Lost my MOJO

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
chesterpete

Re: Lost my MOJO

Post by chesterpete »

Perhaps you are coming down with something. Our bodies have a way of taking control if they are under the weather.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I do the same rides again and again, no problem, the weather and views change daily, hourly. But please, what is a MoJo? Is it anything to do with bojo? :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Interesting - I had assumed it was a slang abbreviation for ‘motivation’.
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

A significant proportion of sayings/maxims/aphorisms etc spring from the fact that we were at one time a maritime nation. "between the devil and the deep blue sea", "Garbled", Bitter End" etc. And of course my favourite "Three Sheets to the Wind". :wink:
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
nez

Post by nez »

KTHSullivan wrote:A significant proportion of sayings/maxims/aphorisms etc spring from the fact that we were at one time a maritime nation. "between the devil and the deep blue sea", "Garbled", Bitter End" etc. And of course my favourite "Three Sheets to the Wind". :wink:

Free sheets not three. It means you’re in a mess because the sails and spars are not controlled. Modern sailors would say you’ve backed the sail.
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

nez wrote:
KTHSullivan wrote:A significant proportion of sayings/maxims/aphorisms etc spring from the fact that we were at one time a maritime nation. "between the devil and the deep blue sea", "Garbled", Bitter End" etc. And of course my favourite "Three Sheets to the Wind". :wink:

Free sheets not three. It means you’re in a mess because the sails and spars are not controlled. Modern sailors would say you’ve backed the sail.

Thanks for that I will tear my Master Mariners Certification up immediately

"three sheets to the wind"

On a three-masted ship, having the sheets of the three lower courses loose will result in the ship meandering aimlessly downwind. Also used to describe a sailor who has drunk strong spirits beyond his capacity. :roll:
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

KTHSullivan wrote:A significant proportion of sayings/maxims/aphorisms etc spring from the fact that we were at one time a maritime nation. "between the devil and the deep blue sea", "Garbled", Bitter End" etc. And of course my favourite "Three Sheets to the Wind".

I know the maritime meaning of garbled but I don't think that common usage comes from that, more the other way round...

Jonathan
nez

Post by nez »

KTHSullivan wrote:
nez wrote:

Thanks for that I will tear my Master Mariners Certification up immediately

"three sheets to the wind"

On a three-masted ship, having the sheets of the three lower courses loose will result in the ship meandering aimlessly downwind. Also used to describe a sailor who has drunk strong spirits beyond his capacity. :roll:

That's more or less the same explanation, except swapping 'free' and 'three.' Dictionaries repeat things, in this case the idea than people only ever sailed ship-rigged vessels.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The meaning would work either way, but I don't think that I've ever heard "free sheets to the wind" meaning drunk. Is there a reference, please?

Thanks

Jonathan
nez

Post by nez »

'heard' or 'seen' Jonathan? Round here it has to be written before you can tell the difference! ;-)
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

Jdsk wrote:
KTHSullivan wrote:A significant proportion of sayings/maxims/aphorisms etc spring from the fact that we were at one time a maritime nation. "between the devil and the deep blue sea", "Garbled", Bitter End" etc. And of course my favourite "Three Sheets to the Wind".

I know the maritime meaning of garbled but I don't think that common usage comes from that, more the other way round...

Jonathan

Garbling was mixing dry cargoes with rubbish/sawdust etc to increase its volume, hence the common consideration that garbled in common modern usage means mixed up. A while back the "tonnage" of a ship and hence it's cargo carrying capacity was defined by its internal volume. Where one registered ton would be equal to 100 cubic feet, 2.83 cubic metres. I know it sound insane but that could encompass 2.83 tonnes of fresh water. That was known as the "Gross Register Tonnage". So in the hold of a ship one could be carrying for example Iron ore which would occupy a smaller volume per tonne than say grain. But the ship would be charged the same port duties as the ships size or it's cargo carrying capacity has not been altered between cargoes.

Most of the port dues etc are defined by the now "Gross tonnage" which has effectively the same volumetric constraints but now utilises Christian units (M^3).

Kev
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Yes, that's the maritime meaning. But I think it was in common English usage meaning mixed before that...

Jonathan
nez

Post by nez »

KTHSullivan wrote:
Jdsk wrote:

Jonathan

Garbling was mixing dry cargoes with rubbish/sawdust etc to increase its volume, hence the common consideration that garbled in common modern usage means mixed up. A while back the "tonnage" of a ship and hence it's cargo carrying capacity was defined by its internal volume. Where one registered ton would be equal to 100 cubic feet, 2.83 cubic metres. I know it sound insane but that could encompass 2.83 tonnes of fresh water. That was known as the "Gross Register Tonnage". So in the hold of a ship one could be carrying for example Iron ore which would occupy a smaller volume per tonne than say grain. But the ship would be charged the same port duties as the ships size or it's cargo carrying capacity has not been altered between cargoes.

Most of the port dues etc are defined by the now "Gross tonnage" which has effectively the same volumetric constraints but now utilises Christian units (M^3).

Kev

You've just explained something about those different sorts of tons which I never understood. My boat is marked in thames tons and I've often wondered 'why have two sorts?'
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

nez wrote:
KTHSullivan wrote:
Jdsk wrote:I know the maritime meaning of garbled but I don't think that common usage comes from that, more the other way round...

Jonathan

Kev

You've just explained something about those different sorts of tons which I never understood. My boat is marked in thames tons and I've often wondered 'why have two sorts?'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thames_Measurement