Recommended me a small Laptop Backpack

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
the dark lord

Recommended me a small Laptop Backpack

Post by the dark lord »

I'm going to need a relatively robust laptop bag soon to house a 16" or so laptop. New world means I'll red to carry it most days.

I'm going to need to get it around on the bike so will need a bag to suit. But many of the bags I have seen are far too big I need to carry the laptop and charger and at the most a few sheets of A4.

It'll be out in all weathers so would to be waterproof ish.

I currently stuff a laptop in an Alpkit Gourdon padded with a few jumpers. It's fine a couple of times a year but not for several times a week.

I draw bikes from a pool as well as several of my own so panniers are not an option.

Also I'm going to be able to have some input into the laptop itself. Ideally I'd like one of the rugged ones but I don't think the government's access to work budget will stretch to nearly 3k.

So I'm think of mandating an SSD rather than spinning disk, anything else i should consider?
hamster

Re: Recommended me a small Laptop Backpack

Post by hamster »

Crumpler make bags for cycling which I like. Also fit the PC into a padded sleeve. Good thought about an SSD for robustness.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I never use a backpack on the bike.

But the two smallest ones that I use for other purposes are:

Lowe Alpine Airzone Z20
Full-featured and well made.
https://rab.equipment/uk/lowe-alpine-airzone-z-20

Fjallraven Kånken (one of the three that we have at the moment... they just won't wear out)
https://www.fjallraven.com/uk/en-gb/bags-gear/kanken?gclid=CjwKCAiApNSABhAlEiwANuR9YBC7Pdg_T2mSVqe2YvvfhJoGfnSsYOFSjgGgHSQDYijKbuGCNnJlYBoCMc4QAvD_BwE

Jonathan
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

I raised a similar-ish question a while ago;

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=141426

I went for the Aiguille Alpine equipment 'mini midi' https://www.aiguillealpine.co.uk/produc ... -midi-15l/

Yes, it is rugged, robust, well made and has suffered no damage thus far in it's daily commuting role. The only thing against it really is the price!! I am usually quite frugal and in hindsight could probably have found something equally as durable for a lot less. Remember the web price doesn't include VAT, delivery or 'optional' extras. Nobody twisted my arm to buy it so I am not really complaining, and if it lasts me another 20 years I will see it as a wise purchase.

I think it may just swallow a 16" laptop OK (but not in the optional dedicated laptop sleeve).

Anyway, hope the link to the previous thread may throw up something of interest.

Cheers
the dark lord

Post by the dark lord »

Thanks guys... And I knew I'd read about it before just couldn't find it
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Laptop...

Do you need it at a couple of specific locations, or are you constantly on the move?

I would suggest that you'd struggle to get a laptop with a spinning disk nowadays anyway, but you really want a spare power brick (no need to cart that to the office and back) as well as a docking station (or appropriate USB-C dongle) for both home and office - allowing you to have peripherals at both connected easily.

If you are always in one of a couple of locations then you might be able to get a slightly smaller/lighter laptop, using external displays etc to more than make up the screen estate.

As for carrying it on the bike - A padded sleeve in a pannier has long been my preferred option.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
GeekDadZoid

Post by GeekDadZoid »

Whilst panniers would be my preference for any long journey I do carry my 14 inch laptop in this very well made bag on my new short commute of a couple of miles, makes the jump on and off time at each end much less. There are a few others selling them on eBay but I bought it from this guy, although it was a few £ less.

It has a waist strap so does not move around and avoids sweaty back in my experience.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHRIS-BOARDM ... Sw7ple26Hu
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Laptop weights seem to climb hard for every extra inch of screen... have you considered a smaller screen? The difference in weight between my 15" MBP and my 11" Air is considerable...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

GeekDadZoid wrote:Whilst panniers would be my preference for any long journey I do carry my 14 inch laptop in this very well made bag on my new short commute of a couple of miles, makes the jump on and off time at each end much less. There are a few others selling them on eBay but I bought it from this guy, although it was a few £ less.

It has a waist strap so does not move around and avoids sweaty back in my experience.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHRIS-BOARDM ... Sw7ple26Hu

A pannier should be pretty much grab and go, else it's not designed well. I used a briefcase style pannier that clipped onto the rail, and had a hook that held on lower down, so it literally dropped onto the rack with a satisfying click and you could lift it off using the handle, and pressing on the clip release with an extended finger.

It had a little rollup section that you could velcro down to cover the clip arrangement when off the bike.

I've probably still got it in the loft actually - took my MBP (15") to work and back for over a year, and the Lenovo before that for several years I think... (Can't actually remember when I bought it)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.