Lost my MOJO

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
KTHSullivan

Lost my MOJO

Post by KTHSullivan »

Out this morning for my regular 5 x a week 20-25 miler to keep the legs in until the weather improves did about 4 miles and either fell over the cliff with the knock or could not be bothered. Turned around and came home 7.8 miles in total. I am absolutely cream crackered and have just had a "nanner nap". Perhaps it's my age; perhaps it's the ennui of covid, who knows.
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
IanH

Re: Lost my MOJO

Post by IanH »

This is a sad tale. I think we've all experienced this at some time, and I'd like to suggest trying a new route or maybe a different bike, or perhaps a new activity altogether. Either way, I'd say that "tomorrow will be a good day" (in the words of Captain Tom). Remember, it's a ride, not a race.
I hope your MOJO comes back soon.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

You’re probably just overdoing it a bit. Take a week off, see how you feel.
peetee

Post by peetee »

As above. A change of pace works wonders. I’ve ditched the road bike for three months and walked or done gentle off-road rides instead. Yesterday was my first ride ‘pushing the pace’ and was my fastest ride since I returned to cycling 18 months ago.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Sounds like boredom to me. I've not been greatly enthused since the NY, the weather hasn't helped any but i've passed a few good ride days because i couldn't raise the beans. I may be coming out of it now, quite enjoyed the 100 miler yesterday where 100km has been a chore.

A change in the routine may help, fewer rides mayhap, go for a good walk instead, perhaps vary the distance, give yourself a target, say a fifty mile ride.

Most of us get to this point somewhere down the line, the current restrictions haven't been helping of course but don't despair, a break is as good as a rest :)
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

How about setting yourself a destination perhaps a coffee and cake stop, the seaside or a summit?

Going round in circles has done my mojo in!

I'm thinking of Hawes next Saturday.

Cheers James
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Jamesh wrote:How about setting yourself a destination perhaps a coffee and cake stop, the seaside or a summit?

Cheers James

I like Mick F's campaigns to ride to all churches, or bridges etc. I have found interesting destinations help me too. Visiting all the local artesian springs is my favourite. Another was target was brick castles in this area.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

Thanks all, swapped bike this morning and went out on the MTB, completely different route and scenery. Crashed in about 45 miles in the Lincolnshire Wolds, mostly all off road so I guess I was getting stale. Also the warmer weather here at the moment is certainly helping. Like the idea of themed rides I might dig out my copy of Pevsner.

Cheers-me-dears.

Kev
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

Jamesh wrote:How about setting yourself a destination perhaps a coffee and cake stop, the seaside or a summit?

Cheers James

How about bench-mark bagging?

https://www.bench-marks.org.uk/

Always something to see somewhere :-)

cheers,

Keith
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

As mentioned above, it's the boredom of routine. Lockdown has made it tough - I've passed up ride days as well simply due to boredom of the same old routes in and out of where I live but what helps is setting challenges or goals. Doing the same couple of 20-25 miles routes 5x a week is little short of commuting and you won't see any fitness gains - probably quite the opposite as your body becomes stuck in that rut.

Do you have a Strava account? You can link that to something called Wandrer which looks at new roads you've ridden. The aim being to ride all the roads in a particular zone. A mate did this on a day off the other week, rode every single road in the town. It actually came out at nearly 50 miles but obviously wasn't the fastest ride ever as it involved going up and down a load of cul-de-sacs. He enjoyed it though, found some new roads and trails and it was just something a bit different.
https://wandrer.earth/

Explorer Squares is a similar one, you have to ride at least one road/trail within a grid square, the aim being to amass as many touching squares as possible:
https://blog.veloviewer.com/veloviewer- ... ax-square/

That's done through VeloViewer which can also link to your Strava. Strava itself has monthly challenges for distance and climbing and various partner companies offer up their own challenges to win vouchers, discounts, prize draw entry etc It's not all speed and power and KOMs!

Or pick a themed ride. Road names with a common theme, local landmarks, every bridge over a river, crossing a county, riding around a county boundary, a "tribute ride" to a race - at the moment with Tour of Flanders and the other One Day Classics it's easy enough to find a ride with some cobbled sectors or gravel road sectors for example. With a Grand Tour you can pick the Queen Stage, take that amount of climbing and aim to do that in (say) a week. Or try Strava Art - spelling out a word or "drawing" a picture using a GPS trace. There's an entire Instagram feed and website devoted to it!
https://www.strav.art/home
nez

Post by nez »

KTHSullivan wrote:Out this morning for my regular 5 x a week 20-25 miler to keep the legs in until the weather improves did about 4 miles and either fell over the cliff with the knock or could not be bothered. Turned around and came home 7.8 miles in total. I am absolutely cream crackered and have just had a "nanner nap". Perhaps it's my age; perhaps it's the ennui of covid, who knows.

Was it windy? Nothing knocks it out of me like windy weather. I can take rain or cold but a headwind stops me.
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

KTHSullivan wrote:Out this morning for my regular 5 x a week 20-25 miler to keep the legs in until the weather improves did about 4 miles and either fell over the cliff with the knock or could not be bothered. Turned around and came home 7.8 miles in total. I am absolutely cream crackered and have just had a "nanner nap". Perhaps it's my age; perhaps it's the ennui of covid, who knows.

Wish I had the energy and fitness to do half of what you do, the body is a funny thing and maybe a bit of recuperation and goals will get you back to it.
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

nez wrote:

Was it windy? Nothing knocks it out of me like windy weather. I can take rain or cold but a headwind stops me.

It is always windy here, costal and flat. I have got used to it over the years. Just think I had a could not be bothered moment. I have been going around the same run like a hamster on a wheel for the last year keeping the legs in for the now effectively cancelled run into Europe this summer.
nez

Post by nez »

KTHSullivan wrote:
nez wrote:

It is always windy here, costal and flat. I have got used to it over the years. Just think I had a could not be bothered moment. I have been going around the same run like a hamster on a wheel for the last year keeping the legs in for the now effectively cancelled run into Europe this summer.

Here too (Essex). But more windy sometimes than others. Good luck anyway. Spring is in, it's Easter next, they haven't actually cancelled the Roubaix yet etc etc
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I can understand this, but not in the last 2 days. Yesterday sun was out and wind dropping after gales at the weekend. Today even more sun and wind almost zero. It eventually picked up as the tide came in and was on my back all the way home.

Only downside today was that I had arranged to have a coffee in friend's garden. Very pleasant but reduced cycling. Same tomorrow, except a beer in the Old Town with nephew.

Definitely struggled to get out during the winter when cold, wet and windy, but not last couple of days.