Lockdown crowds!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mjr

Re: Lockdown crowds!

Post by mjr »

brianleach wrote:When I go out now I am actually looking at ways to get home without going through the centre of Winchester. The narrow roads are so choked with pedestrians it is virtually impossible to cycle as they stretch across the road and inevitably have their backs to you! I could just go along ringing my bell but that always seems a bit arrogant to me (get out of my way I'm coming through). Also with social distancing it becomes a bit like a cycle slalom course. Of course they have as much right to be there as me although perhaps not on the road?

No, they have as much right to be on the road. They are just usually bullied off it by motorists.

Ringing your bell is not normally a "get out of my way", but a polite "I am here" instead of sneaking up on people. But if it is so busy, slowing right down or finding another route are the best options.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

I've stopped ringing my bell behind people now as it seems to startle them as much as not giving any warning. I usually shout a friendly good morning/afternoon whilst slowing down but even that can startle if you are not expecting it. As you say avoidance is probably the best policy.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

brianleach wrote:I usually shout a friendly good morning/afternoon whilst slowing down...

Me too. And a "Thank you" after they respond, and sometimes when they don't.

Jonathan
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

Me too. And a "Thank you" after they respond, and sometimes when they don't

Its not possible in central Winchester though. Just too many people walking.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Jdsk wrote:
ChrisButch wrote:A lot of it seems to be a bizarre psychological lurch - 'permission to exercise' somehow interpreted as 'requirement to exercise'. Which might explain why, on the lifting of restrictions last summer, the numbers of 'Covid exercisers' rapidly shrank almost to pre-lockdown levels.

I'm not sure that I saw those patterns. Could they also be explained by the amount of motorised traffic? Was there a difference between on-road and off-road exercise?

Jonathan

I live opening on to a village green. Last March a quiet green was suddenly like the High Street. Then the people disappeared, coming back in October/November following further lockdown.
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Oldjohnw wrote:
Jdsk wrote:
ChrisButch wrote:A lot of it seems to be a bizarre psychological lurch - 'permission to exercise' somehow interpreted as 'requirement to exercise'. Which might explain why, on the lifting of restrictions last summer, the numbers of 'Covid exercisers' rapidly shrank almost to pre-lockdown levels.

I'm not sure that I saw those patterns. Could they also be explained by the amount of motorised traffic? Was there a difference between on-road and off-road exercise?

I live opening on to a village green. Last March a quiet green was suddenly like the High Street. Then the people disappeared, coming back in October/November following further lockdown.

Do you think that was "I have to stay at home so I'll go for a walk" or "I'm not at home because I'm at work or have gone somewhere else"?

Thanks

Jonathan
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

Central Winchester is obviously a very touristy area so probably not representative. However I go out most weekends if the weather is half decent,probably returning via the centre 40% of the time and although it is very busy at the moment it has been pretty busy ever since the first lockdown.
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

Jdsk wrote:
KTHSullivan wrote:Went out yesterday for a spin up with the other half. Quite a few cyclists out and about, but it was a stonking day; no wind whatsoever and bright sunshine. We had a jelly baby stop half way around our regular 30 miler...........does that constitute an illegal picnic? LOL.

How many jelly babies were together at once? And were they from the same household?

Jonathan

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

brianleach wrote:I've stopped ringing my bell behind people now as it seems to startle them as much as not giving any warning. I usually shout a friendly good morning/afternoon whilst slowing down but even that can startle if you are not expecting it....

Likewise. I gave up using bell ages ago as so many people visibly jumped, looked round and took it as a "get out of my way you ..." message. Now I slow, call out "Good Morning" and get a lecture about why I should have a bell (to which I ring my bell). Actually it only seems to be people in walking boots that give a lecture about bells, horse riders, general casual wanderers, etc. are very friendly and appreciate use of words and often it will end-up with me stopping and chatting for a bit about all sorts of interesting stuff.

Ian
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Jdsk wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
Jdsk wrote:I'm not sure that I saw those patterns. Could they also be explained by the amount of motorised traffic? Was there a difference between on-road and off-road exercise?

Do you think that was "I have to stay at home so I'll go for a walk" or "I'm not at home because I'm at work or have gone somewhere else"?

Thanks

Jonathan

Actually, I don’t know. Just an observation.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 1 Mar 2021, 11:01am, edited 1 time in total.
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks

Jonathan
PH

Post by PH »

I was up and down some local tracks and through a couple of parks a few times yesterday, never seen them so busy or with such a variety of users, just about everything and all sorts, absolutely fantastic. The only disappointment was the few not taking into account how busy it was, I'm sad to say all of those were cyclists, including one who thought it appropriate to swear at a bunch of kids, being kids.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

PH wrote:....The only disappointment was the few not taking into account how busy it was, I'm sad to say all of those were cyclists, including one who thought it appropriate to swear at a bunch of kids, being kids.

I can't use 2-wheels these days but sometimes manage a walk and I have noticed there are two types of cyclist; most you exchange hellos with but weekends+sun+afternoon and one "type" of cyclist normally 20'somethings and couples and they ignore your hello as they pass.

Ian
Jon Lucas

Post by Jon Lucas »

simonhill wrote:Put aside the really serious aspects of the pandemic (death, economic woes, travel ban) what annoys me most is the litter. In particular the disposable coffee cups and lids and the brown polystyrene food boxes.

I live in a seaside area and it's great to see so many people out walking and cycling, however the consumption of takeways and coffee has resulted in piles of non degradable rubbish. There are plenty of bins but some choose not to use, others cram their rubbish in even when it's clearly full so it will soon fall out.

Add to that disposable facemasks and and you have the perfect Covid scene.

I always take my reusable mug if I go out for a walk or ride, and at any takeaway I always ask if they will fill it, and if they say they can't, due to the "rules", I go somewhere else. There is absolutely no reason for them not to, and certainly here in Bath, I know quite a few who will and have set up specially to encourage their use, by having a tray to put it on so that they don't need to touch the mug themselves.

Regarding lockdown crowds, most footpaths around us are now so muddy that it is impossible to use them without getting covered in the stuff, while the shared use paths like the Two Tunnels, which we live close to, are often too busy to feel that comfortable using them. Ironically, the city centre is actually usually very quiet, as there are so few tourists around.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Those of you claiming that ringing a bell startles people, have you a harsh bell and/or are you waiting until you are too close before ringing?

Please carry on with the bell. If you sneak up behind me while I'm walking and speak, I may well use my stick to ensure social distancing, if you know what I mean. :twisted:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.