Covid cycling survey

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
tatanab

Re: Covid cycling survey

Postby tatanab » 8 Nov 2020, 9:18am

Don't bother Q1 is why do you ride. Q2 is where do you ride. The relevant one is Q3 about warning of social distancing when riding.

How would you, as a cyclist, like to be alerted (the output) that someone is within 2 meters?

Flashing LEDs
LCD screen
buzzers
buzzers and LEDs

Notice that all of the options require yet more electrically powered devices. Seriously, it sounds like a call for leper bells.

Edit - note the A level spelling error - meters (measuring devices) instead of metres (distance). Ok, I accept that is probably a typing error.

mattsccm

Postby mattsccm » 8 Nov 2020, 9:41am

OP hasn't come back. Ignore him.
As tot he electrical warning thing, the Op is an engineering student so wants a fancy theoretical project not common sense. A shout would be the best warning or better still some decent manners.

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 8 Nov 2020, 9:52am

I find a mirror from cheapstore very useful
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

Cowsham

Postby Cowsham » 8 Nov 2020, 2:36pm

mattsccm wrote:OP hasn't come back. Ignore him.
As tot he electrical warning thing, the Op is an engineering student so wants a fancy theoretical project not common sense. A shout would be the best warning or better still some decent manners.

Don't be too harsh on the chap -- if he wants a wee bike safety project what about a warning signal to let you know your rear lamp is out or fell off the bike -- I've seen those two scenarios, the light out one was a close call.

Bluetooth chip built into rear and front lamp so the front lamp alarms if the rear one goes beyond a distance ( ie falls off ) or the led is out or voltage getting low etc. Good wee project with a bit of programing to sort.

Don't tell me it's already invented :x

As for a survey you can start by justifying the need to cycle to work in the dark where when how etc etc what type of lights -- side view angle etc

tatanab

Postby tatanab » 8 Nov 2020, 2:46pm

Cowsham wrote: Don't tell me it's already invented
Over 40 years ago. In the late 70s there was a fibre optic link available to monitor a rear light. Unlike Bluetooth electronics etc it used no power.

TrevA

Postby TrevA » 8 Nov 2020, 6:15pm

Cowsham wrote:
mattsccm wrote:OP hasn't come back. Ignore him.

Don't be too harsh on the chap -- if he wants a wee bike safety project what about a warning signal to let you know your rear lamp is out or fell off the bike -- I've seen those two scenarios, the light out one was a close call.

Bluetooth chip built into rear and front lamp so the front lamp alarms if the rear one goes beyond a distance ( ie falls off ) or the led is out or voltage getting low etc. Good wee project with a bit of programing to sort.

Don't tell me it's already invented :x

As for a survey you can start by justifying the need to cycle to work in the dark where when how etc etc what type of lights -- side view angle etc

My Garmin Varia already does this, if the battery goes flat or it becomes detached from your bike, you get a warning on the GPS head unit to say “Radar Disconnected”. When I ride with my wife, she has the Varia but we link both our Garmin to it and both get the traffic warnings. It also usefully tells me if she’s been dropped as I get the radar disconnected warning if she’s more than 50 metres behind me. :D.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 8 Nov 2020, 6:32pm

The OP's profile.
Three posts. June, July and November.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=51964
Screen Shot 2020-11-08 at 18.29.42.png
Mick F. Cornwall

Cowsham