Closure of shared path between Marazion and Penzance

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
whoof

Re: Closure of shared path between Marazion and Penzance

Postby whoof » 13 Nov 2020, 9:14pm

peetee wrote:182 days. Whew! Even allowing for weather disruption that’s one heck of a schedule. What are they resurfacing with, Romanesque mosaic?

A couple of years ago there was a bridge over a road in Bristol that needed to be replaced. They started work on Friday at midnight and finished in the early hours of Sunday. Some complained that this work disrupted motor traffic on Saturday. About the same time a foot bridge was being installed over a foot and cycle path in Bath. This took over 6 months and the foot/cycle path was closed for all of this time and the traffic diverted to a main road.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 14 Nov 2020, 7:51am

I think 182 days is council-speak for six months. Probably up to six months. Closure orders have to be published which isn't cheap. Twenty odd years ago, somebody from Leeds City Council told me a TRO cost £400. Therefore, one order which may be more than needed is cheaper than a series.

landsurfer

Postby landsurfer » 14 Nov 2020, 8:13am

Take as long as they like as long as they get rid of the anti skateboard surface between the toilets and the level crossing ...
Be More Mike.
The Road Goes On Forever

sirmy

Postby sirmy » 15 Nov 2020, 1:50pm

thirdcrank wrote:I think 182 days is council-speak for six months. Probably up to six months. Closure orders have to be published which isn't cheap. Twenty odd years ago, somebody from Leeds City Council told me a TRO cost £400. Therefore, one order which may be more than needed is cheaper than a series.

It's around £1800 today

sirmy

Postby sirmy » 15 Nov 2020, 1:53pm

peetee wrote:A couple of months ago I rode over the bridge from the north. I don’t remember seeing the ‘no cycling’ sign (I know it’s there now) :oops:
In my defence (a poor one, I admit) I had no idea where I was going and was following a ride leader. I do remember It was rather narrow and I had to bump the bike off the pavement at the south end. I have to say that, given its width, it being footpath only makes perfect sense but it was rather short-sighted of the planners not to install something wider. It’s a very useful link that provides a much safer join-up between the lovely routes of inland Penwith and the south coast towards Marazion and Lizard.
On a related subject, the bridge at the A30 Camborne west interchange is a curious one. The wide pavement section is a designated cycle lane that is barely longer than the bridge itself but the signage instructs cyclists to dismount! I can only assume this is because of the low parapet fencing. Nevertheless, it was hardly worth designating it as cycle lane given that the more hazardous slip-road beyond has no priority provision for cycles to cross.D27C1A35-98D4-4CF3-8ED6-13CFD5095CEE.jpeg

The cyclists dismount sign will be there because the bridge parapet is low. For cyclists and horse riders a parapet of about 1.4 metres (4feet) is needed

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 15 Nov 2020, 2:10pm

The closure here is presumably covered by a Temporary TRO under s14 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1984/27/section/14

Acres of verbiage there, but the restriction on s14 closures, including duration, are under s15. I thought this was 6 mos for footpaths etc and 18 mos for roads but the current version says

if it is in respect of a footpath, bridleway [F2restricted byway,], cycle track or byway open to all traffic, for more than [F3six months] [F3eighteen months];

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1984/27/section/15

Footnote F3 doesn't seem to clarify that ambiguity.

RodT

Postby RodT » 17 Nov 2020, 3:48pm

Update: the section between the footbridge to Sainsbury’s and the station, ie the last bit, is now closed. The footbridge is still accessible.

RodT

Postby RodT » 16 Dec 2020, 1:30pm

Update on this, for anyone thinking of using the path: it will be re-opened temporarily,from 19/12 to 03/01. Parts of it have been re-surfaced with rolled aggregate. I don’t know if that is the finished job or preparation for something more permanent. Anyway, it’s much smoother while it lasts.

peetee

Postby peetee » 9 Jan 2021, 1:52pm

Latest update:
As of today the path is navigable from the Longrock level crossing to Penzance. There is a short section from the footbridge in line with the back wall of Sainsbury’s that has been fenced off but those firm of foot can get round on the adjacent rocks forming the sea defences. No part of the path proper is dangerous or unrideable, even with road tyres. No works were underway today (Saturday) but I can’t say if they have stopped weekday working because of Lockdown or not.
AAD7B12C-8D4B-476B-84BD-266C64C68E32.jpeg
2DFB9FFB-2923-4653-9718-FF776263764D.jpeg
Winter had arrived in the land of Kernow. Along with it came wet roads and cool winds.
“Oh, my wheels and coupling rods!” Peetee exclaimed.