High Performance Cars

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
thirdcrank
Posts: 30529
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Re: High Performance Cars

Postby thirdcrank » 23 Nov 2020, 10:46am

kwackers wrote: ... P.S you know stars and planets are just stickers on the inside of the dome don't you? ;)


FWIW, lights in the Firmament.

Genesis I:14

https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Genesis-1-14/

PDQ Mobile
Posts: 3973
Joined: 2 Aug 2015, 4:40pm

Re: High Performance Cars

Postby PDQ Mobile » 23 Nov 2020, 10:54am

kwackers wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:Please tell us how you foresee these issues resolved.

The only issues are based around you assuming it all works exactly the way you currently drive.

ACC means I don't drive the way I used to.
I turn it on and let it simply follow the car in front, I usually set the speed to 65mph so if the car in front speeds up he'll pull away, if he slows down so do I.
I only change lane if the speed drops significantly below and tbh I rarely bother looking at the speedo anyway.

If I had a "train system" then when I turned the ACC on it would 'talk' to the car ahead and if it also had the system then the gap would simply close up otherwise it'd behave like normal.

That's it in a nutshell.
Nothing hard, nothing complicated, nothing to understand.


P.S you know stars and planets are just stickers on the inside of the dome don't you? ;)


Well I don't really think that addresses some of the issues I raised.
It is just a linear trundle along.
Nothing disrupting the flow. But not like reality.

As for the stars, perhaps if you see it like that then it would explain a lot!
Complex and diverse reality is much much harder to grasp.
The world is (roughly and at least) 5,400 million years old, not created in seven days.

kwackers
Posts: 15231
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: High Performance Cars

Postby kwackers » 23 Nov 2020, 11:05am

PDQ Mobile wrote:Well I don't really think that addresses some of the issues I raised.
It is just a linear trundle along.
Nothing disrupting the flow. But not like reality.

It doesn't address your issues because they're not relevant, you simply invented scenarios that don't apply or require no special behaviour.

I've explained how the system is likely to work in practice any issues you have should be related to that not to your imagined operation.
Lets apply some realism here, there is very little difference between "trains" and simply queuing up several cars with ACC turned on, the only real difference is the gap can be reduced if the cars are communicating.

PDQ Mobile wrote:As for the stars, perhaps if you see it like that then it would explain a lot!
Complex and diverse reality is much much harder to grasp.
The world is (roughly and at least) 5,400 million years old, not created in seven days.

To be fair to the flat earth brigade some of their "issues" with a globe earth require a fair degree of physics understanding to explain.

For example: How do you *know* the stars aren't simply "lights in the firmament"? How would you prove it?
A lot of the 'proofs' require acceptance of other 'proofs' so you'd need to prove them first...

Still there's lots of entertainment to be had from hearing folk who don't understand something trying to explain it particularly when they're view is at odds with reality.
A bit like folk who don't understand technology telling me what it can and can't do... ;)

PDQ Mobile
Posts: 3973
Joined: 2 Aug 2015, 4:40pm

Re: High Performance Cars

Postby PDQ Mobile » 23 Nov 2020, 11:17am

kwackers wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:Well I don't really think that addresses some of the issues I raised.
It is just a linear trundle along.
Nothing disrupting the flow. But not like reality.

It doesn't address your issues because they're not relevant, you simply invented scenarios that don't apply or require no special behaviour.


I have invented nothing at all.

Those road behaviours and issues are exactly as they are.
Described to the best of my ability.

Your solutions on the other hand have yet to become anything approaching what you foresee.

So I reckon my grasp of reality is superior, in spite of my obvious shortcomings. (I was born on Uranus, it coloured my world view :shock: )
(( and made me recognize crap easily! :shock: :shock: ))
(((Crap as in cheap Chinese electronics you understand, not philosopical standpoints)))
Last edited by PDQ Mobile on 23 Nov 2020, 11:33am, edited 1 time in total.

kwackers
Posts: 15231
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: High Performance Cars

Postby kwackers » 23 Nov 2020, 11:20am

PDQ Mobile wrote:I have invented nothing at all.

Those road behaviours and issues are exactly as they are.
Described to the best of my ability.

Your solutions on the other hand have yet to become anything approaching what you foresee.

So I reckon my grasp of reality is superior, in spite of my obvious shortcomings. (I was born on Uranus, it coloured my world view :shock: )

My solution is based on a simple enhancement of a current system which I use all the time.
I'm guessing your car doesn't have ACC and so obviously you've never used it.

Which means only one of us has experience of the reality.


The reality of the situation is you make a point of telling us over and over how averse you are to technology of any type and then claiming it doesn't and can't work.
That is the reality of the situation and why I make the comparisons to flat earth. Same lack of understanding, same conclusions.

thirdcrank
Posts: 30529
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Re: High Performance Cars

Postby thirdcrank » 23 Nov 2020, 12:16pm

Something which is here already is the concept of the Smart motorway to shorten journey times by homogenising (?) traffic speeds. It could work much better because there's a lack of smartness in the way they do it.

If Highways England get enforcement powers rather than depending on the local sheriff, there's much more of that to come - unless the introduction of autonomous vehicles beats them to it. The attraction of that I expect would be permitting homogenisation without speed reduction.

sjs
Posts: 931
Joined: 24 Jan 2010, 10:08pm
Location: Hitchin

Re: High Performance Cars

Postby sjs » 23 Nov 2020, 12:30pm

kwackers wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:This Tesla with its seven cameras, how does it manage to keep them all clean in foul road conditions?
If they are dirty function is surely compromised?

We can be pretty sure they've thought of that...
Turns out there are eight, four are mounted behind the windscreen so presumably get cleaned with that, 2 are mounted at the back and two rear facing ones on the sides.
There are also multiple radar units and 12 ultrasonic sensors.
If the cameras are blocked then the automation is turned off - even my cheap car does that.

360 degree vision, radar and all round close up object detection. How many eyes do people have again?


My Tesla Model 3 frequently complains that one or more (usually side-mounted) cameras are either non-operational or "blinded". And the rear camera needs very frequent cleaning, otherwise the view through it gets extremely murky. Doesn't matter as far as I'm concerned, because I (almost) never use its fancier modes while driving. And as noted, it does not rely exclusively on optical systems. And presumably it would tell me if I were using autopilot and too many of its sensors got crippled.

By the way, the drivers door release no longer works (from the inside). 50p switch failure, no doubt.

User avatar
[XAP]Bob
Posts: 17971
Joined: 26 Sep 2008, 4:12pm

Re: High Performance Cars

Postby [XAP]Bob » 23 Nov 2020, 12:33pm

PDQ Mobile wrote:The world is (roughly and at least) 5,400 million years old, not created in seven days.


Ah - yes the "the world can't have been created in seven days because it's old" straw man.

I assume you favour the other fantastical theory: "There was nothing, and it exploded".
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

PDQ Mobile
Posts: 3973
Joined: 2 Aug 2015, 4:40pm

Re: High Performance Cars

Postby PDQ Mobile » 23 Nov 2020, 12:50pm

[XAP]Bob wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:The world is (roughly and at least) 5,400 million years old, not created in seven days.


Ah - yes the "the world can't have been created in seven days because it's old" straw man.

I assume you favour the other fantastical theory: "There was nothing, and it exploded".


Sure, given among other things the fossil record.
I inhabit a part of the globe where the rocks are in part more than 500 million years old.
No terrestrial life only marine.
But they are far down the line in Earth time scale.

That there is great mystery though is clear.
I am open to anything.

User avatar
[XAP]Bob
Posts: 17971
Joined: 26 Sep 2008, 4:12pm

Re: High Performance Cars

Postby [XAP]Bob » 23 Nov 2020, 1:25pm

PDQ Mobile wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:The world is (roughly and at least) 5,400 million years old, not created in seven days.


Ah - yes the "the world can't have been created in seven days because it's old" straw man.

I assume you favour the other fantastical theory: "There was nothing, and it exploded".


Sure, given among other things the fossil record.
I inhabit a part of the globe where the rocks are in part more than 500 million years old.
No terrestrial life only marine.
But they are far down the line in Earth time scale.

That there is great mystery though is clear.
I am open to anything.



So why can't it have been created in seven days?
The fact that something is old says nothing about the time taken for it to be created.

My point was merely that the simplistic view of either theory can sound absurd.
Particularly when you recognise that one was not written as a science text book, yet 'happens' to get the order of the appearance of various classes of animal correct - at a time when that order was not known.
Your default hermeneutic for any text isn't the only one available (neither is mine).
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

PDQ Mobile
Posts: 3973
Joined: 2 Aug 2015, 4:40pm

Re: High Performance Cars

Postby PDQ Mobile » 23 Nov 2020, 1:37pm

[XAP]Bob wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:
Ah - yes the "the world can't have been created in seven days because it's old" straw man.

I assume you favour the other fantastical theory: "There was nothing, and it exploded".


Sure, given among other things the fossil record.
I inhabit a part of the globe where the rocks are in part more than 500 million years old.
No terrestrial life only marine.
But they are far down the line in Earth time scale.

That there is great mystery though is clear.
I am open to anything.



So why can't it have been created in seven days?
The fact that something is old says nothing about the time taken for it to be created.

My point was merely that the simplistic view of either theory can sound absurd.
Particularly when you recognise that one was not written as a science text book, yet 'happens' to get the order of the appearance of various classes of animal correct - at a time when that order was not known.
Your default hermeneutic for any text isn't the only one available (neither is mine).


The Earth as we inhabit it today is clearly very very old. Old almost beyond imagining.
And that is provable. Or has been proved to my satifaction.

The evolved life forms show a linear development.

It is perfectly possible however, that the initial "seeding" of life took but a moment, no need for seven days.

It remains,for now, part of the mystery.
I would hardly wish it otherwise.

kwackers
Posts: 15231
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: High Performance Cars

Postby kwackers » 23 Nov 2020, 3:00pm

PDQ Mobile wrote:And that is provable. Or has been proved to my satifaction.

I quite enjoy a bit of "flat earth" nonsense on YouTube (or "dinosaurs never existed", "space isn't real" etc)
But what I learned watching it is that I'm not as clever as I thought, when trying to explain things I suddenly came across gaps in my knowledge that I hadn't even been aware existed.
Usually easy enough to fill in but I was still surprised by how rubbish I was.


My current interest is genetics and in particular how DNA codes for switches, loops, delays and all sorts of other stuff that make it able to produce a wide range of creatures from a fairly restricted protein set.
It's actually a lot like computer programming! I reckon if I was younger I'd do genetics rather than programming...


As an aside: I bought a new camera for my telescope with the hope of getting some good shots of Mars unfortunately poor weather and a general lack of time put paid to that.
Whilst I have a decent telescope and lots of other astronomy gear I lack the commitment to standing outside in the freezing cold for too long (plus my garden is full of mature trees and the local seeing is crap anyway)
One of my favourite astronomy things is to get the folding bed/settee out of the conservatory and then tuck myself in with my missus under a duvet in the back garden and enjoy the spectacle - no telescope needed. (Particularly during meteor showers.)

(Not that any of this as anything to do with High Performance Cars but that ship sailed some time ago)

PDQ Mobile
Posts: 3973
Joined: 2 Aug 2015, 4:40pm

Re: High Performance Cars

Postby PDQ Mobile » 23 Nov 2020, 5:50pm

kwackers wrote:One of my favourite astronomy things is to get the folding bed/settee out of the conservatory and then tuck myself in with my missus under a duvet in the back garden and enjoy the spectacle - no telescope needed. (Particularly during meteor showers.)

(Not that any of this as anything to do with High Performance Cars but that ship sailed some time ago)


You could find a tenuous link maybe?

Elon Must (sic) makes performance cars and intends using one, or systems based on one, to colonize Mars. It's even more fanciful than what is proposed here!

At least there's no dirt to obscure the cameras up there, as getting out and cleaning them is difficult.
On account of the low temps and lack of oxygen.
Or the failed 50p (dream on) switch that operates the hatch!!

Is is exactly that unreliability that I think will consign the automated and driverless motorway to the dustbin of history.
For one weak link will be enough to cripple it.

That is the reality of today and of tomrw.

My cars lack of anything, other sheer unsurpassed practicality, and superb reliability, have absolutely nothing to do with it.

Apart, I guess, from my ill hidden smirk as I cruise untroubled by a hard shoulder filled with vehicles with shorted electrics, on some foul flooded night.
Or maybe they were the ones whose cameras were just so covered in road dirt they no longer functioned.

It was hard to tell in the dark and wet.

Ps.
Yesterday's fine couple of meteors a thing of the past today.
One passed almost across the entire visible sky. Was moving too!
As a child, and once since, I actually heard one! Not a boom but a rushing noise.

And the blue green metallic one remains strong in memory.
My favourites are the ones that leave a long lasting sparkly trail though.

Not tonight however. All is shrouded in dank and wet.

sjs
Posts: 931
Joined: 24 Jan 2010, 10:08pm
Location: Hitchin

Re: High Performance Cars

Postby sjs » 23 Nov 2020, 6:11pm

PDQ Mobile wrote:At least there's no dirt to obscure the cameras up there, as getting out and cleaning them is difficult.
On account of the low temps and lack of oxygen.
Or the failed 50p (dream on) switch that operates the hatch!!

I was referring to its cost to Tesla, not to me. Which will be zero, since it's a company lease vehicle and under warranty anyway. If you saw it and tried using it you'd believe it's cheap. My preferred mode of exiting at the moment is to open the window and use the outside handle. There is a manual release internally, but using it generates warnings on the screen that the window won't be lowered a bit as it's supposed to be, and that some trim might therefore get damaged.

kwackers
Posts: 15231
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: High Performance Cars

Postby kwackers » 23 Nov 2020, 6:15pm

PDQ Mobile wrote:<snip>

I honestly can't be bothered addressing the crap you post.

I suggest you continue ignoring the real world because it's about to go somewhere you're really not going to like.