Everesting end of February...

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
CliveyT

Re: Everesting end of February...

Post by CliveyT »

thirdcrank wrote:
In short up and down tracks - or rather down and up - would be a change from track riders going round and round.

I don't know- surely you can Everest in a velodrome? You just need a line on the banking that you have to go above each circuit. You could then have the longest pursuit race in the world. keeping the crowd cheering throughout could be a challenge.

I wonder if anyone's ever Everested on a track bike? The descents could be 'interesting'
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I think GCN did a thing on "how far can you climb in an hour" and one of them had the bright idea of riding up both sides of a valley, so they started at the bottom, rode up one way, then turned around and flew past the starting point and straight back up the other side, then turned round at the top...

That meant that they never had to stop from speed to turn around - and was quite effective.
I can't be bothered to look up the "rules" on everesting to see if that's a valid strategy.

I did swim Everest once though - 8850m took me just shy of three hours (Although we think I actually did 8900) and I did butterfly for the last length...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Which do we think could be done quicker?
Everesting-
Walking
Running
Or cycling?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Why wouldn't that be cycling? Are there any on-road records that are quicker for walking or running?

Jonathan
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
But we are talking about cycling aren't we.
The trouble with cycling is the steeper the hill the more difficult it is to balance.
Certainly on a long steep Hill an average walker could probably out pace a serious cyclist?
So you end up having to get off when you start to tire and slow.
Running is similarly so because it's very difficult Not to end up walking.
Walking you straighten your legs And keep 1 foot on the ground all the time, Running you are airborne part of the time.
That's why running is so difficult as many long distance runners end up or tend to fall into a style of jogging, once you bend your legs when you land on the ground things become very difficult indeed, unlike Walkin which you can do without tiring so much over a long period of time.
I'm not the only one who was less fit than a particular cyclist who was struggling to catch me up a very steep Hill I was walking.
You can certainly walk up a hill much steeper than you could cycle up for any length of time?
Of course the practicalities are you need to get down to the bottom as well!
That's why I asked a question
If you intend to run then you should walk when you start to tire and one foot is always on the ground, (Just try walking with Bent legs?) and certainly walk up the hills.
when a slope gets too steep when you walk you end up having to use just the balls of your feet.
What you should do of course is try and keep your foot flat on the ground when you or foot first lands, otherwise your calf muscles will bind up.
Have you ever tried running up a steep Hill?
when the hill gets so steep you can no longer land on the flat of your foot, this then then becomes almost impossible to maintain.

Remember its Climbing not mileage!
To be fair you would also need to be carrying a pushbike weight on your back too For walking and running
There is a 30% hill very near where I live.
I could go out there and walk up it and down several times, then I could repeat on my bike.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"Energetics of vertical kilometer foot races; is steeper cheaper?"
https://journals.physiology.org/doi/pdf/10.1152/japplphysiol.00546.2015

Jonathan
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Looks like an interesting bit of research, but didn't look at cycling, which has a potential disconnect between "stride" length and frequency (in that gearing changes the relationship between the two) which doesn't exist when walking/running.

So you could take a higher frequency of stride at the same pace as a runner without the strides becoming untenably short.
That's an interesting factor which I have no idea the net result. In general though cycling at low power is more efficient than walking/running, I don't particularly see why that would drastically change with an incline, assuming gearing was low enough (and an appropriate number of wheels :p )
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
RickH

Post by RickH »

A new Everesting record has just been set.

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/03/ronan-m ... 0-minutes/

[Ronan Mc Laughlin] climbed the necessary 8,848 metres (29,029 feet) in a blisteringly fast time of 6:40:54, almost 20 minutes faster than the previous world record of 6:59:38 set by America’s Sean Gardner on October 3, 2020.

This isn’t the first time Mc Laughlin has broken the Everesting record by a considerable margin. In July 2020 the former-semi-pro-racer-and-coach-turned-tech-writer climbed the height of Mt. Everest in 7:04:41 – more than 20 minutes faster than the previous record, set by none other than six-time Grand Tour winner Alberto Contador.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.