Potholes - County Councils avoiding responsibility

RKingston

Interview request: Have you hit a pothole? Or do you know a really bad stretch of road?

Post by RKingston »

Cycling UK has been contacted by a national news organisation following up our recent Pothole Watch campaign (https://www.cyclinguk.org/press-release ... -years-ago).

They are looking to film a segment talking to a cyclist who has been involved in an accident caused by a pothole, and also film a particularly bad stretch of potholed road. Ideally this would be a Cycling UK member but that's not essential.

If anyone has a suitable story and would be happy to be interviewed next week, please drop me a message or an email (robert.kingston at cyclinguk.org).

You can also fill in the form here: https://action.cyclinguk.org/page/16149/petition/1

(I've seen the recent post on this forum relating to an incident on a private estate road, but the focus here is on the state of public roads)
VinceLedge

Re: Interview request: Have you hit a pothole? Or do you know a really bad stretch of road?

Post by VinceLedge »

We have got plenty of really bad stretches of roads in the Scottish Borders at the moment, some are huge and deep.
Had a pair of wheels rebuild locally and the mechanic said he had had several people in with damaged rims from potholes.
Psamathe

Re: Interview request: Have you hit a pothole? Or do you know a really bad stretch of road?

Post by Psamathe »

RKingston wrote:Cycling UK has been contacted by a national news organisation following up our recent Pothole Watch campaign (https://www.cyclinguk.org/press-release ... -years-ago).

They are looking to film a segment talking to a cyclist who has been involved in an accident caused by a pothole, and also film a particularly bad stretch of potholed road. Ideally this would be a Cycling UK member but that's not essential.

If anyone has a suitable story and would be happy to be interviewed next week, please drop me a message or an email (robert.kingston at cyclinguk.org).

You can also fill in the form here: https://action.cyclinguk.org/page/16149/petition/1

(I've seen the recent post on this forum relating to an incident on a private estate road, but the focus here is on the state of public roads)

CUK would look ore serious about potholes if they updated their Fill that Hole app so it runs on newer screen layouts (actually now quite older iPhones as well; most without a "home button").

I've had to switch to the mySociety app (which is not liked by e.g. Norfolk County Council (from the e-mail responses I get from NCC).

Ian
Chris56

Post by Chris56 »

Not had any bad accidents but my daily commute takes me on route 6 of the national cycle network. One of the roads, Trentham Drive is absolutely awful for potholes. The road itself is flat, long and straight so perfect for sprinting but you really have to watch yourself
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

You could contact this person - it was on the same section of the forum: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=144737
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

how many 'pot holes' do you need to qualify? Around these parts some roads are more hole than road, it would be nigh on impossible to miss 'hitting' some of them. OTOH the hole that caused a trip to A&E last year is a solitary affair in an otherwise smooth road.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
RKingston

Post by RKingston »

Slowroad wrote:You could contact this person - it was on the same section of the forum: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=144737

Thanks, I did mention that I had seen this post but it looks as if it was on a private road. Potholes are a problem wherever they are, of course, but the news team were looking for problems on public roads.

@Psamathe - thanks for pointing this out. I know the Fillthathole page has been around for a few years now. I will mention that to the web team.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

@Psamathe - thanks for pointing this out. I know the Fillthathole page has been around for a few years now. I will mention that to the web team.

Thanks - I've never been able to get the app to work, I've got a 2018 android phone. I use our local council reporting form instaed, usually good, a bit slow at the moment...
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

RKingston wrote:
Slowroad wrote:You could contact this person - it was on the same section of the forum: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=144737

Thanks, I did mention that I had seen this post but it looks as if it was on a private road. Potholes are a problem wherever they are, of course, but the news team were looking for problems on public roads.

Not the website but the iOS phone app (iPhone) (I don't know about any Android app).

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

NB date.

Cycling UK is seeking personal stories of potholes:
https://action.cyclinguk.org/page/16149 ... m62rrQlHY0

Jonathan
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Typical CUK they still link to an app ‘fill that hole’ which they stopped supporting many years ago.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
jois

Post by jois »

RKingston wrote: 26 Mar 2021, 6:13pm Cycling UK has been contacted by a national news organisation following up our recent Pothole Watch campaign (https://www.cyclinguk.org/press-release ... -years-ago).

I hit them with great frequency. If I'm on a suspension bike I just ride straight over them. If I'm on a rigid I just ride straight over them unless its more than say 3 inchess in depth. Then I go round them if I can. If not I just ride straight over them. Ones filled with water are a bit hard to judge. So I suspect the worse and brace accordingly

It's the ones you don't see that can catch you out.

A couple of years ago I was riding with max 28mm tyres . That was greatly uncomfortable on anything but snooker table smooth surfaces of which we have non round here. So I threw it in the skip and got one with 2" tyres
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Some years ago a cyclist was killed when he was brought off by a pothole and hit by a passing vehiclec I suspect that this is not the only time that this has happened.

If it is possible to compile a national list of these it would emphasise the danger presented by potholes
fastpedaller

Potholes - County Councils avoiding responsibility

Post by fastpedaller »

It would be interesting to hear views from other folk.......
A couple of recent examples
1) I saw a horrendous pothole on a roundabout near Cambridge - trying to report this wasn't easy and not possible through a 3rd party eg Fillthathole or similar. I tried the Cambridge CC site and (if considered an immediate danger) the instruction is to telephone. They 'took a statement' over the 'phone, from which they compiled a report. A couple of days later I got an email (from a 'do not respond source') stating they would do nothing because the roundabout is due to be resurfaced in the next financial year and the case was closed, no means of responding.
In desperation I sent an email to the Cambridgeshire Police Commissioner's office, making them fully aware of my displeasure with the Council - they said they would try to help, but it wasn't an 'operational matter' they deal with - I pointed out that a fatality due to the pothole might mean they have to intervene! They eventually emailed that the Council have told them the roundabout will be resurface in the 2023 fiscal year, and they (PC office) just accepted that, although if could be (at the time reported) between 7 or 19 months away.
Nobody seems to take responsibility any more (maybe I'm getting old and cynical)
2) The B road through our Norfolk village had a really bad pothole near the road centre (looked like a sinkhole developing) which I saw yesterday (Monday - heavy rain all day). Norfolk County Council help page on the website keeps directing towards emailing them - the telephone number was found as a 'last resort' measure if the hole is dangerous. BTW when I pulled up the Council map it showed the hole as noted on Friday. On the 'phone nearly an hour on hold,with a message repeatedly stating 'we monitor our calls, our operators are busy can you report via email'. i eventually gave up and called 101 Police non-emergency number and told them the situation, they said it was down to the Council, so explained it was impossible to contact the Council for an emergency. The Police said they may get a patrol to take a look, but the helpful lady also said she may contact the Council (direct 'red' phone?) A couple of hours after, my Wife was going to the local town, and found the road had been closed - RESULT, but it should be easier to get a result than involving the Police.
Three guys were there today, one already waist-deep and still digging) :shock:
Jdsk

Re: Potholes - County Councils avoiding responsibility

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 25 Sep 2022, 10:41amCycling UK is seeking personal stories of potholes:
https://action.cyclinguk.org/page/16149 ... m62rrQlHY0
[topics merged by moderator]

Jonathan