New tyres

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
ChrisP100

New tyres

Post by ChrisP100 »

Given the weather forecast for next week (snow/ice) I've decided to swap out my well used Innova tyres http://www.innovatires.com/tire_serch.php?xPA=IA-2084 for some Schwalbe Silento's https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/road_tires/silento. The Innova tyres have been okay for commuting and they've still got a bit of life in them, but I need something with a bit more bite to get me through the slushy stuff over the next few weeks or so.

Hopefully they should do the trick. Shall report back after a week or so.
ChrisP100

Re: New tyres

Post by ChrisP100 »

Well... That slushy weather I prepared for hasn't hung around. It's positively tropical compared to last week.

After a week of using the new tyres, I',m pretty impressed. They've certainly got lots of grip, and are very good at clearing water. First ride out I ran them at around 40psi. The RR was noticeably more than my old tyres. Second ride I pumped them up to 50psi and they were much better.

Much more confidence on wet grass with theses tyres, with no loss of traction or wheel slip. I'm just easing myself in gently to see how much I can get away with banking in the turn, but so far, so good.
ChrisP100

Post by ChrisP100 »

Update on the Silento's

I've had them on the bike now for just over 2 months and I can't fault them.

My commute is a fairly wide mix of Road surfaces, from relatively smooth tarmac to fairly broken, rough tarmac, uphill and downhill. There is one particularly fast (65kph), long downhill section that floods when it rains (excess water run-off from farm land) which can be quite 'sporty'. I don't have any problems when banking round fast corners (although the first time I banked far enough to get the knobbly sidewall on the tarmac was interesting :wink: ).

I've not encountered any problem with grip on any surface, from smooth tarmac all the way up to wet grass including sections of loose gravel. Not tried them in the mud, but then I'm using them for road commuting so I wouldn't really expect to. I certainly don't feel like I've been anywhere near the limits of performance; never fearful of washout.

Rolling resistance is 'okay'. They are never going to be a fast tyre, but they're not designed to be. They are relatively lightweight, but they are robust and comfortable to ride on. In the 300 miles or so I've ridden on them the tread wear is what I'd expect; even and minimal. You can tell they've been used, but they don't look scrubbed.

Would certainly recommend them if anyone is considering replacing their tyres any time soon.
mjr

Post by mjr »

What size are you using?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
ChrisP100

Post by ChrisP100 »

mjr wrote:What size are you using?

Sorry; should have said.

26x1.75