changed! :cry:

Sunshine and heavy showers, so I suppose I should just get wet.
Mick F. Cornwall

CliveyT

Postby CliveyT » 17 Dec 2020, 11:13am

[quote="Mick F"]

Ride to Plymouth via the Tamar Suspension Bridge and take the train from Plymouth station to St Germans via the Royal Albert Bridge.
From there, ride back to Plymouth via the Torpoint Ferry, and thence back to Plymouth station for the train to Gunnislake, then ride home.
30odd miles total riding.

/quote]
You don't want to do that-surely Devonport or Dockyard would be nearer. With the time saved you could get a pint in before catching the ferry. I'd suggest the Wellcove though- too much bleddy navy in Torpoint :lol:

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 17 Dec 2020, 2:41pm

Devonport would indeed be nearer! :D
I have time available, but as Plymouth is in Tier Two, I'd need a meal if I were to go to a pub .......... Union Rooms, Wetherspoons would be my natural choice.

When my ships came in, Sirius and Argyll, I often got the train home to Gunny and had a free ride. Get on at Devonport or Dockyard or even Keyham and the ticket chap never came anywhere along the carriages. This is going back to the 80s and 90s ........... and it even happens nowadays .......... and even pre-Covid.

Get on at Plymouth, you need a ticket to get through the barriers.
Any intermediate stop (except St Budeux and Bere Alston perhaps) and it's odds-on no-one will ask you to pay.
Mick F. Cornwall

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 18 Dec 2020, 3:04pm

Slight change of plan for Sunday.
The weather forecast (for what it's worth) is ok for the morning.

Forget the Torpoint Ferry for now. It can wait for after Christmas.

Cycle to St Budeux Ferry Road station not far from over the Tamar Suspension Bridge and catch the 09:03 for St Germans and arrive 09:14 having crossed the Royal Albert Bridge.
Cycle home via Tideford and over the hills to Callington, then home.
Should make it back around 11:30.

I'll be leaving home in the dark at about 07:30 .............. and I'll have lights on to see the way as much of the ride will be without street lighting. That'll be fun! :D
Mick F. Cornwall

philvantwo

Postby philvantwo » 20 Dec 2020, 8:11pm

No news from Mick F yet :(

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 21 Dec 2020, 9:14am

Still here!

The ride never happened.
I was planning on riding away at 07:30 so I'd be up and about soon after 5.
I was woken by heavy rain at 04:30 ............ so I turned over and forgot about riding.

The roads round here have been awash. Took the dog for a walk the day before and I had to take my shoes and socks off and roll my trousers up to get through 50yds of 9" water. There are many other floods too and some haven't gone down much in the last few days. In fact I drove through one only yesterday. The idea of riding a bike on the lanes is a no-no as far as I'm concerned.

I could have done the ride and stayed on the main road there and back, but I want to make my rides enjoyable and not boring. Going on the main road there and basically turning round and coming back the same way is boring, so I was going to come back along the back lanes.

Main issue, is crossing the River Lyhner and it's been flooding the valleys and swamping out houses, so I cancelled my trip.
https://riverlevels.uk/flood-warning-ri ... -Bmii10dE4

The Buccaneer Inn in the village flooded out too. Gilly the landlady hasn't opened since the first lockdown so not been taking any money of course. There's a Just Giving page opened up and as far as I know, we've raised over a grand to help clean up and repair the pub.

Raining again now.
Is there any end to it?
Mick F. Cornwall

Philip Benstead

Postby Philip Benstead » 21 Dec 2020, 12:22pm

Further to MC qucest has anybody traveled with a cycle over all the public crossings of the River Thames ?
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclist in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 22 Dec 2020, 8:55am

Philip Benstead wrote:Further to MC qucest has anybody traveled with a cycle over all the public crossings of the River Thames ?
River Thames is one of the longest rivers, and also though densely populated areas, so there must be hundreds of bridges!

Thames rises in Gloucestershire, total length is over 200miles I think.
Mick F. Cornwall