Jumping on a wheel...... musings....

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
eileithyia

Jumping on a wheel...... musings....

Post by eileithyia »

Now don't get me wrong, have been cycling a long time and often in all male groups so never think or over think meeting other cyclists who happen to be male who may or may not ride with me or on my wheel for a short way.... If I am annoyed about someone on my wheel it is more about the fact they do it without any communication. However I do know from some of the ladies' chat groups a lot of the ladies (who possibly haven't always ridden in all male groups) find it unnerving and intimidating.

Yesterday out for a solo ride I caught someone up, clearly not a very experienced cyclist to my mind cos his hill climbing technique was dreadful, said Hi and received no response. I then realised he was on my wheel, kicked on a bit and dropped him but he got back on at next junction. So in the end I said to him that a, it would be respectful if he bothered to acknowledge me, b, re-thought his strategy of jumping on the wheel of a lone female, as not all women appreciate and find it intimidating... he didn't seem to think it was a problem.

It is complex cos we know most cyclists see themselves as just that, fellow cyclists in arms, friendly and completely harmless.

But wonder do the Gents consider how a lone female might feel, that it might feel a bit creepy etc. After all would you follow or want female members of your family being followed so closely if out walking / in other situations?

Just some musings....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Jdsk

Re: Jumping on a wheel...... musings....

Post by Jdsk »

Does this mean close enough to get a tow? If so I agree that there should be some communication.

Does the sex of the follower make any difference?

Thanks

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Creepy is my first thought.
Why, is my second thought.

It's creepy and weird that a solitary chap might be riding close behind a solitary woman.
Intimidating definitely.

If it were me, I'd pull over and let him pass. Let him go and get well ahead, and then carry on at your own pace.
Mick F. Cornwall
paddler

Post by paddler »

Mick F wrote:Creepy is my first thought.
Why, is my second thought.

It's creepy and weird that a solitary chap might be riding close behind a solitary woman.
Intimidating definitely.

If it were me, I'd pull over and let him pass. Let him go and get well ahead, and then carry on at your own pace.

Completely agree with this, but I also wouldn't jump on the wheel of a bloke I didn't know either.
Ugly

Post by Ugly »

A regular clearing of the nasal passages, cyclist style, usually deters wheelsuckers, failing that a slight slowing and a quick flick left or right does the trick, but then I can be a very nasty person.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

I wish for the legs to still be able to jump on a wheel :oops:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

eileithyia
Knowing you as I do,I feel sure you left him in no doubt of his trangressions :shock: :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Thank you for raising the point. Always interesting to hear another view point. Generally speaking my average cycling speed is below that of most others so 'jumping on another person's wheel is not an opportunity for me...

However may I take this opportunity to ask, is it disconcerting for a cyclist, travelling by themselves (whom may be female) to be greeted with a 'hello' from another cyclist (who happens to be male... and may look a bit like a homeless person, on a bike which may on further observation be constructed from pieces of other bikes) travelling in the opposite direction?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Either being overtaken or catching up I usually say something or smile or wave. Partly courtesy and partly to avoid surprise in the latter situation.

(But I only score 2 out of 3... )

Jonathan

PS: Cue "No eye contact in order to keep them guessing"? : - )
slowster

Post by slowster »

I've always found it annoying to realise that someone is sitting on my rear wheel unannounced. Doing so without first riding alongside and saying at least hello is rude and bad form. Exchanging the time of day first gives you the opportunity to judge if it is acceptable to then sit on their wheel (assuming there is reason for doing so, e.g. singling up for passing cars). Sometimes people (myself included) just don't feel particularly sociable and do not want company, and that includes someone sitting on their wheel.

That said, it's not something for which it is easy to lay down hard and fast rules. I remember once riding an audax when I was a lot fitter and being surprised looking over my shoulder to see umpteen riders had formed into a group on my back wheel, and that's probably par for the course in an audax.

Nevertheless for a man to sit unannounced on the wheel of a female rider, especially a solo female rider, is distinctly creepy.

cycle tramp wrote:However may I take this opportunity to ask, is it disconcerting for a cyclist, travelling by themselves (whom may be female) to be greeted with a 'hello' from another cyclist (who happens to be male... and may look a bit like a homeless person, on a bike which may on further observation be constructed from pieces of other bikes) travelling in the opposite direction?

I commend to you the 'Imperceptible Nod of Recognition'. This is something which all proper cyclists should master, and involves just the slightest nod in the direction of the oncoming cyclist. Unlike calling hello, it does not place any onus on the other cyclist to give a verbal response, or even to respond in kind.
delilah

Post by delilah »

The most annoying one is where they sit on your wheel without an acknowledgement . You then tow them all the way almost to the top of the climb then they come through and past you in the last 10 yards. Shows a total lack of Etiquette!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Let's accept that following somebody you don't know closely on foot is odd and generally threatening. Following too closely in a motor vehicle is downright dangerous and women seem to be just as bad as men in this respect.

Sitting on a wheel is quite different. I've been through the seven ages of the bike rider and I'm now firmly in number seven: cream crackered.

The big point is there's a good explanation for doing this and it's that every rider with half an ounce of experience knows it's the best place to be. Put another way, there's an innocent explanation if somebody does it. I don't ever remember being bothered by somebody sitting on my wheel: it's something of a compliment, IMO, although I've never had to worry that somebody may be thinking of a bit of goosing.

I've always been more than happy to sit on any wheel, so long as it's been protected by a mudguard, preferably + nice mudflap, in wet weather. Over the years, I've had a lot more people showing off and charging past with me getting straight on their wheel than people sitting on mine. The biggest irritation is when they can't keep it up.

I'm probably much too old to benefit from self-identification - as a protected sprinter.
Boring_Username

Post by Boring_Username »

I would consider jumping on a wheel without acknowledgement rude in the case of a man, rude and creepy in the case of a woman.

But I expect that those to whom jumping on a wheel doesn't seem rude in either case, probably don't have the empathy to understand the creepy bit.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

There's Covid now to take into account too.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Not using mudguards at this time of the year, usually discourages wheel suckers. I did have some complete plank, creep up behind me, unannounced whilst I was sitting up to adjust my Garmin. I only knew he was there when he started moaning about getting sprayed by my rear wheel. I won’t repeat what I said to him here.