Egg’d

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
markjohnobrien

Re: Egg’d

Post by markjohnobrien »

fastpedaller wrote:A clubmate was 'squirted by windscreen washer' repeatedly by the occupants of a vehicle whilst he was in a queue approaching traffic lights. The orange squash from his bottle through their window gave them back some of their own medicine! :lol:

Agree: well done your club mate.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

thirdcrank wrote:For anybody on the receiving end of this AND has definitely got the correct reg for the vehicle AND who wants something done about this for the benefit of other riders AND who is prepared to attend court and give evidence if necessary BUT has not followed links above, then I urge them to report this pronto to the police for the area where the incident occurred. IMO, it's obvious that the best option is for the driver and their sidekicks to be traced and dealt with but there are various legal obstacles to this, as well as any perceived lack of enthusiasm in parts of the police and CPS.

IMO this falls squarely into the next best thing which is directed to the vehicle, which doesn't have the same legal rights as a driver. This is colloquially known as a section 59 Notice. The source of the police powers is set out here:-

59 Vehicles used in manner causing alarm, distress or annoyance

(1) Where a constable in uniform has reasonable grounds for believing that a motor vehicle is being used on any occasion in a manner which—

(a) contravenes section 3 or 34 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 (c. 52) (careless and inconsiderate driving and prohibition of off-road driving), and

(b) is causing, or is likely to cause, alarm, distress or annoyance to members of the public,he shall have the powers set out in subsection (3).

(2) A constable in uniform shall also have the powers set out in subsection (3) where he has reasonable grounds for believing that a motor vehicle has been used on any occasion in a manner falling within subsection (1).

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2002/30/section/59

In layman's terms, if there's a relevant incident reported to the police, they can issue a warning, even if the suspects cannot be identified and following a subsequent report or reports the vehicle can be seized. It's powerful stuff so it needs reports to be capable of being substantiated; pointless reporting with "I think you should know but I don't want to get involved."

As a practical point, I would say to anybody involved with something like this, make a really detailed note of everything while it's still fresh in your mind. Ensure the police know you have made the note. If the case did get to court and you were called to give evidence, then you would be entitled to refer to your notes to refresh your memory. Giving evidence is not intended to be a memory game. Camera footage of this sort of thing is invaluable.

Among the various threads there have been there's at least one with a letter from the nothingwecandoaboutit squad, with no reference to s 59. Don't be fobbed off.

Excellent advice - thank you.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Charco123

Post by Charco123 »

peetee wrote:
Charco123 wrote:[And I do think a lot of young people are bored and have nothing better to do

I know what you mean but that’s an unfortunate choose of words and to my mind only supports their actions. There’s a million things they could occupy their time with that wouldn’t involve assault, intimidation or damage. It’s no doubt amusing for them and it’s a sad fact that such behaviour usually brings more in the way of rewards among their peers than retribution from society.

Off course I don’t support there actions! I was the one who was eggd. What I am saying is during COVID people can’t do anything so young blokes have a laugh don’t they at my expense lol. Trust me I don’t agree with it I was 32 miles deep and did not find it funny!

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The victim was a motorcyclist rather than a cyclist in this case; he lost the sight of one eye

Man sentenced for blinding motorcyclist with egg in Wigston
Leicestershire Police said Connors was driving a car that was linked to several reports on egg throwing on the day Mr Toone was injured. .....

Leicestershire Police said a month earlier, Connors had also thrown eggs at a woman walking her dog in Whetstone, leaving her with facial swelling and eye pain...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-l ... e-56916809

Perhaps one thing to take from this is that this sort of nastiness is rarely a one-off. If you manage to get the reg details of a vehicle, it's well-worth reporting and no fobbing off.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

thirdcrank wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 5:23pm you manage to get the reg details of a vehicle, it's well-worth reporting and no fobbing off.
How can someone drive with a non genuine / false registration plate? "Nothing" happened, but it's the only occasion I've ever phoned 999 as it was clear there was a probability of being assaulted, the 999 operator remaining on the line for several minutes throughout the incident (2-3 weeks back). Enforcement agencies haven't found any trace of the registration plate (Nb. Therevwere no errors in taking the plate)
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

gbnz wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 8:11am
thirdcrank wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 5:23pm you manage to get the reg details of a vehicle, it's well-worth reporting and no fobbing off.
How can someone drive with a non genuine / false registration plate? "Nothing" happened, but it's the only occasion I've ever phoned 999 as it was clear there was a probability of being assaulted, the 999 operator remaining on the line for several minutes throughout the incident (2-3 weeks back). Enforcement agencies haven't found any trace of the registration plate (Nb. Therevwere no errors in taking the plate)
I think it's quite common for those inclined to criminal activities to have an extra set of illegal plates for the sole purpose of making it difficult to identify them later. Some years ago, our house was burgled & a farmer noted an unknown vehicle parked in a suspicious place. He took a photo of the vehicle. The perpetrator realised he was being observed & drove away. The farmer reported the incident to the police, and the police said the number plate was unknown. They said they would check number plate recognition data & other crime reports, but told us that he likely had a stash of illegal plates & wouldn't use the same one again.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

How can someone drive with a non genuine / false registration plate?
Dead easy: insufficient resources to attend reports, especially from automatic recognition systems (ANPR.) Once upon a time they were unreliable and easily evaded. That's no longer the case but the battle seems to be lost. eg There was an appeal recently on the BBC www after a van clocked by a speed camera some six weeks previously had been revealed to have dodgy plates something incorporating ROGUE which seems like two fingers being raised. If the authorities treat dodgy plates as a minor technicality, rather than potentially a part of something much more serious, then the value of the system vehicle registration is diminished.
==============================================================================================
Here's the ROGUE vehicle police appeal.
Dated: 27 April 2021 08:11:19
Officers in Barnsley need your help to trace the owner of van, and have today (27 April) released a CCTV image. It is reported that on 10 March 2021, a red Mercedes van which has a distinctive black bonnet was recorded travelling through Midhopestones, Barnsley at 53mph in a 40mph zone. The van was also displaying number plate R800GUE which is unregistered. Officers have now released this image as they are keen to trace the owner. Do you recognise this van? Do you know who drives it? Do you have any information that might help our investigation? If you can help, please call 101 quoting crime reference number 359 of 26 April
https://southyorks.police.uk/find-out/n ... -this-van/
Last edited by thirdcrank on 29 Apr 2021, 10:22am, edited 1 time in total.
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

As an aside, Mrs KTHS and I are in the market, so to speak for a small campervan/motorhome. Being somewhat suspicious of seller descriptions I check the number plate on the vehicle advertised (if present) against the MOT record of said vehicle on line. On more than one occasion the number plate in the photograph of the vehicle has flagged as being "not known" by the DVLA. So, either a ploy by the seller to prevent potential purchasers checking MOT history or a dodgy vehicle full stop.
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Vorpal wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 8:48am
I think it's quite common for those inclined to criminal activities to have an extra set of illegal plates for the sole purpose of making it difficult to identify them later.
I've had to deal with individuals involved in criminal activities in the past via employment roles, so fully understand the above. But thirdcrank refers to ANPR's etc and have to admit that without even thinking about it, I'd always assumed in the 21st century that it was now impossible to get around such systems :oops:
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

One problem with any system is credibility - and remember with the criminal law that you don't have to introduce much doubt before a case is lost. eg: The DVLC was originally a joke, so "Cardiff" had such a poor reputation that the baddies could use it as an excuse. In the early days, ANPR was at development stage and gave more false alarms than genuine alerts. Various measures have been taken to tighten things up like the DVLA is much better (apart from the pandemic) the regulations on the style of reg plates and their supply have been tightened up but all these have coincided with the collapse of traffic policing. If you drove a return LEJOG displaying the reg MICKEY MOUSE it would be pure bad luck if you were nicked. I'm not saying cases are not detected and dealt with, just that while all this may impress the bourgeoisie and bring out the "have you nothing better to do with your time" if they are pulled up for a non-compliant plate, but I am saying the system is failing in its intended purpose.

(Some time ago irc linked some figures on ANPR alerts which went uninvestigated.)
awavey

Post by awavey »

one problem may also be its chucking out so many positives the police dont have the time to focus on doing anything with it, and yeah treat it as a technicality rather than indicating something they should be investigating.

I know I read about a review of a county lines operation several police forces were involved in, and they highlighted even though there were vehicles theyd identified of interest that they wanted to track on the roads network across the country, and the ANPR network was busy flagging away these vehicles for them, they actually ignored the data, and werent even sharing the info between the different forces to draw a picture of where these vehicles were moving between, and they were specifically supposed to be looking for them.
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

Charco123 wrote: 26 Jan 2021, 1:41am Reading some of these that mention air guns makes my blood boil! Such ***** move to do to someone just because they at the side of a road! Isn’t it funny how it’s always young lads too! What happens to us when we get older do we get boring or just nicer Image I don’t know lol!!!! And I ordered a camera today after abit of research I went for crosstour which is like a go pro but just cheaper it’s amazing what technology you can buy these days for peanuts! So if it happens again I will be have footage for the old bill! Plus if it happens again I might be a right sado and make an account on youtube and any falil play il post it on there! I know if it was me being a **** I wouldn’t want it posted on the internet so it’s one way of getting back ******* ImageImageImageImage

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
If I’m not mistaken (and assuming the law hasn’t changed recently), misuse of an air rifle or pistol as described by several folk above, constitutes a firearms offence, which is absolute and carries a 6 year jail term. The police should treat any such report accordingly.