Cannondale or Specialized

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
emt15

Cannondale or Specialized

Post by emt15 »

I am looking to buy a Cannondale CAAD13 or Specialized Tarmac SL6 bike. Their specs are nearly identical so has anyone got an opinion on either of the brands?
Valbrona

Re: Cannondale or Specialized

Post by Valbrona »

Assuming the Specialized is carbon ... it wins outright.
I should coco.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Valbrona wrote:Assuming the Specialized is carbon ... it wins outright.

Why?

If you want the sharper handling bike then the CAAD13 would be considered to be slightly better from users overall views that I've been reading over the last 3 years, there's really not a heap load in it. I must admit from my use of high end alu to mid range carbon I'd rather have the alu frame.
Not tried either but seems to me as much as I love my conti pro level carbon bike, in the saddle and out it's lovely, being able to kit 40mph on the flat in a faux sprint it really does the business BUT in handling terms I'd still say the high end alu frame I had - Principia RS6 (also had a REX) was superior, same wheelset/kit, but that's just me.

Ultimately, go and ride both or you'll be left not knowing which suits you best.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I'd take the carbon tarmac as the caad 13 is somewhat delicate.

Where as the standard mod tsrmacy is likely to be a heavier layup than a high mod fact 10 tarmac.

Just my opinion btw

Cheers James
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

If the choice is between Spesh and Dale (as us hipsters might say) is the answer "There's a better value option that you should consider"? :lol:
Scottish.cyclist.lad

Post by Scottish.cyclist.lad »

emt15 wrote:I am looking to buy a Cannondale CAAD13 or Specialized Tarmac SL6 bike. Their specs are nearly identical so has anyone got an opinion on either of the brands?

if the specs are nearly identical then buy the cheaper one.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Poster hasn't returned to see the replies since they posted
Scottish.cyclist.lad

Post by Scottish.cyclist.lad »

you never know. maybe they have, but without logging in.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I don't you're correct
Bonzo Banana

Post by Bonzo Banana »

Should be pointed out both are just brands they don't have any manufacturing facilities themselves but instead buy from different factories in Asia. They may select the geometry and even style the bike but the real work is done by the manufacturer. I'm not super keen on either brand with regard value as there are just so many more parties involved who need to make a profit. I personally prefer the actual manufacturer's like Giant and Merida. A recent deal on hotukdeals I noticed was a 105 equipped Merida with a advanced 6066 frame with the bike having an overall weight of about 8kg at a price of £1000. That seemed great value in these pandemic times.

I think Cannondale have had a lot of frames made by fuji-ta in mainland China. Their advanced aluminium is 6069 which I think is the basis of the Caad13 so likely a fuji-ta frame assuming they are still using fuji-ta. A recent fuji-ta video still listed Cannondale as one of the brands they manufacture for and when they showed the factory floor on the video you could see they were making Specialized mountain bikes.

Again though its really the logistics of it both brands do a lot of sponsorship and marketing, all the logistical costs of going through local bike shops and then you have the fact they don't manufacture themselves equalling very poor value compared to direct sellers, shop brands or brands who manufacture themselves like Giant and Merida.

In the past the best way to get a great value Cannondale or Specialized was an end of season sale where perhaps you could get up to 40% off but bike shortages means even that isn't possible.

Also I'm not keen on either brand because of often a large degree of proprietary parts which can limit the lifespan of the bike as certain parts become unavailable or uneconomic to purchase for an older bike.

Some of the smaller brands have less proprietary parts so offer more customisation and a theoretical longer lifespan.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I went to my local Specialized Concept Store yesterday. They didn’t have a single road bike under £5000, so at the moment, I think you will have to take whatever bike you can get, and not be too fussy about colour and exact spec.

They hardly had any shoes or helmets either, which is what we went there to buy. Mrs A did manage to get some shoes, Spesh Torch for £90, but if she had needed a different size, she would have been looking at S-Works circa £300!
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Out of those two I’d have the Spesh. The hard bit will be finding one.
emt15

Post by emt15 »

Bonefishblues wrote: 15 Mar 2021, 3:40pm Poster hasn't returned to see the replies since they posted
Wrong. I did
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

emt15 wrote: 25 Apr 2021, 5:42pm
Bonefishblues wrote: 15 Mar 2021, 3:40pm Poster hasn't returned to see the replies since they posted
Wrong. I did
Which one did you decide on, out of interest?

BTW it's helpful to at least be seen to have at least logged onto the Forum for the benefit of those who were courteous enough to reply to your thread, even if you don't post a response to their posts - there are many people who do not return after an initial post. Saves you having to post like this, too ;)
emt15

Post by emt15 »

Bonefishblues wrote: 25 Apr 2021, 6:33pm
emt15 wrote: 25 Apr 2021, 5:42pm
Wrong. I did
Which one did you decide on, out of interest?

BTW it's helpful to at least be seen to have at least logged onto the Forum for the benefit of those who were courteous enough to reply to your thread, even if you don't post a response to their posts - there are many people who do not return after an initial post. Saves you having to post like this, too ;)
sorry I didnt post back. i got tired of looking at what is better so ended up getting spesh based purely on slightly better reviews.