Close Passes - thread on motoring forum

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mikeymo

Re: Close Passes - thread on motoring forum

Postby mikeymo » 3 Dec 2020, 11:47am

Jdsk wrote:
mikeymo wrote:
Jdsk wrote:How about discussing boxers... I read what you said as asserting that there are flat sixes in production Porsche 911s that aren't boxers. Is that what you are saying?

Who, and where?

When you said "I'm sure you're right" in response to "The Porsche 911 lineage has a flat 6, but isn't a Boxer" above.

Jonathan

Mmmm. I suppose the written word doesn't really work in this context. In speech, with the inflection that could be added, the meaning would have been better. I humbly apologise.

The word that I should have added was "not". As in "I'm not sure you're right". Followed by the linked web pages that seem to say the Porsche Flat 6 engines are indeed "Boxer" engines.

Why did I feel the need to be "ironic"? Or perhaps hope that people would read my linked pages and see the difference?

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 3 Dec 2020, 11:48am

Thanks

Jonathan

mikeymo

Postby mikeymo » 3 Dec 2020, 11:52am

Bonefishblues wrote:
Jdsk wrote:
mikeymo wrote:Who, and where?

When you, mikeymo, said "I'm sure you're right" in response to "The Porsche 911 lineage has a flat 6, but isn't a Boxer" above.

Jonathan

I'm assuming Mikeymo was wishing to be sarcastic to me, at least that's my reading of it.

Sometimes having the grace to accept you are wrong isn't matched by the grace of others in understanding that people make mistakes, I find.

You yourself would have demonstrated the "grace" that you think is necessary by addressing your correction to me directly. As it was me that you said was wrong.

I would say my comment of "I'm sure you're right" was intended as irony, rather than sarcasm. But I suppose tone and intention gets lost in the written word. But yes, I myself made a mistake by not being direct.

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 3 Dec 2020, 11:55am

mikeymo wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
Jdsk wrote:When you, mikeymo, said "I'm sure you're right" in response to "The Porsche 911 lineage has a flat 6, but isn't a Boxer" above.

Jonathan

I'm assuming Mikeymo was wishing to be sarcastic to me, at least that's my reading of it.

Sometimes having the grace to accept you are wrong isn't matched by the grace of others in understanding that people make mistakes, I find.

You yourself would have demonstrated the "grace" that you think is necessary by addressing your correction to me directly. As it was me that you said was wrong.

I would say my comment of "I'm sure you're right" was intended as irony, rather than sarcasm. But I suppose tone and intention gets lost in the written word. But yes, I myself made a mistake by not being direct.

You weren't on thread and ano pointed it out to me. I mistakenly believed that would be sufficient having had an exchange with him - I'm sorry that I didn't address you directly.

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 3 Dec 2020, 11:56am

Bonefishblues wrote:
mikeymo wrote:
Bmblbzzz wrote:I think the keen drivers point is valid. I often notice when passed by columns of souped up hot Subarus and the like, all spoilers and extra wide zorsts, that they are some of the most likely to give a really wide pass.

I had a Subaru until very recently. It wasn't "souped up". It didn't need to be - 250 BHP, 3.0 litre flat 6 Boxer engine (like a Porsche). Floor that and it shifted, I can tell you. And smooth as silk, due the nature of 6 cylinder engines. I thought it would be expensive to insure. Not so. The broker told me that Subaru drivers actually have a low accident rate, generally. They are seen as a car for "serious" drivers, because they are so well engineered. So people buy them who take a pride in their driving. As opposed to the mob that think putting wide tyres on a Corsa and drilling holes in the exhaust somehow makes then Lewis Hamilton.

Point of order.

The H6 is a flat 6 Boxer. The Porsche 911 lineage has a flat 6, but isn't a Boxer :D

This post that I wrote to you, Mikeymo is wrong.

The Porsche line of 6 cylinder engines are boxer engines.

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 3 Dec 2020, 11:57am

But back to underpants and engines.

be001.jpg

Anyone?

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 3 Dec 2020, 11:58am, edited 1 time in total.

mikeymo

Postby mikeymo » 3 Dec 2020, 11:57am

Bonefishblues wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
mikeymo wrote:
I had a Subaru until very recently. It wasn't "souped up". It didn't need to be - 250 BHP, 3.0 litre flat 6 Boxer engine (like a Porsche). Floor that and it shifted, I can tell you. And smooth as silk, due the nature of 6 cylinder engines. I thought it would be expensive to insure. Not so. The broker told me that Subaru drivers actually have a low accident rate, generally. They are seen as a car for "serious" drivers, because they are so well engineered. So people buy them who take a pride in their driving. As opposed to the mob that think putting wide tyres on a Corsa and drilling holes in the exhaust somehow makes then Lewis Hamilton.

Point of order.

The H6 is a flat 6 Boxer. The Porsche 911 lineage has a flat 6, but isn't a Boxer :D

This post that I wrote to you, Mikeymo is wrong.

The Porsche line of 6 cylinder engines are boxer engines.

Thanks.

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 3 Dec 2020, 1:18pm

Subaru
Stuffed Up Beyond All Repair Usually :wink:

Is there a good reason why bwms are much more numerous/popular than subarae?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

tatanab

Postby tatanab » 3 Dec 2020, 1:34pm

Cyril Haearn wrote:Subaru
Stuffed Up Beyond All Repair Usually :wink:
That is because you are thinking of only one specific model, not the others that count for 90% of their sales and are regarded as highly dependable family transport, especially for those a little off the beaten track. I've had two, and neither were the go faster type you are thinking of.

paddler

Postby paddler » 3 Dec 2020, 2:05pm

Jdsk wrote:But back to underpants and engines.

be001.jpg
Anyone?

Jonathan

Afraid not! :D

Dave

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 3 Dec 2020, 5:32pm

There's a clue in an earlier response...

: - )

Jonathan

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 3 Dec 2020, 5:37pm

be001.jpg
Anyone?

Jonathan

Still from Brief Encounter, I'm assuming :D

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 3 Dec 2020, 5:38pm

: - )

Any more... ?

Jonathan

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 3 Dec 2020, 6:35pm

Bonefishblues wrote:

be001.jpg
Anyone?

Jonathan

Definitely Brief Encounter.

paddler

Postby paddler » 3 Dec 2020, 8:05pm

kwackers wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:

be001.jpg
Anyone?

Jonathan

Definitely Brief Encounter.

Briefs Encounter