Egg’d

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Charco123

Egg’d

Post by Charco123 »

Lol so a very odd subject for this forum [emoji23] not sure if it’s a first tho!!!! I have been riding 5 days a week, mainly nights for nearly 3 months now!!! And Iv been eggd by young lads in there cars twice now [emoji23][emoji1303] cheers lads!!! Is this something that I should start getting use to! Wanted to know what other people experiences have been and how often. <Swearing removed>

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
DevonDamo

Re: Egg’d

Post by DevonDamo »

Charco123 wrote:Lol so a very odd subject for this forum [emoji23] not sure if it’s a first tho!!!! I have been riding 5 days a week, mainly nights for nearly 3 months now!!! And Iv been eggd by young lads in there cars twice now [emoji23][emoji1303] cheers lads!!! Is this something that I should start getting use to! Wanted to know what other people experiences have been and how often.

I've never had anything thrown at me, but on a couple of occasions had some youngsters of that age screaming out of the window as they go past - i.e. teenagers having a laugh.

If you've had things thrown at you twice in 3 months, you've got a local problem, either with specific kids or a local a car 'enthusiast' group . If it were me, I'd consider fitting a camera to you or the bike to get evidence to pass on to the police. If you go down that route, sod's law says you won't have the camera on or running when you need it, so if you can get one which starts automatically and is always on the bike, that would help. (I've not felt the need for a camera on my bike so far, so can't help you with the technicalities of how you do it.)
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

We were once egg'd from the top of a double decker bus whilst on our tandem. The driver saw it and stopped, refusing to continue until the lads disembarked.

I went upstairs to talk to them but got nothing but blank denials. We left the bus parked up with the driver in a stand-off with the kids who wouldn't get off.

Having worked in rough Youth Clubs for many years since then, I think my response these days would be different.

I've learned that laughing it off (possibly congratulating them on their excellent aim) would be have been a better way of defusing the situation and would have left the lads with some of their tenuous self esteem still intact.

However, I acknowledge that this is easier said than done.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

A clubmate was 'squirted by windscreen washer' repeatedly by the occupants of a vehicle whilst he was in a queue approaching traffic lights. The orange squash from his bottle through their window gave them back some of their own medicine! :lol:
rjb

Post by rjb »

It'll soon be Easter so ask them for chocolate ones. :lol:
If you manage to remember the number plate report it to the authorities. They keep a record in case they need it in the future.
Last edited by rjb on 24 Jan 2021, 1:27pm, edited 1 time in total.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

This type of thing is one of my numerous hobby horses. Over the years I've frequently posted about it - search on <bullying>

Here's a fairly recent thread about eggs being thrown.

viewtopic.php?p=1355683#p1355683
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

The only interaction I’ve had ‘wiv yoofs’ when cycling was a group shouting out ‘cool bike’ when we cycled past them - at 65 made my day :-)
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

Couple of years ago grinding up A470 above Dinas Mawddwy, 4 yufs going past in battered old fiesta, hurling abuse and Muck Donalds paraphernalia out of car. Couple of miles or so later on, said fiesta in lay by leaking lots of liquid. Yuf "Have you got a phone mate" my reply "yes" and carried on cycling. Instant Karma.
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
rjb

Post by rjb »

You missed an opportunity there. You should have pointed down the road to the non existent telephone box and told them it's just down the hill mate. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

rjb wrote:You missed an opportunity there. You should have pointed down the road to the non existent telephone box and told them it's just down the hill mate. :lol:

I can remember a phone there when I was a said yuf myself. I hasten to add that was just after the late King died.
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Cycling in London back in 2003, I had a balloon full of water thrown at me from the top floor window of a house.
Fortunately, it missed (landing a couple of metres in front of me). When I stopped and looked upwards, I could
see some twitching curtains, obviously the culprit(s) were hiding behind them. I was very lucky indeed.
Charco123

Post by Charco123 »

Thanks for the response guys I did report it this evening actually. I did hear a women at the co op saying she had it done to her to so I think it could be bored kids due to this lockdown. I’m on alert now so if it happens il be taking note of the plate reg and contacting police straight away. Don’t want to waste police time but can’t have this going on all the time!

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

@Charco123, whereabouts did the incident take place?
CathM

Post by CathM »

Several years ago I had an egg thrown at me from a car window while cycling along the A6 towards Manchester - I think it was somewhere near Whaley Bridge. I remember being annoyed most of all about the waste of a perfectly good egg. On another occasion I had barbecue sauce squirted at me; I stank all the way home! No harm done - the stain on my jacket washed out eventually - but it might have been a different story if it had landed in my eyes.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

For anybody on the receiving end of this AND has definitely got the correct reg for the vehicle AND who wants something done about this for the benefit of other riders AND who is prepared to attend court and give evidence if necessary BUT has not followed links above, then I urge them to report this pronto to the police for the area where the incident occurred. IMO, it's obvious that the best option is for the driver and their sidekicks to be traced and dealt with but there are various legal obstacles to this, as well as any perceived lack of enthusiasm in parts of the police and CPS.

IMO this falls squarely into the next best thing which is directed to the vehicle, which doesn't have the same legal rights as a driver. This is colloquially known as a section 59 Notice. The source of the police powers is set out here:-

59 Vehicles used in manner causing alarm, distress or annoyance

(1) Where a constable in uniform has reasonable grounds for believing that a motor vehicle is being used on any occasion in a manner which—

(a) contravenes section 3 or 34 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 (c. 52) (careless and inconsiderate driving and prohibition of off-road driving), and

(b) is causing, or is likely to cause, alarm, distress or annoyance to members of the public,he shall have the powers set out in subsection (3).

(2) A constable in uniform shall also have the powers set out in subsection (3) where he has reasonable grounds for believing that a motor vehicle has been used on any occasion in a manner falling within subsection (1).

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2002/30/section/59

In layman's terms, if there's a relevant incident reported to the police, they can issue a warning, even if the suspects cannot be identified and following a subsequent report or reports the vehicle can be seized. It's powerful stuff so it needs reports to be capable of being substantiated; pointless reporting with "I think you should know but I don't want to get involved."

As a practical point, I would say to anybody involved with something like this, make a really detailed note of everything while it's still fresh in your mind. Ensure the police know you have made the note. If the case did get to court and you were called to give evidence, then you would be entitled to refer to your notes to refresh your memory. Giving evidence is not intended to be a memory game. Camera footage of this sort of thing is invaluable.

Among the various threads there have been there's at least one with a letter from the nothingwecandoaboutit squad, with no reference to s 59. Don't be fobbed off.