Two metre clearance

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
John Holiday

Two metre clearance

Postby John Holiday » 3 Jan 2021, 4:01pm

Think that I may have discovered a way of persuading drivers to give riders plenty of clearance- tow a trailer!
Was out this afternoon litter picking on local Sustrans routes , but had to ride down busy roads to get there. Almost without exception was given plenty of clearance & some inquisitive looks. Only exception the impatient idiot in an Audi and another in a Seven Series BMW! How dare I delay them for a few seconds!

[XAP]Bob

Re: Two metre clearance

Postby [XAP]Bob » 3 Jan 2021, 4:47pm

Trailers are nearly as effective as riding a 'bent. Towing a trailer with a 'bent is funny.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Grandad

Postby Grandad » 4 Jan 2021, 1:36am

An upright trike has the same effect.

rareposter

Postby rareposter » 4 Jan 2021, 9:39am

Best one I had for that was riding along a busy road in the Peak District between two popular tourist villages and there was a police 4x4 parked up very prominently on a bend, visible from both ways. The road can occasionally be a bit of a racetrack and it's got a few bends that catch drivers out.

I was wearing good hi-vis and had front & rear flashing lights and had a helmet mounted light (not turned on) as I knew my ride would be finishing in darkness. The policeman waved as I passed and I'm guessing the drivers behind me must have thought that I was part of some sort of close-pass operation. Every one of them almost climbed the opposite pavement as they overtook safely and carefully and considerately.

The helmet-mounted light does actually look a lot like a camera so I think the whole ensemble worked with thee police presence to give drivers the idea that there might be consequences to their actions. Need that all the time!

John Holiday

Postby John Holiday » 4 Jan 2021, 4:28pm

True regarding Police presence.
Not sure that many drivers are sufficiently observant to recognise a helmet mounted camera.
Certainly true about caution when riding trikes or recumbents, as I know from riding my Newton trike & Windcheetah recumbent.
Safe cycling.

mumbojumbo

Postby mumbojumbo » 4 Jan 2021, 4:38pm

Seems an odd way to enhance safety-youbcould tow facsimile police-car for a similar effect.i use an inflatable jacket which makes me a bout a metre wide,enough for my safety.

gaz

Postby gaz » 4 Jan 2021, 5:45pm

John Holiday wrote:Think that I may have discovered a way of persuading drivers to give riders plenty of clearance- tow a trailer!

Glad it works for you, it certainly doesn't for me.
There'll be tarmac over, the white cliffs of Dover ...

rareposter

Postby rareposter » 5 Jan 2021, 3:51pm

John Holiday wrote:True regarding Police presence.
Not sure that many drivers are sufficiently observant to recognise a helmet mounted camera.

I appreciate this is very much anecdotal / my personal experience but I tend to start using the helmet-mounted light in winter time as a supplement to the bar light when I have rides I know or suspect will end past sunset and riding in daylight with the torch mounted on the helmet (but not turned on), it's a very obvious sticky-outy thing and it does *seem* to result in wider / more considerate passes.

I did once have a rider chase me down on a commute and ask about the camera as he was thinking of getting one and he was rather put out when I showed him it was just a light.

The close passes caught on camera are almost invariably from bike-mounted cameras which are much harder to spot especially from a car. Having a big cylindrical object on the helmet is obvious. You notice it on motorcyclists too, a lot have square Go-Pro type cameras mounted on one side of their helmet which again is very obvious.

tykeboy2003

Postby tykeboy2003 » 6 Jan 2021, 8:51am

Just cough at them....

james01

Postby james01 » 6 Jan 2021, 10:05am

When my kids were little I regularly used a child-seat on the back of the bike. I've never experienced such wide passes - in fact I was sometimes the cause of embarrassing tailbacks when a particularly nervous driver (usually female) was terrified of passing. Years later and it's still tempting to carry a dummy baby on some of the busiest roads around here!