Worst ride of the year

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
johncarnie

Re: Worst ride of the year

Postby johncarnie » 13 Dec 2020, 12:53pm

I always pack light work gloves (Contour Avenger) - they keep some of the cold out and are really "grippy" for getting reluctant Marathons onto the rim. Trouble is when your hands are so cold, unless the thorn is really long you fail to feel it when you examine the tyre!

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 13 Dec 2020, 12:56pm

Thanks, just ordering a pair to try.

Jonathan

roberts8

Postby roberts8 » 13 Dec 2020, 6:33pm

Good idea about the gloves, I will also order some as with arthritis in both thumbs not so easy now to roll a tyre over a rim. I also use a small container of soap to apply to the rim. I should start another question but can I convert existing rims to tubeless and I am loathe to dump a good pair of expensive rims.

rfryer

Postby rfryer » 13 Dec 2020, 10:30pm

roberts8 wrote:I should start another question but can I convert existing rims to tubeless and I am loathe to dump a good pair of expensive rims.

It's sometimes possible, but not usually Ideal. With tubeless tyres you want them to remain in place on the bead seat if flat, rather than sliding into the rim well. To make this possible, the rims have a level bread seat. To convert to tubeless, as well as sealing all the spoke holes, you'd also need to use tape to build up the bread seat profile accordingly.

CliveyT

Postby CliveyT » 14 Dec 2020, 10:43am

Ellieb wrote:If you can find them these days, having a pair of nitrile/latex surgical gloves keeps your hands clean and slightly warmer while changing a tyre.

There are advantages to working in a lab. I usually grab a handful and stick in my pockets so I have them available when I need them during the day. Occasionally I get to the end of the day and haven't used them all. Well I can't put them back in the box, it seems a waste to just throw them out- what else am I meant to do with them? :)

PH

Postby PH » 14 Dec 2020, 10:17pm

johncarnie wrote:I always pack light work gloves (Contour Avenger) - they keep some of the cold out and are really "grippy" for getting reluctant Marathons onto the rim.

I have some similar work gloves, I find them much better than the disposables.
Trouble is when your hands are so cold, unless the thorn is really long you fail to feel it when you examine the tyre!

I have a scar across the top of an index finger from finding a sliver of glass with it :?
Better to run a tissue or cloth lightly round the inside and feel for it snagging, which you can do however cold it is.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 15 Dec 2020, 11:16am

PH wrote:I have a scar across the top of an index finger from finding a sliver of glass with it :?
Better to run a tissue or cloth lightly round the inside and feel for it snagging, which you can do however cold it is.

yep, that is the safest way; I have seen a very experienced bike mechanic (who probably should have known better) nearly remove the top of one of his fingers in a similar fashion. If the rag finds nothing then you can (cautiously) try with fingertips. Note also that the size of the hole/speed of deflation should give you a clue as to the nature of the object in the tyre.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~