High Performance Cars

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Bonefishblues

Re: High Performance Cars

Postby Bonefishblues » 23 Nov 2020, 6:39pm

kwackers wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:<snip>

I honestly can't be bothered addressing the crap you post.

I suggest you continue ignoring the real world because it's about to go somewhere you're really not going to like.

And the vehicles it's using to get there with the advanced control systems will have priority over the human-controlled ones, I'm sure.

PDQ Mobile

Postby PDQ Mobile » 23 Nov 2020, 6:45pm

kwackers wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:<snip>

I honestly can't be bothered addressing the crap you post.

I suggest you continue ignoring the real world because it's about to go somewhere you're really not going to like.

You may well right about the latter.
Indeed it seems pretty certain.

The first is a little harsh I think.
It's just a POV, with a dash of lighthearted tongue in cheek humour, nothing more.
It is however a genuine POV.

Best leave it then. Didn't want to upset you.
Respect your views, even if I don't always agree.

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 24 Nov 2020, 12:15pm

PDQ Mobile wrote:The first is a little harsh I think.

It probably was, apologies.

PDQ Mobile

Postby PDQ Mobile » 24 Nov 2020, 12:30pm

No problem. And thanks.
Go for it.

Pebble

Postby Pebble » 24 Nov 2020, 1:08pm

for the tesla drivers; how does the autonomous mode handle wildlife / bird life etc. Do you get to chose what morals your car will follow. I take a great deal of care but I know some drivers don't give a dam, would hate to own a car with the latter attitude.

Billy007

Postby Billy007 » 1 Dec 2020, 8:23pm

Pebble wrote:for the tesla drivers; how does the autonomous mode handle wildlife / bird life etc. Do you get to chose what morals your car will follow. I take a great deal of care but I know some drivers don't give a dam, would hate to own a car with the latter attitude.

Surely it's the driver that has the attitude you allure to, not the car? The car is an inanimate object.

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 1 Dec 2020, 8:58pm

I notice with some pleasure * that Dacia's impending 'leccy SUV (eg mum's taxi...) is reported to be limited to a top speed of 78mph... (on the down-side, it's still a ruddy great fat lump, with no decent pedestrian / cyclist protection evident.)
* I spose approval's a better word...
byyeee,
SiE

landsurfer

Postby landsurfer » 1 Dec 2020, 9:35pm

My 2009 Kawasaki ZZR 1200 has a top speed of 186 mph.
Out of the box, ... tune it .... and it will go faster.
The roll on acceleration between 40 and 70 mph is faster ... FASTER ... than a Phantom FGR2, a Tornado GR4 ... on take off .. max mil, with burners.
At a RWYB event i hit 158mph in a 1/4 of a mile segment of the Sandtoft runway...

Adrenaline is brown .... but you will never feel the adrenaline or dopamine hit that this produces hiding under the stairs ......

Time and a place for high performance vehicles, track days .. drag racing ....and don't start me on bloody Tesla's ... 100% of torque .... instantly ....
Eco Green Power ........... :lol:
Be More Mike.
The Road Goes On Forever

Pebble

Postby Pebble » 1 Dec 2020, 11:22pm

Billy007 wrote:
Pebble wrote:for the tesla drivers; how does the autonomous mode handle wildlife / bird life etc. Do you get to chose what morals your car will follow. I take a great deal of care but I know some drivers don't give a dam, would hate to own a car with the latter attitude.

Surely it's the driver that has the attitude you allure to, not the car? The car is an inanimate object.

As there is no driver In an autonomous car, the attitude is down to the programming .

So how does an autonomous car deal with wildlife? is there a user setting?

tim-b

Postby tim-b » 2 Dec 2020, 5:10am

Hi
So how does an autonomous car deal with wildlife? is there a user setting?

There's a vegetarian setting... so that pheasants don't end up in the grill :D
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 2 Dec 2020, 8:44am

Pebble wrote:So how does an autonomous car deal with wildlife? is there a user setting?

I doubt it.

My guess:
Big stuff it'll treat like pedestrians, brake, try to steer round etc.
Small stuff it'll treat like debris in the road and try to steer to avoid running over with the wheels.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 2 Dec 2020, 10:11am

landsurfer wrote: ........Time and a place for high performance vehicles, track days .. drag racing.......

And therein lies the problem,people are using public roads as their track days and drag strips,and without a police presence it's more evident.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 2 Dec 2020, 10:26am

rareposter

Postby rareposter » 2 Dec 2020, 11:33am

thirdcrank wrote:Autonomous vehicles are coming to a dealership near you sooner than you think.

Far worse than that. SEMI-autonomous vehicles are already here and as a result, many drivers are essentially "switching off" at the wheel, assuming the car will do everything for them.

Autonomous (as in fully-automated robotic cars that require nothing more than an end point programming in) are decades off being used on normal public roads. They just don't work with a random mix of non-computer controlled entities around them. I can see the first introduction being an autonomous lane on motorways but the UK road infrastructure at the moment in towns and cities simply won't support full auto. Or, to put it more bluntly, if you threw hundreds of billions at it, you could get it close but for no discernible benefit.

There's a further problem. Do you really think that a road full of autonomous vehicles are going to give you 1.5m passing space, only ever drive at the speed limit, never cut you up? Rubbish. The easier option is to ban bicycles because otherwise you could play all sorts of games with auto-cars like swerving in front of them to force them to slam on the brakes (same with pedestrians to be honest).

Regarding High Performance Cars though - rather than a blanket ban on what someone deems as HP (measured on what - bhp, 0-60 time...?) there are considerably greater arguments for a "Public Roads Mode" which prevents over-speeding by more than (say) 20%. But then car manufacturers (and the buying public) have entirely the wrong frame of mind other than when NCAP Safety Ratings were brought in and manufacturers could (and did) make adverts showing how great their cars where when you piled it into a motorway barrier.

It would be a simple step to make unbreakable cars using fingerprint or eye / face recognition but instead they've gone the other way with Keyless Entry and Keyless Start. It would be simple to link the engine start to the insurance (as it would be to have ANPR cameras at all fuel stations - no insurance / tax / MOT = no unlock of the pump). Log into the car with your fingerprint, car checks who you are and if you have a licence / insurance. It would be simple to mandate black box and dashcam in every car, auto-download that to the insurance and police at a crash and job done for investigation. A mandatory re-test every few years would also be in order - in no other area is someone allowed to qualify in a single exam and then carry on for potentially 50 years with no retest.

It would also be simple to re-write the laws to actually ensure that dangerous drivers were dealt with and, in conjunction with some of the measures above, ensure that they don't just walk out of court and climb into another car. Doing that would vastly improve safety on the roads (as well as resulting in a LOT less traffic!) and it's less of a blunt instrument of simply saying "this car has 300bhp, it's now banned".

peetee

Postby peetee » 2 Dec 2020, 11:34am

reohn2 wrote:
landsurfer wrote: ........Time and a place for high performance vehicles, track days .. drag racing.......

And therein lies the problem,people are using public roads as their track days and drag strips,and without a police presence it's more evident.

It’s more than that, the performance of the average car is now such that in the vast majority of situations the dynamic capability of the vehicle is barely touched upon. Back in the seventies and eighties we were driving cars that needed a lot more throttle and brake pressure to get along. Handling on bends and over undulating or poor surfaces was far less assured. When was the last time you had to bury the accelerator pedal in the carpet just to get up a hill or felt the wheels wander on a greasy surface? I can’t think that I have ever needed to put my very ordinary Polo’s throttle pedal even half way to the floor in normal driving.
With this extra capability it’s bound to be used by not just ‘boy racers’ but those; late for a meeting, late for work, late picking up the kids, needing the loo, annoyed at another driver, just had a row at home, still having a row in the car, showing off the new motor, trying out the new motor, under the influence of medication, under the influence of other drugs.
Cars are so cosseting these days that I don’t think the average driver has any idea how their presence, speed and positioning affects other un-cocooned road users. Most of the situations that appear threatening to us as cyclists (and, largely for pedestrians too) ie speed, speed of approach, proximity, tyre and engine noise are being filtered and diluted by the vehicle so when challenged the driver considers themselves without fault. “I gave you loads of room” “What you moaning about? I didn’t hit you, did I?” Excessive speed is commonplace. Not just in absolute terms such as speed limits, but such that the dynamics of vehicles create the expectation that higher average speed is possible in most situations and when delays and obstructions occur drivers are less inclined to deal with them in a calm, measured and considerate manner; cars are getting faster but horses and cyclist are not.
Winter had arrived in the land of Kernow. Along with it came wet roads and cool winds.
“Oh, my wheels and coupling rods!” Peetee exclaimed.