Helmets - useful or waste of money?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
piedwagtail91

Post by piedwagtail91 »

i think you have to assess the risks of the ride and make up your own mind.if it's frosty/icy or I'm going through busy town centres i wear a helmet.
if I'm out on minor roads with little traffic i dont.
i don't go off road but would wear one if i did.

i once used a trike with single pannier , does that upset anyone??? :D
james01

Post by james01 »

piedwagtail91 wrote:i think you have to assess the risks of the ride and make up your own mind.if it's frosty/icy or I'm going through busy town centres i wear a helmet.
if I'm out on minor roads with little traffic i dont.

Same as me.
And if I want to pop out quickly to get a pint of milk at a local store, I would resent any law which required me to wear a helmet (a law which would encourage many would-be cyclists to jump into the car for this kind of trip).
Dee Jay

Post by Dee Jay »

gilesjuk wrote:I've banged my head many times on branches while riding off road.

I've come into contact with - rather than banged on - branches while cycling 'on-road'! :D
Dee
Dee Jay

Post by Dee Jay »

james01 wrote: And if I want to pop out quickly to get a pint of milk at a local store, I would resent any law which required me to wear a helmet (a law which would encourage many would-be cyclists to jump into the car for this kind of trip).

Indeed.

It would be a bit like my friend's children's school's 'Walking Bus'. Several parents who walk to school, volunteered to supervise a new 'Walking Bus'. However, it would, of course, *have* to be an organised 'walk' rather than a 'walking-to-school' walk. So, the insurers were brought in, everybody had to wear hi-vis and the children who had happily been walking - unprotected by hi-vis clothing - refused to wear these enormous jackets which were supplied.

And the upshot is that those who were walking can longer walk or they have to walk extra-early or extra-late to make sure that no other unaccompanied children 'walk' with them!! :roll:

Oh, my days!
Dee
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I have just tried riding my Trike with a single roll top pannier on my head.....

I couldn't see a thing, so I guess this combination is unsafe.....
archy sturmer

Post by archy sturmer »

Was accosted by a fellow cyclist once... politely urged me to get a helmet, Told me he wouldn't be here now but for his helmet. Saved his life in a freak accident when he came off bike at a walking pace.
Hmmm, I thought later - does he wear a helmet for the much more hazardous actvity of going up or down stairs?
That's not a recent photo, by the way
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I will have to look them up again, but the Government's safety campaign for children cycling (the Hedgehogs) now advocates that children should not cycle without knee and elbow pads aas well.

They have a "Dress the cyclist game" and withouth Helmet, gloves, hi-viz, elbow and knee pads you lose!
piedwagtail91

Post by piedwagtail91 »

Cunobelin wrote:I will have to look them up again, but the Government's safety campaign for children cycling (the Hedgehogs) now advocates that children should not cycle without knee and elbow pads aas well.

They have a "Dress the cyclist game" and withouth Helmet, gloves, hi-viz, elbow and knee pads you lose!

i think steel toe cap boots should be compulsory, just in case someone rides over your foot. well it could happen. :D
gaz

Post by gaz »

Cunobelin wrote:I have just tried riding my Trike with a single roll top pannier on my head.....
I couldn't see a thing, so I guess this combination is unsafe.....

Only half as dangerous as riding with two panniers on your head. :lol:
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
stoatsngroats

I just want to ask..

Post by stoatsngroats »

...for the no helmet brigade,
...Is there any scenario you could envisage where you MAY want to wear a cycle helmet...an example of injury to youself which, in your view, COULD be have been reduced specifically BECAUSE you were wearing a helmet..?

I ask ONLY because I feel that when I put helmet on, if it only prevents a bruise, or a painful scrape down the road on my cheek, then its worthwhile to be worn.

(just today I observed a man fall from his bike, in a cycle lane, without ANY third party involved, and knock himself unconscious, and cause a very nasty injury just above his left eye. He was out for probably 4 minutes, and look quite damaged.......) :cry:

I'm not trying to persuade ANYONE to make changes, or PROVE a point. merely interested in the thought process which is diametrically different to mine! :shock:
Tom Richardson

Post by Tom Richardson »

I know what you mean stoatsngroats. When I was at college a friend of mine walked smack into a lampost (while I was there) and ended up in hospital with a nasty head injury. Another got knocked unconscious when a suitcase of all things fell off a ledge and hit them on the head. I got knocked unconscious once as a passenger in a car.

Never known anyone get knocked out while riding a bike though (not personally anyway)
aesmith

Re: I just want to ask..

Post by aesmith »

stoatsngroats wrote:...for the no helmet brigade,
...Is there any scenario you could envisage where you MAY want to wear a cycle helmet...

Possibly. At the moment my perception of the risk is that it doesn't justify the inconvenience. So I take more pleasure in riding without than I would with.

After an accident, maybe my perception might change. I might find I worry about risks in a way that I don't just now, and in that case I may be happier putting up with the helmet if it reduced that worry. I don't know, but that might be possible. Of course it might put me off cycling altogether.

Tony S
stoatsngroats

Post by stoatsngroats »

@Tom.......Fair point regarding those incidents, I take your point. Do you feel that as a cyclist on road (or off road for that matter,) that you don't increase your chances of having an accident...?

@ aesmith....again fair point to you too, I've never considered whether the wearing of a helmet was any less pleasurable than without...perhaps I have more pleasure to experience!!

THX to you both for those, I'm interested to have had your opinions!
piedwagtail91

Post by piedwagtail91 »

this seems to be turning into another helmet thread :lol:
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

What makes you say that :?: