Roads and cyclepaths with appropriate names

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
simonineaston

Re: Roads and cyclepaths with appropriate names

Post by simonineaston »

It doesn't take long, mind...
photo of street name
photo of street name
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

simonineaston wrote:It doesn't take long, mind...42a65734f1666dc8e8a0767302a11db7.jpg

clearly a testament to the local time triallists!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Wheely Down Road, near me on the South Downs, is a popular cycling route - a wonderful fast descent off the hilltops into the Meon valley. I have not attempted to wheelie down Wheely Down.
DaveGos

Post by DaveGos »

I know of two roads named after local cyclists, Hugh Porter Way , Wolverhampton leads to the Aldersley Cycle Track, Bufton Close in Telford is named after Graham Bufton
Ray

Post by Ray »

There's the Beryl Burton Cycleway in Harrogate, of course.
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
Ray

Post by Ray »

Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
FatBat

Post by FatBat »

Here in Huddersfield, there is a Tandem Way, which leads to the Tandem Industrial Park.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

On my walk today (i'm awaiting delivery of a new wheel to get back on the bike :( ), i passed The Ride which runs off Champion Road in the Warmley Brook area of east Brizzle. :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
skelo

Post by skelo »

prestavalve wrote:There a housing development around York called "Tandem Place".

there is also Cycle Street, off Hull Road (not the bike shop) :lol:
backnotes

Post by backnotes »

3F629467-14F2-4F75-8D60-04B0ACE0F202.jpeg

in Newmarket.
Ray

Post by Ray »

There's a Lenton Boulevard in Nottingham - and I've an idea there are others of that ilk (Raleigh Street?). Locals will no doubt know - it's nearly 50 yrs since I lived in the town.
Ray
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Ray wrote:There's a Lenton Boulevard in Nottingham - and I've an idea there are others of that ilk (Raleigh Street?). Locals will no doubt know - it's nearly 50 yrs since I lived in the town.

Didn't the street name come first in that case, though? Raleigh named their Lenton cycles after the road their factory was on.
Ray

Post by Ray »

AndyK wrote:
Ray wrote:There's a Lenton Boulevard in Nottingham - and I've an idea there are others of that ilk (Raleigh Street?). Locals will no doubt know - it's nearly 50 yrs since I lived in the town.

Didn't the street name come first in that case, though? Raleigh named their Lenton cycles after the road their factory was on.

Didn't know that, thanks. I guess there must be other bikes named after places (Ventoux, Tourmalet etc. ??), but not many named after an urban road - even if it has the status of 'Boulevard'!
Ray
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It seems Lenton was the name of a village swept up by the urban spread of Nottingham in the 1880s.

I found this explanation of the origin of Nottingham's boulevards interesting, although I cannot vouch for its accuracy.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/his ... ham-187016
the dark lord

Re: Cycle Lane

Post by the dark lord »

ferrit worrier wrote:There is an " Every St " round the back of Piccadilly Station in Manchester . cycle down it and you could claim to have cycled down Every Street in Manchester. :lol:

There is an Every Street in Bury too.

The local tip is on Every Street, leading to the mildly amusing question and answer "Where is the tip in Bury?"... "On Every Street"

Anyway, back in track there is a Louison Bobet cycleway in Quiberon.
Last edited by the dark lord on 4 Feb 2021, 10:17pm, edited 1 time in total.