Challenging Road Surface Today

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Pebble

Challenging Road Surface Today

Post by Pebble »

Ice covered in hawthorne clippings :D
couldn't quite believe my luck

There was other bits where I could rather excitingly ride up the streams
DaveGos

Re: Challenging Road Surface Today

Post by DaveGos »

Much better than the road surfaces around me , there is a surface, where is the grasss in the middle of the lane, cant see a pothole,not flooded for 50 yards, I can see tarmac. Ice melts
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Being on ice watch is part and parcel of riding at this time of year. I’m getting too old for it. I just won’t go out if there’s ice or risk of Ice anymore. Losing weeks because of an ‘oops’ on a bit of ice, is not enjoyable.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Exciting! I can't tell for sure from the top photo if that's ice or unfrozen tarmac in the middle of the lane. Either way, I'd probably have walked that section (on the grass).
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

1st pic is a nbit bothersome, look slike the centre channel of exposed tarmac ends a bit further up, did you have to dismount at that point or was it slush that you could ride through? The channel on the left is plenty wide enough, the water in itself isn't a massive deal unless you're having to go up a steep incline.
I've often taken to the grass on the way down the hill to the shops after it's snowed, even with slicks it's doable, tried the riding/sliding down on compacted snow thing, even with one foot out as an outrigger I ended up battering my glute :lol: I really should just get the MTB out when it's like that but once you're on roads that have been cleared you make so much more progress and make up any time you might have lost by been on road tyres been an awful lt more careful or even dismounting.

Luckily in most of England we don't get too many days of really bad weather that it's too dodgy or just too unpleasant to be out, sometimes going out when it is a bit challenging is part of the fun, but there's a balance to be had.
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

You must have better overshoes than me to out in that. My toes are cold just looking at the pictures.
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
ChrisP100

Post by ChrisP100 »

Fair play riding on that. :shock:

My commute is on (generally) decent roads, The worst bits for me are always the the first 100m and the last 600m.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Yeap too icey!

I went out for a run instead for greater impact and less miserable.

I expect my bikes will be garaged for at least a week looking at the forecast!

Cheers James
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

The utility cyclist wrote:1st pic is a nbit bothersome, look slike the centre channel of exposed tarmac ends a bit further up, did you have to dismount at that point or was it slush that you could ride through? The channel on the left is plenty wide enough, the water in itself isn't a massive deal unless you're having to go up a steep incline.
I've often taken to the grass on the way down the hill to the shops after it's snowed, even with slicks it's doable, tried the riding/sliding down on compacted snow thing, even with one foot out as an outrigger I ended up battering my glute :lol: I really should just get the MTB out when it's like that but once you're on roads that have been cleared you make so much more progress and make up any time you might have lost by been on road tyres been an awful lt more careful or even dismounting.

Luckily in most of England we don't get too many days of really bad weather that it's too dodgy or just too unpleasant to be out, sometimes going out when it is a bit challenging is part of the fun, but there's a balance to be had.

No it was solid ice, no chance of riding on it, could hardly even walk on it. I had expected this road to be like this, it is one of these minor cross border routes that may have never seen a gritter on the English side, and the scottish gritters don't come one inch over that line. I have even seen them reverse up to the border so as not to waste any salt. Anyways it was just a couple of mile out of maybe thirty, a welcome diversion :D

It was seeing all the hedge clippings that made me laugh, two of the worst things to have on the road and here they were both together, May be with some bits of hawthorn embedded in my tyres I could have rode on the ice.

I love a bit of winter though and just love been out in the snow - today was just the ticket

Looking forward to tomorrow, may be a bit more blue sky and a little less of the blizzards. The bike has been deiced and is ready to roll :D