Lockdown crowds!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
TrevA

Re: Lockdown crowds!

Post by TrevA »

I’m sticking firmly to roads, after an incident on a riverside path in the first lockdown. Trying to avoid pedestrians on the busy path, I strayed into the long grass and hit a hidden tree root and came off, landing heavily on my shoulder!
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

TrevA wrote:I’m sticking firmly to roads, after an incident on a riverside path in the first lockdown. Trying to avoid pedestrians on the busy path, I strayed into the long grass and hit a hidden tree root and came off, landing heavily on my shoulder!

I managed something similar, but in a park, avoiding a dog. It’s actually been far safer to use the main roads, as they have been less busy than they usually are.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:
TrevA wrote:I’m sticking firmly to roads, after an incident on a riverside path in the first lockdown. Trying to avoid pedestrians on the busy path, I strayed into the long grass and hit a hidden tree root and came off, landing heavily on my shoulder!

I managed something similar, but in a park, avoiding a dog. It’s actually been far safer to use the main roads, as they have been less busy than they usually are.

While I like dogs, a lot of their owners are a menace in letting them run around, across, and along shared cycle paths in lockdown.

The owners are oblivious to anything and look shocked when I pass by - oblivious to the fact that it is clearly a cycle path with signs denoting it’s on the NCN and oblivious to my ringing bell...
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
peetee

Post by peetee »

We did a walk along the south west coast path yesterday. While stopping for a cuppa we were passed by a group of 28 people of varying ages. :shock: They were all chatting so it wasn’t just a traffic jam of several groups.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
mjr

Post by mjr »

peetee wrote: 3 Apr 2021, 3:04pm We did a walk along the south west coast path yesterday. While stopping for a cuppa we were passed by a group of 28 people of varying ages. :shock: They were all chatting so it wasn’t just a traffic jam of several groups.
I am sure I saw a local walking group post online that they are now allowed up to 30 by agreement between their national governing body and DCMS if they have sufficient marshals (which that one does not so they are limiting it to 12).

I assume this is similar to how Brutish Cycling and CUK are allowed 15 while cycling groups that don't pay any government poodle are limited to 6.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

mjr wrote: 3 Apr 2021, 3:49pm
peetee wrote: 3 Apr 2021, 3:04pm We did a walk along the south west coast path yesterday. While stopping for a cuppa we were passed by a group of 28 people of varying ages. :shock: They were all chatting so it wasn’t just a traffic jam of several groups.

while cycling groups that don't pay any government poodle are limited to 6.
Like that’s been stopping them going out in much larger groups.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Marcus Aurelius wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 12:43pm
while cycling groups that don't pay any government poodle are limited to 6.
Like that’s been stopping them going out in much larger groups.
Well, yes, there's so little enforcement that all these restrictions only trouble the law-abiding. Hopefully, there is some reason to them and we're rewarded with less chance of catching the damn bug.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

I am sure I saw a local walking group post online that they are now allowed up to 30 by agreement between their national governing body and DCMS if they have sufficient marshals (which that one does not so they are limiting it to 12).

I assume this is similar to how Brutish Cycling and CUK are allowed 15 while cycling groups that don't pay any government poodle are limited to 6.
We saw a large group of walkers back in August in the New Forest when we were still restricted to cycling in groups of 6, further investigation showed they could have groups of up 30 on a ramble, which did seem contrary to everything we were doing...
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

Bells are fairly pointless because walkers either have headphones on or are wilfully ignorant.
mjr

Post by mjr »

rogerzilla wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 1:48pm Bells are fairly pointless because walkers either have headphones on or are wilfully ignorant.
And walkers that are neither should be punished because of the other ones, right? :roll:
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

If you call not ringing a bell punishment, I suppose. The peds have right of way so they can be as obstructive as they like, even on the "bike side", I'm afraid, and don't have to make room for bikes. If you want to make rapid progress, cyclepaths are not the solution.
mjr

Post by mjr »

rogerzilla wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 2:54pm If you call not ringing a bell punishment, I suppose. The peds have right of way so they can be as obstructive as they like, even on the "bike side", I'm afraid, and don't have to make room for bikes. If you want to make rapid progress, cyclepaths are not the solution.
Well, enough walkers complain about silent passing cyclists that I think it is regarded as punitive.

I agree walkers have priority but I disagree about cycleways not being for rapid progress. They are the only way to avoid motorist-inflicted slowdowns like potholes and traffic lights.