Cyclist in Ukraine. Youtube videos

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Pokatos

Re: Cyclist adventures in Ukraine

Post by Pokatos »

Pebble wrote:
Pokatos wrote:
Pebble wrote:how do you get such good quality on youtube ? the quality of mine are as good on the computer but when I load them to you tube they're poor.

I'm not a pro in this area, but first of all, you need to render your video as 2K (or 4K) even if it is 1080 only. Youtube has two codecs (one is good, another - is bad) , and if you want better codec to be used, you need to render video in 2K+ quality. You can find info in google by search query eg
"vp9 codec youtube"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v7FH_p ... TechGuides

Thanks for that, I have tried saving the video at 60fps but when I upload it still reverts back to the poor quality AVC
the following would be OK if I could keep the original quality but as you can see its poor.
4x Speed across the moor

[youtube]ZzXcfGCDsok[/youtube]

would love to be able to get your quality of video - what sort of camera are you using or what do you edit your movies on ?

Ok, let me try to remember rendering settings, because I tried few times with different ones. I don't remember it very well for the first video, but for the second it was this.

You can choose "Maincocept AVC" encoder instead of "NV Encoder". I choose NV Encoder because I have gpu and video renders faster using it. With CPU it takes 5x time longer. Also, I would like to choose average 135Mbit bitrate, but I made it 80Mbit because I had some artefcats in second video in the final result, so I reduced quality a bit. But usually, bitrate works fine for me. Unfortunately, I don't remember settings for the first video, but it was similar.

BUT comparing to your video, my video doesn't look much better. If you'll check my video with 1080 resolution, it looks almost the same as yours, and only with 1440 or 4k it looks good. So, I'm still in the process to find the best video render settings.

My camera is gopro 8 hero black. For the first video resolution is 2704x2028 and ~100Mbit bitrate. For the second - 2704x1520 ~100Mbit bitrate.
Pokatos

Post by Pokatos »

Random crazy stuff that happens while cycling in Kharkiv. I collected all strangers in this video.
Addicts, robbers, stupid pedestrians etc

[youtube]woxk2XRpw9g[/youtube]
Pokatos

Post by Pokatos »

My first serious attempt to take a KOM in Strava. I woke up early in the morning to get on empty roads without cars. So, cars didn't interfere me, but crazy dogs interfered me lol.
By the way, the guy at the very end of the video, just walked and brandished a 30cm knife. I noticed it only later.

[youtube]NwPEvelKgIE[/youtube]
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Ax, CTPABA.
Pokatos

Post by Pokatos »

New short video
[youtube]d3_UqhnuHRI[/youtube]
Please, check in 2k+ quality, youtube eats a lot of original quality :(

inspired by dorosh.raw
https://www.instagram.com/p/CMM_TgaHaZj ... _copy_link
Pokatos

Post by Pokatos »

Last year I lost 2 seconds on this segment because I missed the turn and thats' why I lost a lot of time. The road here is terrible, so I didn't have big desire to return here, but this year I decided to repeat the race. You can see for yourself what happened.

Pokatos

Re: Cyclist in Ukraine

Post by Pokatos »

Pokatos

Re: Cyclist in Ukraine. Youtube videos

Post by Pokatos »

A small video report from my bike ride from Kharkiv through Poltava to Dykanka. It was my first trip to such a long distance (188km in total). The route passed mostly thru the highway, which was partially under repair. Due to this, in some places it was possible to go on a separate lane, which, although was not 100% ready, but it was allowed for me to move comfortably on it and skip any thoughts and afraids about the traffic.

From Kharkiv to Valky (55 km) the relief is continuous slides up and down. After Valky to Poltava itself - a solid flat. And right before Poltava there is a good uphill of 5.7% a for more than a kilometer in long, which, after almost 100 km without significant heights, returns you to reality and reminds that the Earth is not flat :)

To be honest, I haven't seen any significant beauties along the way. On the distance from Kharkiv to Valky there were some beautifully painted stops (Zolochivske, Cheremushna, Stary Merchyk, etc.). Closer to Poltava, I saw beautiful pine forests, and on the section Poltava - Dykanka (~30km) there were also enough forests, which were really great to see. However, the quality of the road and traffic to Dykanka is not very conducive to cycling there.

In general, it was an interesting experience for me to travel for such a long distance. The route turned out almost 200 km, so it was almost brevet :) After arrival I was tired and I decided that I would go back by train, but a few days later I changed my mind and went home on a bicycle again, but that's a different story :)

If you liked the video, please support it with like and subscribe. Thanks :)

Pokatos

Post by Pokatos »

Brevet 200km Century Anniversary.

It is considered that the first official brevet took place on September 11, 1921.
A lot of time has passed since then, bicycles have undergone significant changes, new technologies and special clothing have appeared, but the essence of the randoner movement has remained unchanged. As 100 years ago, desperate people around the world continue to travel ultra-long distances.

Usually not many people are willing to take part in such races, but at this time about 60 people took part in this brevet, which became a record for Kharkiv and probably one of the most popular brevet races across Ukraine. Many of participants took part in such event for the first time ever.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5944093496

mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

I would not fancy riding in Chernobyl -Odessa relay for next 3 months.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Pokatos lives in Kharkiv.
(last activity here in December - I suspect it's too cold for riding over there since then?)

That city is right in the thick of hostilities currently. Let's be grateful for these interesting videos, and hope he and his kin are safe and sound somewhere.
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

Valbrona wrote: 24 Feb 2022, 9:28pmYes, stay at home while Russian peacekeeping operations are taking place. There are a lot of Ukrainian Nazi's about with dangerous weaponry supplied by the U.S. and UK regimes.
Happily, irony is alive and well ...
hemo

Post by hemo »

Yep hope Pokatos is safe and well, I was thinking about him when the Ruskies decided to invade.
As to residents taking up arms to defend their country, it is for them to decide but would certainly put them in even more peril.
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

I too would like to say my thoughts are with Pokatos. I have some Ukrainian heritage and have watched his videos with interest. I truly hope to visit at ride my bike in a free and safe Ukraine one day.
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

I hope this pseudo war is over quickly and putin retreats to lick his wounds