Have you ever taken part in a cycle race?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.

Road Race
13%
Time-trial
27%
Mountain bike
6%
Track
6%
Other
3%
Never raced
45%

Total votes: 67

whoof

Post by whoof »

As it is sometimes said that cycling shouldn't be consider as just a sport I was wondering how many people on here had take part in a cycle race.
For the purpose of this poll a cycle race is; an organised (by some governing body) event where there is a declared winner. If you want to include 'me and my mates used to race each other' please start your own poll.
As the poll won't allow more than one option can you select the option you did most.
mjr

Re: Have you ever taken part in a cycle race?

Post by mjr »

Why the heck would I know if it had a "governing body"? I was too young to understand the bureaucracy, or care... and I'm still not sure I'd care!

I fear you're going to misinterpret that a majority of transport and touring cyclists once entered some race (possibly even egged on by others at a certain touring club that included sport as one of its aims) as evidence that cycling is necessarily a sport.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Boring_Username

Post by Boring_Username »

I've done a few audaxes. Some people there seemed to think it was a cycle race.
whoof

Post by whoof »

mjr wrote:Why the heck would I know if it had a "governing body"? I was too young to understand the bureaucracy, or care... and I'm still not sure I'd care!

I fear you're going to misinterpret that a majority of transport and touring cyclists once entered some race (possibly even egged on by others at a certain touring club that included sport as one of its aims) as evidence that cycling is necessarily a sport.

I'll take that as a no.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Boring_Username wrote:I've done a few audaxes. Some people there seemed to think it was a cycle race.

Was there a winner?
whoof

Post by whoof »

Before anyone gets too steamed up it's a poll. It will not be used to make a point or anything else.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Tried a couple of TTs last year, a 10 and a 25.

I will say nothing on my performance except that I wasn't last in either. Bloody hell though, the 25 was painful!

Nice to have a go, but it won't become a regular occurrence.

I fancy doing a hill climb sometime, but am getting rapidly too decrepit and there's the small matter of needing to lose 3 stone or so...

Cycling is a sport, a pastime and a mode of transport. I'm not sure why that would be controversial to anyone.

[Edit: accidentally voted for road race, can't see how to change. I did do a couple of sportives in France which had actual winners and such, so I guess it's still honest, though I definitely wasn't racing in those, merely surviving to the end]
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

No nominative determinism then?

; - )

Jonathan
whoof

Post by whoof »

roubaixtuesday wrote:Tried a couple of TTs last year, a 10 and a 25.

I will say nothing on my performance except that I wasn't last in either. Bloody hell though, the 25 was painful!

Nice to have a go, but it won't become a regular occurrence.

I fancy doing a hill climb sometime, but am getting rapidly too decrepit and there's the small matter of needing to lose 3 stone or so...

Cycling is a sport, a pastime and a mode of transport. I'm not sure why that would be controversial to anyone.

[Edit: accidentally voted for road race, can't see how to change. I did do a couple of sportives in France which had actual winners and such, so I guess it's still honest, though I definitely wasn't racing in those, merely surviving to the end]

I thought I selected option to change selection.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Just click on the preferred option, submit vote, the scores change

One may set the poll to allow more than one choice, I think that zeros the votes so we have to vote again :wink:
I won. A bronze medal for third in division schoolboy championship (6 contestants)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

Does "Silly Commuter Racing" count?
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I’ve done Road racing, Tine trialling, Track Racing and Mountain Bike - which category do I pick? - sorry, re-read the OP, I’ve done TTs the most so picked that.
Last edited by TrevA on 13 Nov 2020, 4:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

edited
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

All cycle racing has a governing body - for most its British Cycling but for TT’s it’s the Road Time Trials Council (RTTC), now known as Cycling Time Trials (CTT).
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
whoof

Post by whoof »

TrevA wrote:All cycle racing has a governing body - for most its British Cycling but for TT’s it’s the Road Time Trials Council (RTTC), now known as Cycling Time Trials (CTT).

In case someone said someone used to race with their mates and it was organised by them.