An old bike at Tiree

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Grandad

An old bike at Tiree

Post by Grandad »

This is a photo in an article about Tiree in the current Scots Magazine

It's either a very old picture or a recent one of a well preserved Claud Butler mixte from the 1950s.

Brings back a memory from then of a teenage girl in the club who wanted a "proper" bike to replace her roadster. Her parents thought a man's bike, as diamond frames were considered to be, was not suitable for her and compromised with a mixte.
Paulatic

Re: An old bike at Tiree

Post by Paulatic »

It was taken May 2013.
Contributor: Robert Morris / Alamy Stock Photo
Image ID: E0406P File size: 40.6 MB (2.1 MB Compressed download) Dimensions: 3264 x 4352 px | 27.6 x 36.8 cm | 10.9 x 14.5 inches | 300dpi Releases: Model - no | Property - no Do I need a release?
Date taken: 30 May 2013 Location: Scarinish Harbour, Isle of Tiree, Inner Hebrides, Argyll and Bute, Scotland, UK
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Nice scene, I think that's possibly a late '70's to early '80's CB Majestique, the mens model was the Majestic in a similar gold or light metallic blue colour, I had the mens version, I don't know what year they had the extra brake levers on though, mine didn't have them in 1982.
Edit with picture from that year
This from the 1982 catalogue on nkilgarrif site.
http://www.nkilgariff.com/CBcats/Cat_82 ... stique.jpg
Last edited by colin54 on 10 Feb 2021, 4:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nu-Fogey
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Grandad wrote:It's either a very old picture or a recent one of a well preserved Claud Butler mixte from the 1950s.
Add 30 years. I'd say it is a Sovereign Lady from about 1980. Giveaways are the 531 fork blades (but not frame) and the equipment. Nevertheless, still nice to see these pictures appearing in magazines.

Edit - Colin, I think you are right, a Majestique. Zooming in on Grandad's picture I can now see the 531 frame sticker.
Last edited by tatanab on 10 Feb 2021, 5:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

colin54 wrote:Nice scene, I think that's possibly a late '70's to early '80's CB Majestique, the mens model was the Majestic in a similar gold or light metallic blue colour, I had the mens version, I don't know what year they had the extra brake levers on though, mine didn't have them in 1982.
Edit with picture from that year
This from the 1982 catalogue on nkilgarrif site.
http://www.nkilgariff.com/CBcats/Cat_82 ... stique.jpg

I remember when these Majestic bikes came out, Claud Butler had footballer Trevor Francis and his wife Helen promoting these in an advert. For some reason, it’s always stuck in my mind.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I've had to go online to check my memory. Claud Butler is reported to have gone bust around 1957 when the name was bought and sold by a series of different firms, each edging a bit further down market. CB himself died in 1978.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

thirdcrank wrote:I've had to go online to check my memory. Claud Butler is reported to have gone bust around 1957 when the name was bought and sold by a series of different firms, each edging a bit further down market. CB himself died in 1978.

His son used to be a member of the same Friends of the Earth local group as me, Mon ac Arfon. I was able to show his mother, Claud's widow, a swing ticket from an Falcon built Claud, bearing a facsimile of her husbands signature.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Bice

Post by Bice »

I had a Claude Butler mixte frame which was given to me by the car park security at work as it had been abandoned.

I used it as a commuter for a couple of years but broke the frame, but I liked it enough to replace with a Carlton mixte frame. They are both from the Seventies.

Very convenient for London commuting and shopping, as step-through is so much less effort than a cross bar. But the frame is flexy and I would not really trust it for a heavily laden tour. I broke the front fork of the Carlton in Parliament Square: still managed to ride home on it though. I use this bike must days.

I also managed to ride home on the Claude Butler, doing about four miles carefully with a very flexy bike. But it stayed together. Steel frames are so forgiving.

My Claude Butler:

And here is the break that did for it:

Daily: Carlton Courette 1982 mixte 42, 32, 22 x7
Van Nicholas Yukon titanium 50/34 10sp
Lazzaretti steel 1996 10sp 48/34
Trek 1.7 10sp 3x 2010;
Ciocc steel 1984 50/34x7
Marin Bolinas Ridge MTB c1995, 7x42, 34, 24
Scott Scale carbon MTB 27.5 inch
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Brings back a memory from then of a teenage girl in the club who wanted a "proper" bike to replace her roadster. Her parents thought a man's bike, as diamond frames were considered to be, was not suitable for her and compromised with a mixte

In 1989 I was in the market for a tourer, having sold my Fiat Panda... I was recommended a 19 1/2 in 'man's' frame bike as structurally better than a 'ladies' bike - looking back now my cycling life would have been very different if I had been pointed towards a mixte frame which actually fitted... couldn't reach both brakes at the same time! Still rode it for 20 years with dropped bars, didn't know any better! Much better once I got flat bars about 12 years ago. Even better I have a teeny tourer which actually fits.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin