Toucan cyclist detectors?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Toucan cyclist detectors?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

mikeymo wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:...they have to learn lots of complicated laws, not sure I could do that...

I'm sure you could. After all, you're an intellectual

Actually I was 'Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon', but I changed my signature for fear of being mistaken for BoJo :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The menagerie also housed panda crossings, but only briefly. I remember seeing them in Lincoln on a YHA tour 1962

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panda_cro ... station%20.

I've heard of the tiger crossing, but I've never seen one in the flesh

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news ... -scrapped/

Here in Leeds we briefly had experimental X-way crossings where the green light on the traffic signals was replaced with a white X. (Us dour Leeds Loiners don't need daft animal names.) More recently, X crossing seems to have become the description for pedestrian crossings laid out to let pedestrians cross a junction diagonally.

https://www.roads.org.uk/articles/pedes ... n-man-last
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Pete Owens wrote:So long as there are no pedestrians using the zebra crossing at the time - in which case vehicles (and that includes bicycles) are not allowed to use that particular part of the road. And since the zebra doesn't accord priority to cyclists in the same way it does to pedestrians then drivers do not have to stop for you until you get off and become a pedestrian.

The same applies to puffin/pelican crossings - the only time you can legally ride on the crossing is when the red man is displayed.

No, for a zebra the pedestrian simply has precedence, they do not block the whole crossing area, you simply have to yield to them. Vehicles on the road have to do so behind the marked give way line. It's typically advised for drivers to not to proceed until the pedestrian has physically left the entire crossing but that's not actually required.

Similarly for a puffin/pelican, the red light does not prohibit vehicles from the area of the crossing, it prohibits progression beyond the stop line. A cyclist crossing isn't doing this.

thirdcrank wrote:I've heard of the tiger crossing, but I've never seen one in the flesh

Probably as they're a relatively new beast, only formally defined 3/4 years ago, they're designed to clear up the present mess of cyclists on zebras and local authorities all doing their own thing with such crossings due to the lack of a national standard. Cyclists on a tiger get the same 'accord precedence' protection that pedestrians have on a zebra.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Things have changed somewhat since the menagerie regulations were consolidated into the TSRGD
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

thirdcrank wrote:I'll pass, on the site visit.

I think you made the right choice. I've just been out and investigated. That's 20 minutes of my life I won't get back. There's watching the paint dry, watching the grass grow, and staring at the traffic lights on Leeds ring road waiting for them to change.

This is what there is now:

You can see there are "detector" type things (that's what I think they might be), pointing down at where somebody would be waiting by the bigger button. On the south side (Westbound) I waited there. Nothing happened. On the central bit I waited in the corresponding position and the lights did change, that's waiting to cross the north side. Presumably they think that if somebody's got as far as the central bit they want to cross. Except the automatic detection thing (if that's what it was) didn't happen when I came back an hour later and was waiting in the central section waiting to cross the south side. This only happens waiting to cross the north side. This is a bit silly for a cyclist, as that stretch of the ring road, especially from that position, has a fantastic sight line.

Anyyywaaayyy, I crossed over, got well out of the way and watched. The lights don't "default" to red, as suggested. They default to green. But sometimes, on the east bound carriageway, do go red for no apparent reason. There is a detector (in the blacktop), 2 actually, on Lingfield Drive, one of them quite well back, and it seems to respond quickly to cars coming out of Lingfield Drive, so good for cars/traffic flow. But rather obtusely it also makes the left turn onto Lingfield Drive red, which isn't necessary (as per last pic). But I'm fairly sure there were times when there was no car, no pedestrians, no cyclists, no nuffink, but the lights went red, on the north side (eastbound). I wondered if there's some setting where with a new set of lights on a fast road, they just turn them red every so often so that drivers get used to seeing them.

Who knows, I'll ask highways.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I suspect that to get them to give you a green you have to press a button. The detector then checks that you are still there when it's going to give you a green. If there's no traffic on the carriageway, it may do that immediately when you press the button.

The good news is that AFAIK, those signals are not mandatory for cyclists (although ignoring them wouldn't help a civil claim.)

==================================================
Re the site visit: when I campaigned about this sort of thing, I went to a lot of trouble making absolutely sure of my facts before raising an issue. I eventually came to the conclusion that these people were not worth it.
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

thirdcrank wrote:I suspect that to get them to give you a green you have to press a button.

But that's not what seems to be happening when crossing from the central refuge over the north (eastbound) carriageway. I just lurked under the thing pointing down, and the lights changed. I didn't press nuffink guv. And I had deliberately waited until nobody else was around.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

May I have a question on sport? ie I don't know how they work.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

What is probably happening is that the parts that cross the junction at a triangle double as a sequence for regulating the traffic using the carriageway. While these will have loop detectors to detect approaching vehicles there will also be a backup periodical sequence for cases where the loop detectors fail - or a light vehicle fails to trigger them. Your phantom change could have been one of these.