Two metre clearance

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
thirdcrank

Re: Two metre clearance

Post by thirdcrank »

I remember two things about water from my days at Castleton Primary School in Leeds almost 70 years ago.

The first was that the ancient Egyptians used a contraption called a shadouf to irrigate their crops with water from the Nile

shadouf.jpg

The other that the Romans protected their long, straight roads from water damage by shaping their surface in a camber. The latter is a skill lost among highwaymen in Leeds
ChrisP100

Post by ChrisP100 »

mjr wrote:
ChrisP100 wrote:it is guaranteed that when it rains there will be standing water both on the path and the edge of the carriage way,

And what have the highways department said when you've reported it? Norfolk Highways seem to detest standing water and usually (but not always) act quickly to clear the drains.

Lincolnshire County Council have said they are 'investigating', but I'm not entirely sure what that means. The road surface is designed to drain onto the verge at either side, so there are no actual surface drains that could be cleared.
mjr

Post by mjr »

ChrisP100 wrote:
mjr wrote:
ChrisP100 wrote:it is guaranteed that when it rains there will be standing water both on the path and the edge of the carriage way,

And what have the highways department said when you've reported it? Norfolk Highways seem to detest standing water and usually (but not always) act quickly to clear the drains.

Lincolnshire County Council have said they are 'investigating', but I'm not entirely sure what that means. The road surface is designed to drain onto the verge at either side, so there are no actual surface drains that could be cleared.

It could mean anything from waiting for an officer to go look to trying to figure out what repair might work... but Lincolnshire :( :( :( Terrible place to cycle, mostly, at least in terms of government support for it. Sure, there are pretty bits, but the roads are awfully dodgy, most of its cycleways worse and I am not yet convinced Lincs highways department would know a bicycle if dropped onto one. And all they need do is visit neighbouring Cambridgeshire and copy!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

thirdcrank wrote:highwaymen in Leeds

I know that Leeds has a crime problem, but highwaymen?
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

prestavalve wrote:When I took my kid to nursery on the back of my bike in Malaysia, people used to draw up next to me at lights and berate me from the comfort of their MPV about how dangerous it was to ride with a child and how irresponsible I was being. Then they'd tear off at twice the speed limit and overtake without signalling.

Technically they were correct, but in a deeply ironic way.

I'd say technically incorrect. The riposte of a London cyclist who had 'You'll get that child killed' shouted at him from a car window is still one of my favourites he simply said:

No I won't, I'm perfectly safe, it's only if you do something stupid that my child is in any danger
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

mjr wrote:

Not where I am in Norfolk! There's a road (which I now avoid) where there has been standing water for the last 6 years - it only gets dry during Summer. I've reported it a number of times, and nothing seems to be done.
mjr

Post by mjr »

fastpedaller wrote:
mjr wrote:

Not where I am in Norfolk! There's a road (which I now avoid) where there has been standing water for the last 6 years - it only gets dry during Summer. I've reported it a number of times, and nothing seems to be done.

Maybe it's only West Area Office. I guess if it gets left wet here, the sea will soon reclaim it ;)

Your next step is to let the appropriate county councillor know that their division is being neglected. www.WriteToThem.com
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.