Everesting end of February...

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
djrikki

Everesting end of February...

Post by djrikki »

Never thought I'd sign myself up for an everesting challenge... the mere thought of doing this doesn't fill me with excitement!

All my rides tend to be circuit rides, I barely ever ride a substantial amount of the same way home during any given ride.

It got me thinking, and I don't really know of a catchy name for it... has anyone ever ridden an Everesting Circuit? Aka Everesting up a set of hills or over a course? How did that go? Sounds like it could be more appealing to me... I understand keeping the mileage down might be the issue. :lol:
mattsccm

Re: Everesting end of February...

Post by mattsccm »

To be honest I have always thought that the current Everest idea is a bit of a cop out. Hard of course but repeating a hill is not the idea of Everest. Surely it would be far more rewarding to do 8000+ metres with no repeats. Somewhat harder I would say and probably nearly impossible anywhere without significant hill climbs. Alpine stuff really. Possibly that's why the easy way out was chosen. :D

In the mid 80's a group of us at college used to go for half Everest rides. I guess we thought of a full Everest hence the name but never did one.
PH

Post by PH »

djrikki wrote:It got me thinking, and I don't really know of a catchy name for it... has anyone ever ridden an Everesting Circuit? Aka Everesting up a set of hills or over a course? How did that go? Sounds like it could be more appealing to me... I understand keeping the mileage down might be the issue. :lol:

You can make up any challenge you fancy, but Everesting as it's become recognised doesn't include what you are suggesting
https://everesting.cc/
gaz

Post by gaz »

djrikki wrote:... has anyone ever ridden an Everesting Circuit?

Everesting.

There's always Arrarating as an alternative.
NA.png
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

29,000ft?

Just normal riding round here produces 100ft per mile, so it would take me 290miles to do it. I was doing 100miles a week up until mid-last year, so it would take me two weeks of normal riding.
Mick F. Cornwall
peetee

Post by peetee »

The most suitable hill round here has an elevation of 75m so I would have to climb it 118 times. That’s the sort of mind numbing endurance challenge I’d like to have a go at
The repetitive nature of it doesn’t phase me, I did do a fair bit of lane swimming, once upon a time, and thought that would be boring but often did over 100 reps without nodding off. The hill has an ideal turn-around point top and bottom, an even gradient in between and a nice view of the harbour and sea on the way down. The only issue as I see it is that with an estimated lap time of 10 mins I would be on the bike for over 19 hours and I struggle to ride comfortably for more than 4 at the moment.
I know this challenge can be split into separate attempts but that seems like half a job to me.
I’d really like to be in a position to consider this as this years challenge before spring has sprung.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
PH

Post by PH »

peetee wrote:I know this challenge can be split into separate attempts but that seems like half a job to me.

Yours could be, but the Everesting Challenge linked above, is a single ride, the definition of that being no sleep!
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
One of my local rides is "Ben Nevising" :)
Over 28 miles, so about 190 miles, possible two days, gives me something to do when the weather gets better..............
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
peetee

Post by peetee »

PH wrote:
peetee wrote:I know this challenge can be split into separate attempts but that seems like half a job to me.

Yours could be, but the Everesting Challenge linked above, is a single ride, the definition of that being no sleep!

I think you got the wrong end of the stick. I totally agree that it should be one ride. My regular rides are around 900m of climbing in less than 30 miles so adding those up for the glory of an Everesting certificate, or whatever you get, is just cheating and no achievement at all.
PH

Post by PH »

peetee wrote:
PH wrote:

I think you got the wrong end of the stick. I totally agree that it should be one ride. My regular rides are around 900m of climbing in less than 30 miles so adding those up for the glory of an Everesting certificate, or whatever you get, is just cheating and no achievement at all.

I'm sorry if that's the case, but you haven't said how I've misunderstood :?
I know this challenge can be split into separate attempts

What challenge are you referring to? The Everesting Challenge can not.
peetee

Post by peetee »

Hmmm, I bow to your greater knowledge sir.
I must admit I hadn’t ever read up on the official rules but only heard what others had said about it. Clearly my informants are unreliable. I will ensure they are ‘retired’ in due course.
PH

Post by PH »

peetee wrote:Hmmm, I bow to your greater knowledge sir.
I must admit I hadn’t ever read up on the official rules but only heard what others had said about it. Clearly my informants are unreliable. I will ensure they are ‘retired’ in due course.

Ha! I did refer to the link above...
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

A bit of mental arithmetic suggests that this would involve something like climbing Cragg Vale some 30 times. That would make the climbing mileage something like 165+ . Doable in a long day for somebody fit enough and who could turn their mind to something other than "Why am I doing this?" I fancy the main advantages are that it's a long drag with no silly gradients and it's a fairly straightforward descent where no time would be wasted between climbs.

E&OE excepted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cragg_Vale#Current_day
peetee

Post by peetee »

PH wrote:
peetee wrote:Hmmm, I bow to your greater knowledge sir.

Ha! I did refer to the link above...

D’oh ! Sorry, totally missed that. I think I must have dismissed it as a signature without reading it. :oops:
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Up and down a hill makes sense. Cycling on the flat is unproductive........but would allow recovery and keep you ticking over at the right rate to tackle the climb without your HR dropping off?
There must be a formula to ascertain what the hill gradient would be, too steep and you will be walking before long :P
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.