How to tackle restrictive gates / barriers

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Bmblbzzz

Re: How to tackle restrictive gates / barriers

Post by Bmblbzzz »

The trouble is that most disabled people have a lot of other things to use their energy on just to cope with the daily living most of us take for granted.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 9:20pm The trouble is that most disabled people have a lot of other things to use their energy on just to cope with the daily living most of us take for granted.
Yes - very much so, the only word I think is probably misplaced is the "most".
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
a.twiddler

Post by a.twiddler »

VinceLedge wrote: 5 Apr 2021, 1:55pm I am interested to hear how recumbents riders manage with cycle barriers?
My Linear can be got through this type of barrier though at 88" long with the path being offset it can be a challenge. With this particular one being on a steep hill it can be cycled through downhill but it involves paddling to get through in the other direction. The mirror needs readjusting if it makes contact on the way through. It is this type of thing that has discouraged me from trying a trike so far. I haven't measured the width with a tape. It's possible that some of the narrower track trikes might manage it.

I can also get it through bike accessible swinging gates by standing it on the back wheel and wriggling through, though it would be a bit tedious to have to do many on one outing.

The top corners of the seat just clear the inward sloping part of the barrier.

None of this is helpful to someone in a wheelchair or who uses a trike to boost their mobility who wants to access the facilities on the other side. This is an access route to a sports field with indoor facilities.
Attachments
P1010845.JPG
Last edited by a.twiddler on 15 Apr 2021, 10:36am, edited 2 times in total.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

It's all indicative of a rather twisted mindset in which providing access is about who you keep out not what you do to help the supposed beneficiaries.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

Any suggestions as to what sort of cyclist this one was designed for?
https://www.cyclestreets.net/location/167298/
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

Pete Owens wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 10:09pm Any suggestions as to what sort of cyclist this one was designed for?
Small children for the one on the left? Is it possible riggle an adult sized bike though the gate on the right?
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Boggle! Perhaps there is something less "fun challenge" to the right?
RickH

Post by RickH »

But there's a problem with motorbikes on the path...

(watch to the end, it's less than 3 minutes)
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Box trike, Pedersen with two-wheel trailer, box bike... quite a collection! :D
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 10:05am Box trike, Pedersen with two-wheel trailer, box bike... quite a collection! :D
Here in the Brizzle area those type of set ups are fairly common along with all manner of cargo/child carrying machines many of which cannot access easily, if at all, parts of the cycling infrastructure. Its not just A type width barriers either, there are a lot of barrier type chicanes, crank bashers and kissing gates which are difficult to get through with a standard bike let alone anything out of the ordinary!

Surely its not beyond the bounds of man to come up with better anti m/cycle features without causing so many issues for the intended users? Indeed, are m/cycles actually a problem or is it just a perceived issue? I certainly haven't come across any m/c's on cycle tracks in many years, dogs, horses, pushchairs, mobility scooters, small children and electric scooters OTOH are rife :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

The Railway Path is full of motorcycles. Charred remains of. Extremely rare to see one being ridden – I can only remember one occasion in the last ten years or so.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

foxyrider wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 10:52amSurely its not beyond the bounds of man to come up with better anti m/cycle features without causing so many issues for the intended users?
I can't identify a property of motorcycles that could be used to discriminate in a way that would be sufficiently cheap, robust and safe. You could use mass, as is done for red and grey squirrels, but that's going to fail on at least two of those. Or temperature, but ditto.

As CycleSheffield put it:

"We know of no design in the world which could do the job. Since motorcycles and various types of pedal cycles have similar dimensions, motorcycles cannot be physically prevented without also preventing legitimate cycle users (and inconveniencing everyone)."

https://www.cyclesheffield.org.uk/2017/ ... cle-paths/

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Pete Owens wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 10:09pm Any suggestions as to what sort of cyclist this one was designed for?
Looking at the shapes incorporated, it does make you wonder what they were trying to achieve. What's the statues of the route it blocks? The only sign I can see is for a public footpath.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

foxyrider wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 10:52am
Surely its not beyond the bounds of man to come up with better anti m/cycle features without causing so many issues for the intended users? Indeed, are m/cycles actually a problem or is it just a perceived issue? I certainly haven't come across any m/c's on cycle tracks in many years, dogs, horses, pushchairs, mobility scooters, small children and electric scooters OTOH are rife :lol:
The problem is that both push bikes (DF ones at least) and motorbikes are basically the same size , since that size is determined by the requiem that to sit a human on top.

If you also require access for wheelchairs then there is a hole through which any motorcycle is likely to fit...

ANPR would be the answer, if it didn’t just mean that a bin bag would be put over the plates.

Time to have all motor vehicles RFID tagged to detect and penalise offenders... oh I’m sorry is that too intrusive? Pardon me for wanting to access public infrastructure.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Nearly all motorcycles with rider are heavier than nearly all cycles with rider. Perhaps some genius could devise a sprung platform to be put in a cycle path, it would sink if loaded over 200 kg, creating a vertical step so motorbikes could not continue. A simple mechanical device with a spring
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies