Egg’d

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
ChrisP100

Re: Egg’d

Post by ChrisP100 »

I got shot at with an air pistol by a group of young scalawags whilst i was in my car. The pellet hit the windscreen right in my eye line and bulseyed the screen.

They were in the car coming towards me on a single carriageway B-Road, and the kid who fired the pistol was hanging out of the back window. Before I'd realised what had happened the car was gone, and I never had chance to get the reg number. I contacted the police about 30 minutes later, but they said without a description (other than silver Saxo) and reg number they couldn't really do anything, and 'it could have been a stone chip...', and that they were probably long gone anyway. I know it wasn't a stone chip because I found the pellet about a week later in the gutter under the bonnet.
Invicta Tourist

Post by Invicta Tourist »

About 20 years ago, I was cycling home at around 10pm after working on a later shift. A car drove by with some noisy Yahoos inside. One threw a bottle of beer/lager towards me, then the car sped off.

Luckily the bottle missed me, but the beer came in contact with the jacket I was wearing at the time.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

never had eggs but during a tandem tt near Lincoln we were accosted by a dead rabbit being waved out of a Landy :D

The screen washer thing - well i've had quite a few times but how could you prove it wasn't accidental as they were 'cleaning their screen'? A few years ago there was a spate of firework throwing and i've had bottles/cans/snowballs aimed my way at different times (a snowball in the face is potentially lethal)

Please do tell us where the incident was and vehicle type / colour so that others in your area are aware.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Maybe the egg thing is a passing fad. It was fairly common around here a few years ago. I even had one thrown at my house. Not heard of any recently.

In Australia they throw much bigger or harder objects at cyclists. Beer bottles and cans are used. I had a half full can just miss me, but got me with the spray. Given that the car was speeding past me, I presume the can was travelling quite fast as it whistled past my head. One of the few times I have been glad to be wearing a helmet. Also had a couple of other things thrown at me, eg half full small coke bottle. It seemed to be a sport for some locals. There was a worrying report in Melbourne of people going out on Sunday mornings driving alongside the cycle paths equipped with large water filled bottles to throw at cyclists. I think it was reported because someone was seriously injured or worse, but it was a few years ago and I can't remember the details now.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Can't remember anything being thrown at me, other than verbal abuse or blown horns!

That said, I'm aware I need to start toning down the response I've been developing over the past couple of years :oops: (Nb. I'm not remotely aggressive, but one side effect of 30 yr's weight lifting, swimming, gymming, managing large confrontational, operational workforce/enforcement situations, has led to me being a bit too blase when challenging those motorists at the next set of traffic lights :wink: )
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Once, and once only, I was got by students at end of term, in St Brieux. The weapon, a Supa-Soaka, the ammunition, shower gel... said students were cramming a knackered old 205 and doing everyone in range as they sped past. Can't say I blamed 'em, under the circ.s.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
lankysnapper

Post by lankysnapper »

A whole water melon sailing past my head and missing me by inches was probably the worst thing thrown at me from a car. I've been shot at by an airgun, luckily from a long distance, from so far away I could hear the flight of the pellets through the trees beside the path I was on. I've had several beer and soft drink cans thrown at me both whilst cycling and on foot. Probably, like a lot of folk on here, I have been commuting in urban areas for a long time but not sure this has got worse recently. The water melon incident was in the 80's. Shouting (why can you never hear what is being shouted?) and car horns I experience almost weekly. Just today a car drove past me and the usual "Waa yah yar you" or whatever rant was heard. Guess I need to start wearing the black tracksuit combo with my hood up to become inconspicuous!
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

lankysnapper wrote: Guess I need to start wearing the black tracksuit combo with my hood up to become inconspicuous!

That gives me an idea. We've all heard the debate about whether what you wear affects how other road users behave towards you. We could do a quick and dirty, statistically-insignificant straw poll on this one. As mentioned above, I've never had anything thrown at me (and that's in 40+ years during which my bike has always been my main form of local transport.) I've always dressed in 'civvy' clothes - i.e. no helmet, and if I were to walk into a pub, nobody would think I'd been on a bike.

What about others? Is there a pattern?
Charco123

Post by Charco123 »

Reading some of these that mention air guns makes my blood boil! Such ***** move to do to someone just because they at the side of a road! Isn’t it funny how it’s always young lads too! What happens to us when we get older do we get boring or just nicer [emoji23] I don’t know lol!!!! And I ordered a camera today after abit of research I went for crosstour which is like a go pro but just cheaper it’s amazing what technology you can buy these days for peanuts! So if it happens again I will be have footage for the old bill! Plus if it happens again I might be a right sado and make an account on youtube and any falil play il post it on there! I know if it was me being a **** I wouldn’t want it posted on the internet so it’s one way of getting back ******* [emoji1303][emoji1591][emoji1591][emoji1591]

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

I was egged by a passing car when riding, but many years ago when I was 14 or so, it hit me squarely on the thigh and it made me ride onto the wide, grassy verge where I fell off. My mum told the village policeman (this was in the days when village policemen still existed) who did precisely nothing.

More interestingly a spate of local petty thefts (including a few power tools from my Dad's garage) turned out to be have been committed by his teenage son... the copper was moved fairly sharply after that(!).
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

A while back when I used to race K2 kayaks we had the same from footbridges. My ex services paddling partner took exception, chased them down and threw one in the river. I know it was totally wrong but instant karma is a joy to behold.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I was once riding home from work in the bleak midwinter and a couple of teenagers snowballing at the roadside directed their aim at me. I was annoyed enough to catch them and put the wind up them but there's nothing sinister in snowballs when it's snowy. Among other things, I've been on the receiving end of stones being thrown by a car's passengers, a pellet fired by the driver of a car, and a wound across my back inflicted by the passenger in a van using a sort of heavy wire flail. IMO, The sinister thing here is the element of preparation: chucking burning fag-ends/ an empty drinks can etc., out of a car may just be inconsiderate littering, but normal people don't drive around with the weapons ready. IMO, Another sign of intent is when the driver manoeuvres the vehicle to facilitate the passenger's / passengers' antics.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

roberts8 wrote:A while back when I used to race K2 kayaks we had the same from footbridges. My ex services paddling partner took exception, chased them down and threw one in the river. I know it was totally wrong but instant karma is a joy to behold.

When sailing in the sea but close to rocks or a pier I have had fishermen casting very close to the boat.
One miscalculated and his tackle caught in our rigging so he lost it. Oh dear.
A lead weight could do considerable damage to a person.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I was once riding in a bus that was egged.
Isuppose an egg makes a good missile. It is a nice palm sized weight to throw and explodes on impact in a satisfying way.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Some of this is not unusual, over the years I have had beer cans (local agri show was on at the time), soil sod (gardeners van),a air rifle pellet shot at me (as did 10 other pariticipants in a time trial and the police had a fair idea of the culprits but no evidence) and been slapped on the bottom. The latter I got the registration, the gardener's vehicle was unmarked white van but I knew it was cos I had seen them working at a nearby pub I had passed 15-20 mins earlier, the beer cans were mostly 20 ish years ago before we even considered having cameras.

The Police took the soil sod and the smack fairly seriously for the latter I did get a reg but no witnesses, they were pulled in and questioned (there had been 4 in the car) but all 'innocently' claimed not to have seen any of them do anything..... I would suggest if you are to get photo evidence you probably need 2 cameras a rear and forward one to try to get the full incident.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells