Another cyclist on trial for manslaughter

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
thirdcrank

Re: Another cyclist on trial for manslaughter

Post by thirdcrank »

fastpedaller wrote:I suspect a lot has been lost in translation, rather than being misleading or false with facts.

That's what I was hinting at and I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear. With dodgy translations, be they in phrase books or something done by a computer, I generally find that with goodwill and a bit of understanding of how lingo works, it's possible to get the gist. I presume the article I quoted was translated into perhaps Albanian (or whatever they speak there) then back into English. I'm at a loss to see the origin of purple mild.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote:I'm at a loss to see the origin of purple mild.

Possibly:
red... purple
light... mild
red light... purple mild

Jonathan

PS: Google Translate is brilliant.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Not all languages have as many colour names as English does. Purple, in particular does not exist in all languages.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Well done. So he hit him with a red light. Bearing in mind this involves loss of a life, I'll not push that any further pending a result from Snaresbrook Crown Court, which I was seeking when I found that link.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Vorpal wrote:Not all languages have as many colour names as English does. Purple, in particular does not exist in all languages.

There's a thing I hadn't given any thought to until a few moments ago :)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"Through the Language Glass: How Words Colour Your World"
https://thebailliegiffordprize.co.uk/bo ... inemann-by
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2010/ ... -deutscher

Recommended, but not as good as "The Unfolding of Language".

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I've found this which seems a very detailed account of the hearing at Snaresbrook Crown Court. It's unusual in that it's a spoken account on youtube, but it's much more comprehensive than anything I've read.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MdBk3ozKC8
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks for the outcome.

"Loka was jailed for two years after being convicted at Snaresbrook Crown Court of causing bodily harm by wanton or furious driving.
"He was found not guilty of manslaughter and his time on remand will be deducted from his sentence."

Jonathan
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Jdsk wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 2:47pm Thanks for the outcome.

"Loka was jailed for two years after being convicted at Snaresbrook Crown Court of causing bodily harm by wanton or furious driving.
"He was found not guilty of manslaughter and his time on remand will be deducted from his sentence."

Jonathan
It seems to be about the right sentence when compared to other sentences received in recent years,
Also Similar cases of death by motor vehicle. I am not looking at the rights or wrongs just comparing to similar sentences.
NUKe

Post by thirdcrank »

Two years is the max for this offence, so the sentence here implies that this defendant committed the most serious form possible of the s35 offence.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Vi ... section/35
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

I am guessing but I suspect in the Current climate he will be deported upon release,
NUKe

Post by MikeF »

The court heard Mr Loka, 23, was travelling at about 15mph (24km/h). 24 is a bigger number, but road speed isn't measured in km/h in London, but 15mph doesn't sounds slow far the car driving court members.

Prosecutor Deanna Heer said the defendant had been "cycling with a degree of purpose" :? :? :?
Don't most (all) people travel with "with a degree of purpose"???

Ms Heer said the lights had been "on red for over five seconds" Who did the timing?

We are given only selected sentences (of words) to set the tone of feeling.

However the cyclist hasn't any excuse for not stopping after he had hit someone.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

There's a lot more which emerged during this thread. eg The timings of the lights seem to have been calculated by watching the CCTV recording of the incident.
climo

Post by climo »

A person died and the culprit who fled the scene gets 2 years for manslaughter. Should be at least 8 years. I know it's the max sentence but not anything like long enough and he'll be out in one. Life is cheap.