Close Passes - thread on motoring forum

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Grandad

Re: Close Passes - thread on motoring forum

Postby Grandad » 2 Dec 2020, 5:30pm

If there was a Not Just a Minute prize for deviation this thread would be a winner :D

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 2 Dec 2020, 5:37pm

Grandad wrote:If there was a Not Just a Minute prize for deviation this thread would be a winner :D

This is not a bad thing :D

mikeymo

Postby mikeymo » 2 Dec 2020, 9:33pm

Bonefishblues wrote:
mikeymo wrote:
Bmblbzzz wrote:I think the keen drivers point is valid. I often notice when passed by columns of souped up hot Subarus and the like, all spoilers and extra wide zorsts, that they are some of the most likely to give a really wide pass.

I had a Subaru until very recently. It wasn't "souped up". It didn't need to be - 250 BHP, 3.0 litre flat 6 Boxer engine (like a Porsche). Floor that and it shifted, I can tell you. And smooth as silk, due the nature of 6 cylinder engines. I thought it would be expensive to insure. Not so. The broker told me that Subaru drivers actually have a low accident rate, generally. They are seen as a car for "serious" drivers, because they are so well engineered. So people buy them who take a pride in their driving. As opposed to the mob that think putting wide tyres on a Corsa and drilling holes in the exhaust somehow makes then Lewis Hamilton.

Point of order.

The H6 is a flat 6 Boxer. The Porsche 911 lineage has a flat 6, but isn't a Boxer :D

I'm sure you're right.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en_AU/2020/technology/porsche-boxer-engine-911-turbo-s-christophorus-394-20427.html#:~:text=The%20new%20Porsche%20911%20Turbo%20S%20rounds%20out%20the%20boxer%20engine%20family.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_911

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 2 Dec 2020, 9:35pm

Which Porsche flat six are you saying isn't a boxer?

Thanks

Jonathan

mikeymo

Postby mikeymo » 2 Dec 2020, 9:36pm

Grandad wrote:If there was a Not Just a Minute prize for deviation this thread would be a winner :D

Don't blame me. Somebody mentioned Subarus in the context of close passing. I said I had one and that it seemed Subaru drivers were actually considered good drivers. Somebody took part of my post (a minor part) and alleged an inaccuracy. And off it went.

mikeymo

Postby mikeymo » 2 Dec 2020, 9:37pm

Jdsk wrote:Which Porsche flat six are you saying isn't a boxer?

Thanks

Jonathan

Define "you".

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 2 Dec 2020, 9:39pm

You, mikeymo in "I'm sure you're right" above.

Jonathan

mikeymo

Postby mikeymo » 3 Dec 2020, 11:31am

Jdsk wrote:You, mikeymo in "I'm sure you're right" above.

Jonathan

I see, thanks. I agree, reading linked web pages is such a useful thing to do, isn't it? It really helps to clarify issues about which there is confusion.

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 3 Dec 2020, 11:34am

mikeymo wrote:

Jonathan

I see, thanks. I agree, reading linked web pages is such a useful thing to do, isn't it? It really helps to clarify issues about which there is confusion.

Reading the thread's good, too :wink:

mikeymo

Postby mikeymo » 3 Dec 2020, 11:35am

Bonefishblues wrote:
mikeymo wrote:

Jonathan

I agree. But one has to be careful with contradiction, don't you think?

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 3 Dec 2020, 11:37am

How about discussing boxers... I read what you said as asserting that there are flat sixes in production Porsche 911s that aren't boxers. Is that what you are saying?

Thanks

Jonathan

mikeymo

Postby mikeymo » 3 Dec 2020, 11:38am

Jdsk wrote:How about discussing boxers... I read what you said as asserting that there are flat sixes in production Porsche 911s that aren't boxers. Is that what you are saying?

Thanks

Jonathan

Who, and where?

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 3 Dec 2020, 11:39am

mikeymo wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
mikeymo wrote:

I agree. But one has to be careful with contradiction, don't you think?

One does, and when I realised I was wrong, I said so immediately.

Is there anything else you'd like me to add to that?

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 3 Dec 2020, 11:42am

mikeymo wrote:
Jdsk wrote:How about discussing boxers... I read what you said as asserting that there are flat sixes in production Porsche 911s that aren't boxers. Is that what you are saying?

Who, and where?

When you, mikeymo, said "I'm sure you're right" in response to "The Porsche 911 lineage has a flat 6, but isn't a Boxer" above.

Jonathan

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 3 Dec 2020, 11:46am

Jdsk wrote:
mikeymo wrote:

Who, and where?

When you, mikeymo, said "I'm sure you're right" in response to "The Porsche 911 lineage has a flat 6, but isn't a Boxer" above.

Jonathan

I'm assuming Mikeymo was wishing to be sarcastic to me, at least that's my reading of it.

Sometimes having the grace to accept you are wrong isn't matched by the grace of others in understanding that people make mistakes, I find.