What's good about winter cycling

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Oldjohnw

Re: What's good about winter cycling

Postby Oldjohnw » 23 Dec 2020, 7:38am

Several days of lovely sunshine here. 25 mile + trips. Well wrapped up. What's not to like?
John

CliveyT

Postby CliveyT » 23 Dec 2020, 9:29am

What's good about winter cycling?

No other cyclists getting in my way :wink:

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 23 Dec 2020, 11:42am

Oldjohnw wrote:Several days of lovely sunshine here.
Right! That's it!

We're moving to Northumberland. :D

Not seen the sun here for days - maybe as much as a fortnight. Not stopped raining since the middle of last week.
Mick F. Cornwall

Lazycarton

Postby Lazycarton » 23 Dec 2020, 11:47am

Ride-sleep-repeat wrote:All of the above!!
I find riding in Autumn/Winter makes me feel better mentally.In the longer warmer months I generally feel good and getting on the bike is a real joy but when it's cold,dank and not as bright I find I need to push myself to get ready and head out.Once out I more or less immediately perk up.My favourite days are the cold,crisp days with not a cloud insight.The countryside,IMO,looks so much better in Winter,the colours stand out more in lower Winter sun.
It beats sitting inside any day 8)

Ditto. I suffer with depression and try to get out every other day as this is the best tonic in the darker/wetter/colder months. I don't really like getting wet whilst out, but sometimes you can't avoid it. I wear layers and take a lightweight waterproof in case in I need it. I have just invested in some rechargeable LED front and rear lights that are quite small but powerful and for day use have a "blinking" facility that seems to be effective in making me stand out.

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 23 Dec 2020, 12:36pm

Mick F wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Several days of lovely sunshine here.
Right! That's it!

We're moving to Northumberland. :D

Not seen the sun here for days - maybe as much as a fortnight. Not stopped raining since the middle of last week.

You might delay that decision. Today is wet, windy and cold and grey. I obviously spoke too soon.

It is generally true, however, that the far north east corner near the Tweed has a little micro-climate.
John

pedalsheep

Postby pedalsheep » 23 Dec 2020, 1:31pm

I've enjoyed reading some of the positive comments upthread. Unfortunately at the moment my winter cycling seems to be unending wind, rain, mud, hedge cuttings and punctures! :(
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.

foxyrider

Postby foxyrider » 23 Dec 2020, 10:00pm

The bad - well i think its all been covered, wet, wind, thorns, cold, dark, mud.

The good - well i generally ride slower if not shorter, explore those lanes i zip past in summer. I also find that other cyclists and even horse riders are friendlier this time of year. And on a nice crisp dry day theres something exhilirating about just being out.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 24 Dec 2020, 9:05am

Well ............ this morning is perfect cycling weather.
Unbroken blue sky, crisp cold dry air, gentle breeze.

Cycling today?
Not a chance. Too much to do. :cry:
Mick F. Cornwall

peetee

Postby peetee » 24 Dec 2020, 11:10am

Mick F wrote:Well ............ this morning is perfect cycling weather.

You have me to thank for that. I read your moans, sorry, comments yesterday 8) . It was fine here so I stood on the top of the hill facing east and blew as hard as I could.
Right now I’m trying to get some washing dry and it’s changing from clear to heavily overcast every couple of mins. I really don’t want washing hanging in the house ATM. :roll:
Winter had arrived in the land of Kernow. Along with it came wet roads and cool winds.
“Oh, my wheels and coupling rods!” Peetee exclaimed.

GeekDadZoid

Postby GeekDadZoid » 24 Dec 2020, 11:51am

Well I was lucky enough to be able to get out this morning, I waited for sunrise so the roads would have had a little traffic on them and went out for a 30KM ride. Absolutely beautiful day and a nice 1 1/4 hour of peace for ahead of the madness.

Hoping to get a few bike related gifts tomorrow.

Need to find some warm thin socks though, my feet were like iceblocks.
Image Attachments
IMG_20201224_091942.jpg

pedalsheep

Postby pedalsheep » 24 Dec 2020, 1:51pm

Beautiful clear views across to Dorset on my ride today. The crisp visibility on a clear winter's day is so much better than the summer haze.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.

Steve

Postby Steve » 24 Dec 2020, 8:04pm

Cycling today?

Cleaning your chain Mick?

CliveyT

Postby CliveyT » 26 Dec 2020, 3:27pm

Everyone's more friendly. We did a very pleasant 30 miles on Christmas day. A few pedestrians for the first 10 but no other cyclists but after that a decent number and a hello from all of them. Downside was we had to replan the route several times because of flooding, although that isn't just a winter problem.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 27 Dec 2020, 1:51pm

Steve wrote:

Cycling today?

Cleaning your chain Mick?

No, not at all! :lol:

Houseful of people.
Two daughters on one 11yo grandson.
One daughter lives locally (we WERE in Tier1) and one daughter and her son from Tier2 (formed a support bubble as she's a single parent)

All gone home this morning, and it's now peace and quiet here.
It's possible - or possibly possible? - that I might possibly get a ride possibly tomorrow.
Mick F. Cornwall

peetee

Postby peetee » 27 Dec 2020, 3:27pm

I just did twenty miles this morning and dodged the showers nicely, the wind was supposed to be between 20 and 40 mph but it was quite light for most of the ride and behind us when it picked up later. Very, very wet out though and the lanes were strewn with sticks and branches. We did encounter a flood which looked passable (don’t they always? :lol: ) but went on for a good 400 yards and was up and over the crank spindle at the ‘point of no return’. It made for a good workout with the huge spray guard on the bottom of my front mudguard. It felt like I was dragging a bucket :lol: .
Still enjoyed it though.
Winter had arrived in the land of Kernow. Along with it came wet roads and cool winds.
“Oh, my wheels and coupling rods!” Peetee exclaimed.