How to tackle restrictive gates / barriers

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Jdsk

Re: How to tackle restrictive gates / barriers

Post by Jdsk »

Cyril Haearn wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 6:24pm Nearly all motorcycles with rider are heavier than nearly all cycles with rider. Perhaps some genius could devise a sprung platform to be put in a cycle path, it would sink if loaded over 200 kg, creating a vertical step so motorbikes could not continue. A simple mechanical device with a spring
As discussed above. I don't think that could be done in a way that was sufficiently cheap, robust and safe.

Jonathan
pete75

Post by pete75 »

The biggets selling bike sin the UK are Touring/ Adventure type bikes like the BMW R1200GS. Second in the sales are high performance sports bikes. I don't think the riders of either of these are particularly keen on using cycle tracks. Just who are all these motorcyclists who want to use them?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Cyril Haearn wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 6:24pm Nearly all motorcycles with rider are heavier than nearly all cycles with rider. Perhaps some genius could devise a sprung platform to be put in a cycle path, it would sink if loaded over 200 kg, creating a vertical step so motorbikes could not continue. A simple mechanical device with a spring
Typical trail bike like the off road youths ride weighs 234 lbs (Yam YZ250F), add a youthful rider of 120 lbs. Total = 350 pounds ish which is way under your 200kg. Also a sprung loaded step is an obvious health and safety legal minefield.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

pete75 wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 6:29pm The biggets selling bike sin the UK are Touring/ Adventure type bikes like the BMW R1200GS. Second in the sales are high performance sports bikes. I don't think the riders of either of these are particularly keen on using cycle tracks. Just who are all these motorcyclists who want to use them?
Since an earlier post I've been pondering whether it is now less common to see powered bikes on prohibited tracks.

Most of what I have ever seen have been low value low powered trail or stripped down bikes.

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 19 Apr 2021, 9:16pm, edited 1 time in total.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

I must admit that I’ve only ever seen one trails motorbike on a restricted access cycle path in over 30 years - and I’ve been using one particular path daily, or twice daily, for the last three years.

I’m sceptical whether it is a massive problem.

Apologies in advance as I normally read a whole thread and, on this occasion, only dipped in.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I don't think anybody is suggesting that what might be called serious motor cyclists have any interest using these off-road routes but IME - obviously not recent, - beaten-up old mopeds, scrambler bikes and similar can be a real pain on routes like former railway tracks and also on large area, open parks etc and they can be difficult to deal with. the "Section 59" provision was partly aimed at this type of nuisance behaviour. When what is now the Spen Valley Greenway was in its early stages, the West Yorkshire Police motorcycle unit, which had some scrambling bikes as well as the bigger road bikes was locally reported to have done a lot of voluntary patrolling to tackle this problem.

https://www.sustrans.org.uk/find-a-rout ... -greenway/

IME - again not recent, reports usually come from residents fed up to the teeth with the noise, especially when silencers have been removed or have dropped off. I doubt if the riders ever travel more than a mile or two to get to their chosen place.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Trail bikes and crossers might be a problem in some areas, but probably more in fields and woods than linear paths. Scooters, normally stolen and then burnt, are the main type of PTW on paths. This is mostly a nocturnal pursuit so the actual riding and burning are rarely encountered.

In fact, just as the Humber Bridge closure is the fallout of social problems, so is the use of cycle paths by motorcycles. Bored kids > steal scooter > etc.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Good thing no-one with a power wheelchair could ever want to take a walk...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Jdsk wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 6:38pm
pete75 wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 6:29pm The biggets selling bike sin the UK are Touring/ Adventure type bikes like the BMW R1200GS. Second in the sales are high performance sports bikes. I don't think the riders of either of these are particularly keen on using cycle tracks. Just who are all these motorcyclists who want to use them?
Since an earlier post I've been pondering whether it is now less common to see powered bikes on prohibited tracks.

Most of what I have ever seen have been low value low powered trail or stripped down bikes.

Jonathan
Probably just kids with nowhere else to ride. Given I did similar years ago I'll not condemn them. In my early teens we rode elderly BSA Bantams and the like on farm tracks. Back then farmers didn't seem to mind nor did Forestry Commission workers when we rode them on woodland ridings.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker