Coast to coast, and back....

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
[XAP]Bob

Coast to coast, and back....

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Good lunchtime ride...

Although when the coasts are only just over 5 miles apart it doesn't look nearly as impressive as it sounds :lol:
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Jamesh

Re: Coast to coast, and back....

Post by Jamesh »

Isle of Wight???

Cheers James
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

Isle of Man?
Richard M
Cardiff
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Isle of Wight or the Isle of man? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Might be the Isle of sheppey!
peetee

Post by peetee »

Lelant to Longrock?
Treen (Porthmeor) to Chyandour?
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Couldn't do that in a lunch time........I've heard one mile in cornwall equals 100ft of ascent!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Marazion to Hayle (and back) (So Lelant to Long Rock was a ridiculously good guess)

11 miles, 550 feet, 47 minutes - so not quite a hundred feet per mile, but I've only got a little lump between here and there, and there are a good couple of miles that are pancake flat at the far end.

Not too shabby for someone as seriously unfit as I am at the moment, carrying a fair bit more weight than I ought as well (shh).
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

South bank of Humber to North Bank and back coast to coast x 2. 8 minutes via Humber bridge; would have been quicker but too many peds.
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
peetee

Post by peetee »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Marazion to Hayle (and back) (So Lelant to Long Rock was a ridiculously good guess)

Thanks! 8)
Thinking about it, that was a more logical route given that my idea would involve the A30 which is far less attractive than the parallel Tredrea Lane which, no doubt, you took.
If I hadn’t been in so much of a hurry to post my guess before anyone else got it.... :lol:
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

peetee wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:Marazion to Hayle (and back) (So Lelant to Long Rock was a ridiculously good guess)

Thanks! 8)
Thinking about it, that was a more logical route given that my idea would involve the A30 which is far less attractive than the parallel Tredrea Lane which, no doubt, you took.
If I hadn’t been in so much of a hurry to post my guess before anyone else got it.... :lol:

Yeah - I have used the A30 west of PZ, but not east of it - Tredrea lane and whatever the road is south of that when Long lane turns off...

Did a 20 mile loop including going up chywoone hill yesterday, and my legs can feel it today... going to have to go out for gentle spin (I'll probably go east, so only as gentle as climbing out of Marazion gets)
peetee

Post by peetee »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
peetee wrote:

Thanks! 8)

Yeah - I have used the A30 west of PZ, but not east of it - Tredrea lane and whatever the road is south of that when Long lane turns off...

Did a 20 mile loop including going up chywoone hill yesterday, and my legs can feel it today... going to have to go out for gentle spin (I'll probably go east, so only as gentle as climbing out of Marazion gets)

Chywoon is a good ‘n. I remember the Tour of Britain riders coming down there in 1990 and they were leaving the team cars behind!
I did 26 miles off road yesterday and although I enjoyed every minute, in retrospect, it wasn’t a good move. I had my jab last week and although I feel well enough i don’t have any go in my legs. I’ll take a walk up the shops now but that will do it for today, I think. Shame cos it’s a good day to be out.:(
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

If I could come down on a closed road then that would be great - not so keen on it without the road being closed though, too many parked cars and not enough space/sightline to really let go.

On the way to the A30 from St Buryan there is a nice little dip *with* sightline, went from 10mph cresting the hill to 40+mph in a little over 30 seconds - I will admit to swearing at the top of that dip, I hadn't expected it to be quite that steep.
I had the sight lines to not have to brake though, which was good for going up the other side.
RodT

Post by RodT »

peetee and Bob, you both seem to be riding the same routes as me. I wonder if we ever see each other on the road? Give me a wave if we do. I’ll be on either a yellow Cinelli with Geoff bars or a dark blue tourer with drops.
Sorry for behaving as if this site’s a dating agency.
peetee

Post by peetee »

Sounds good to me (edit: not the dating agency bit :lol: )
Perhaps a cafe stop thrown in?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

RodT wrote:peetee and Bob, you both seem to be riding the same routes as me. I wonder if we ever see each other on the road? Give me a wave if we do. I’ll be on either a yellow Cinelli with Geoff bars or a dark blue tourer with drops.
Sorry for behaving as if this site’s a dating agency.
:lol: :lol:

I've ridden just about all the roads in Cornwall. I set myself a task some years ago, and have a map on my computer I "ink in" with a painting program to record them. Did all the Cornish parish churches too, so that was more roads. Crossed over all the bridges over the A30 too.

You name it, and (in Cornwall) I've cycled through it.
Went through St Buryan in August last year.
Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 15.10.20.png
Mick F. Cornwall