How to tackle restrictive gates / barriers

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
backnotes

Re: How to tackle restrictive gates / barriers

Post by backnotes »

The Taff Trail barriers pictured above are at least fairly up-front about their presence in daylight. Fairly close to me is the so-called Bar Hill Cycleway which features several of these barriers (below). You can just about squeeze through with drops once you know they are there, but to make it more of an exciting challenge at night, only the middle post (i.e. the one on the right below), has any reflective tape. On a murky day, or at night, they are hard to spot and negotiate if you are not aware, and are lulled into a false sense of security by the good surface. These are part way along the path, on an unlit section, rather than at the start or end of it where they might arguably restrict access by motorbikes etc. Helpful of the graffiti artist to retro-fit some high-contrast detail to the otherwise featureless post on the left.

IMG_0956 (1).jpg
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

I am interested to hear how recumbents riders manage with cycle barriers?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

SWB recumbent such as my KingCycle: no particular problems anywhere.

Trike such as my Windcheetah: awkward with lots of barriers, cars, trains etc. There isn't a dimension that's small.

Upright tandem: no problem with the type of barrier in the picture, very awkward with barriers through which you have to wiggle, and with stiles and similar and trains.

Jonathan
mjr

Post by mjr »

backnotes wrote: 5 Apr 2021, 12:52pmOn a murky day, or at night, they are hard to spot and negotiate if you are not aware, and are lulled into a false sense of security by the good surface.
Known locally as "hip breakers" but I do not know if that started from an incident. I do not think any survive in the borough, removed at a similar time to "pedal catchers" which are also impossible for wheelchairs.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

VinceLedge wrote: 5 Apr 2021, 1:55pm I am interested to hear how recumbents riders manage with cycle barriers?
I would now write and insist that they were removed, or modified to allow me to pass under the equalities act.

They tend to be pain in either a wheelchair or on a trike, and I can’t ride two wheels.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

VinceLedge wrote: 5 Apr 2021, 1:55pm I am interested to hear how recumbents riders manage with cycle barriers?
Generally they are a nightmare, our Ketweisel recumbent trike tandem often has to be separated and manhandled through them. We once had to call upon help from the local youths sitting on the gates; they were brilliant :D

The irony was that we were only taking the cycle path to avoid delaying impatient drivers :?
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Alas! If only the Equality Act were that sensible. It does not do what its name implies. To claim something as "ableist" under the EA, you (the claimant) have to have a recognized disability. The Act then provides a mechanism under which an individual with a disability may claim recompense – sometimes this is removal of the barrier, more usually it is monetary compensation – for the discriminatory treatment they have suffered as a result of something not being designed in such a way as to enable the disabled person to do the same as an able-bodied person. Until someone with such a disability claims, the Act imposes no duties. The Act does not mean that barriers (etc) have to designed in a way that makes them easy for everyone to pass. It is in fact unfit for purpose (unless its purpose were to pay lip service to equality while changing nothing).

Here's a relevant post about one man's experience: https://yorkcyclecampaign.bike/2021/03/ ... -barriers/
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 2:52pm Alas! If only the Equality Act were that sensible. It does not do what its name implies. To claim something as "ableist" under the EA, you (the claimant) have to have a recognized disability. The Act then provides a mechanism under which an individual with a disability may claim recompense – sometimes this is removal of the barrier, more usually it is monetary compensation – for the discriminatory treatment they have suffered as a result of something not being designed in such a way as to enable the disabled person to do the same as an able-bodied person. Until someone with such a disability claims, the Act imposes no duties. The Act does not mean that barriers (etc) have to designed in a way that makes them easy for everyone to pass. It is in fact unfit for purpose (unless its purpose were to pay lip service to equality while changing nothing).

Here's a relevant post about one man's experience: https://yorkcyclecampaign.bike/2021/03/ ... -barriers/

I have a recognised disability - I haven't had to take one on yet though.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Somewhere I have a photo of the rider of an upright trike removing a rear wheel so that he could wriggle through.

In one place I met a barrier when on tour. I removed my bags so that I could carry them through before lifting the trike to almost head height to get through. Consequently I avoid all such routes, especially when on tour.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 2:52pm Here's a relevant post about one man's experience: https://yorkcyclecampaign.bike/2021/03/ ... -barriers/
The most encouraging thing in that article is that the awful barriers shown (the familiar handlebar-bumpers but with an added bottom-bracket-breaking metal slot footplate) are custom made for that place. I hope they do not spread!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I've seen similar "slot footplates" in the Gloucestershire region several years ago. Can't remember whether actual Gloucestershire, South Glos, or maybe BANES.
TimeTraveller

Post by TimeTraveller »

We have so many of those tight barriers round my way on just about most of the cycle rights of way.. ( was told to stop MOtorcycles having fun)

I often do a route near me with more barriers than needed and do a little shopping while out, I find I often have to lift the front of the bike up and turn the bars to get through..
My often full rear bags the catch also....
Bit of a chew on.....

and all for my safety....
then theres the on going issue with cars parked in the cycle lanes on busy roads, forcing me out into the traffic.. Hmmm and the council says my safety is always a priority
the-public-footpath-a-frame-barrier-to-stop-misuse-of-the-path-by-motorbikes-2D98B8B.jpg
unnamed.jpg
photos just stock....
Pete... I think
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 2:52pm Here's a relevant post about one man's experience: https://yorkcyclecampaign.bike/2021/03/ ... -barriers/
This sounds like a good issue for the cyclists defence fund to take up. Hammer LAs with an avalanche of injunctions every time one of the barriers goes up then the effective cost of erecting them goes from a few hundred quid to hundreds of thousands. If it is just an odd persistent bloody-minded individual then they can just brush them off - or in the worst case pay off that one particularly persistent individual. If on the other hand they know that any barrier will attract multiple legal action from every disabled cyclist within 20 miles then they will think twice.

Also, once a barrier has been declared illegal that could legitimise a concerned citizen with an angle grinder taking direct action.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Pete Owens wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 4:33pmIf it is just an odd persistent bloody-minded individual then they can just brush them off - or in the worst case pay off that one particularly persistent individual. If on the other hand they know that any barrier will attract multiple legal action from every disabled cyclist within 20 miles then they will think twice.
Couldn't agree more. Collective action can help enormously. Cynicism not so much.

Pete Owens wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 4:33pmAlso, once a barrier has been declared illegal that could legitimise a concerned citizen with an angle grinder taking direct action.
In England? I doubt it for either damages in a civil action or in criminal damage. But it might deter prosecution or mitigate in sentencing.

Are there any test cases?

Jonathan