Cyclist collides with cactus.... he is spiked not spoked

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mercalia

Cyclist collides with cactus.... he is spiked not spoked

Postby mercalia » 12 Nov 2020, 9:33am

thelawnet

Re: Cyclist collides with cactus.... he is spiked not spoked

Postby thelawnet » 12 Nov 2020, 10:10am

Seems to be quite common

<Insert joke about BMW driver crashing into cactus here>

peetee

Postby peetee » 12 Nov 2020, 11:22am

On one ride I veered off-course and had to squeeze between a couple of gorse bushes which wasn’t pleasant but the worst encounter was a hawthorn. The spikes are one thing but I believe they are coated with something that makes the pain worse. It was only one stab on my finger but it throbbed like crazy for hours. Very similar to a wasp sting, in fact.
Winter had arrived in the land of Kernow. Along with it came wet roads and cool winds.
“Oh, my wheels and coupling rods!” Peetee exclaimed.

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 12 Nov 2020, 11:37am

Never heard of that with hawthorns. Just the once? I'd guess that it's idiosyncratic/ allergic rather than a toxin.

These events are always a good time to think about tetanus:
https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/accidents-first-aid-and-treatments/do-i-need-a-tetanus-jab-vaccine-after-an-accident-or-injury/

Jonathan

irc

Postby irc » 12 Nov 2020, 2:40pm

I once brushed against a Cholla catcus while camping in the Arizona desert. I needed to cut myself free with my Swiss Army knife. Anything else I tried just got me more stuck. Lucky it was in my waist bag and not a pannier.

THe big one to the right of my bivvy.

desertcamp.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD6m8vmH2Lg

kylecycler

Postby kylecycler » 12 Nov 2020, 3:18pm

Jdsk wrote:Never heard of that with hawthorns. Just the once? I'd guess that it's idiosyncratic/ allergic rather than a toxin.

These events are always a good time to think about tetanus:
https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/accidents-first-aid-and-treatments/do-i-need-a-tetanus-jab-vaccine-after-an-accident-or-injury/

Jonathan

Me neither, at least concerning actually crashing into a hawthorn bush (there are plenty, even on the verges, where I live so it's a real possibility), but some might remember a poster called Heltor Chasca (his dog's name, IIRC!) who is a landscape gardener and I'm sure he warned about not using your fingers to feel for a thorn in a tyre. Maybe there was just a risk of infection, but it might have been to do with what peetee experienced.

I think he might also have mentioned that you should indeed consider a tetanus jab if it happens.

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 12 Nov 2020, 3:22pm

Yes, they can definitely cause local infection and tetanus.

Jonathan

PS: Anyone ever been speared by a porcupine quill?

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 12 Nov 2020, 10:28pm

irc wrote:I once brushed against a Cholla catcus while camping in the Arizona desert. I needed to cut myself free with my Swiss Army knife. Anything else I tried just got me more stuck. Lucky it was in my waist bag and not a pannier.

THe big one to the right of my bivvy.

desertcamp.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD6m8vmH2Lg

how on earth do you brush against some thing like that? :shock:

peetee

Postby peetee » 12 Nov 2020, 11:15pm

Jdsk wrote:Yes, they can definitely cause local infection and tetanus.

Jonathan

PS: Anyone ever been speared by a porcupine quill?

Very nearly. My family went to Longleat and that’s one of the memento’s my daughter came back with. I found it in the car seat pocket whilst cleaning up and was quite lucky not to catch the sharp end.
Winter had arrived in the land of Kernow. Along with it came wet roads and cool winds.

DaveGos

Postby DaveGos » 21 Nov 2020, 7:52pm

I did it once in Gran Canarie , it just stopped me going down a ravine, think it was a prickly pair , not bad at all as fewer spikes, just had to remove myself carefully

climo

Postby climo » 29 Nov 2020, 10:55am

peetee wrote:On one ride I veered off-course and had to squeeze between a couple of gorse bushes which wasn’t pleasant but the worst encounter was a hawthorn. The spikes are one thing but I believe they are coated with something that makes the pain worse. It was only one stab on my finger but it throbbed like crazy for hours. Very similar to a wasp sting, in fact.

Sure it wasn't a blackthorn? They can be poisonous.

peetee

Postby peetee » 29 Nov 2020, 3:42pm

climo wrote:
peetee wrote:On one ride I veered off-course and had to squeeze between a couple of gorse bushes which wasn’t pleasant but the worst encounter was a hawthorn. The spikes are one thing but I believe they are coated with something that makes the pain worse. It was only one stab on my finger but it throbbed like crazy for hours. Very similar to a wasp sting, in fact.

Could be. I’m not an expert.

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 29 Nov 2020, 4:43pm

peetee wrote:
climo wrote:

Could be. I’m not an expert.

I don't think that there's a toxin in blackthorn thorns, although there is in the fruits and leaves. The thorns are notorious for getting under the skin and causing local inflammation with or without infection eg:
https://emj.bmj.com/content/21/3/392

Jonathan

EDITED: This is wrong, see below.
Last edited by Jdsk on 30 Nov 2020, 12:54pm, edited 1 time in total.

uwidavid

Postby uwidavid » 30 Nov 2020, 12:46pm

Are you sure that blackthorn fruit is toxic? I have searched and they are used to flavour drinks and can be made into jams and jellies.

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 30 Nov 2020, 12:52pm

Thanks... I meant flowers and leaves. (And pits.)

http://www.naturessecretlarder.co.uk/wild-food-useful-plants/blackthorn-sloe-prunus-spinosa.htm
http://www.horsedvm.com/poisonous/blackthorn/

Sorry

Jonathan (looking forward to sloe gin at Christmas!)